Part 77

"Arghhhh! This isn't working! I can't do this!"

"You have two options: try again or do the relaxation technique and then try again."

"But I can't do this!"

"Yes, you can. There are at least three more hours until sunset. Everyone that goes through this has done it the same day that slow shifting was achieved, including me. But don't think we did it in the first five minutes. Some were quicker than me, some were slower, but everyone did it."

"How long did it take you?"

"A bit more than half the time allotted for that day. I was kind of average I guess."

"There is nothing average about you!"

"Only here, where I'm bigger than you guys and a bear, but where I'm from I was pretty average."

"OK, I'll go again..."

A couple of attempts later, the shifting into the war-form is finally managed by Vi.

"Very good! Excellent! Now hold that... whatever you were doing or thinking, keep doing that."

"Urghuhuu!"

"Mind linking is better."

"Youhouuu! I did it! I did it! How do I look?"

"Beautiful and deadly. I wouldn't dare to face you in human form, and in my bear, I think I would be mystified what to do about you, once you master the movements. Speaking of which, walk around, jump, try getting used to it."

Two bounces later, she stumbles a bit and loses the form, reverting back to human.

"Damn it! I lost it!"

"You did, great don't worry about it! How do you feel? Any exertion? Exaggerated fatigue? Do you feel tired in any way?"

"No. I feel great. I might be a bit enthusiastic, but no trace of fatigue anywhere. With all the shifting I've been doing, I doubt I'll ever be tired from a simple form switch ever again."

"Hmm, how odd!"

"What's that?"

"Nothing. Good job there! You should go for some laps!"

"Really?" But I want to shift again!"

"Judging from the last few days I didn't think I'd ever hear you say that. You need to relax a bit before you try again. One hundred and twenty sprints between the canyon walls should do the trick. You'll have to touch them for the sprint to count."

"You can't be serious!"

"You think two hundred sprints would sound better instead? Sure then! You can start doing them if you really don't want to ask for more."

"Yes, Sensei!"

By the end of the day, she succeeds two more war-form shifts between other failed attempts, each time managing to hold it for a little longer.

As they meet up the next morning, Al'Aeen notices the smile on her face.

"What's gotten you so happy this early in the morning?"

"I can do something nobody else can! Not even my all-knowing mate!"

"Is he making things hard for you?"

"He doesn't understand why I have to spend so much time with you. Did you know he went to the Alpha on the second day and demanded to know what was going on?"

"And?"

"She told him I was training and he had the audacity to tell her he could do a much better job in training me than you ever could. The nerves on him!"

"Well, he is right you know. For..."

"What do you mean he's right? I don't even think he knows what a war-form is!"