Part 47

"What the flying shit fcuk!" Jena exclaims.

"They are not here either!" Sorin says, sharing his own frustration.

"The orbiting patrol on this side of the convoy swear they both saw and smelled them coming."

"Yeah, then where are they? And since when are they so tactical? Attacking, retreating, maneuvering? I thought all warhogs were dumb beasts searching for the fastest way to enjoy an 'honorable' death!"

"Obviously something changed."

"Really?"

"Your sarcasm isn't helping."

"I think they have new leadership. Maybe not a wolf?"

"Could be. Or they have very specific orders."

"Like what?"

"I... don't really know. Distract us so the bigger group can catch up?"

"Hmm. Let's ask Aaron. Aaron, since you were in charge of the convoy movements, how much time did we lose by changing direction to avoid the warhogs?"

"If you mean in relation to the large group following us, another half day."

"So now we only have..."

"2 days of lead on them."

"Moons damn it! You know what? We should just dump all of these useless, slow and annoying refugees!"

"Sounds like you are planning to run away with your warriors, Alpha Sorin. And here I thought you were itching for a fight with some warhogs."

"Keep poking me like that and maybe you'll take their place!"

"Or since you just got back to the convoy, and there are non-combatants around you as well, you could both display some of your leadership skills and set a good cooperation example for everyone," Conall scolds them both as he comes over.

"They can all suck it. Should be grateful we gave them shelter at all."

"Sorin, perhaps a sparring session would help your nerves relax."

"Yeah. And a nice piece of ass. Or maybe both. Don't look me up unless it's urgent," Sorin says, heading away and almost stomping his feet.

***

"I don't get it. I was just trying to help."

"How come you always end up talking to me about your problems, Al?"

"I guess I feel comfortable talking to you, like..."

"We're family," Vi concludes.

"Yeah."

"OK. So tell me what happened. And how come you didn't join us for the defense, or was it a counter-attack on the warhogs? Not that it matters that much, they ran away."

"Maybe they stood downwind of your breath?"

"How classy! Al'Aeen, we are like family, not male drinking buddies."

"My bad. So I was just heading over to join everyone, when that jerk, Sorin,"

"You mean Alpha Sorin. You need to watch how you talk about the leaders, Al. Were are highly respectful of rank and the opposite – disrespect could lead to a duel."

"I've fought your mate and multiple warhogs. Duels are not to the death. Forgive me for not being scared. Plus respect should be earned, not implicit."

"Point taken, but those ranks usually mean those wolves deserve theirs."

"Guess I'm a freak in that regards too. I refuse to give it implicitly. So Sorin starts commenting about how I would be a hindrance in your chase and he didn't want... wait, why am I telling you this? You were there."

"For context and I want to know how you perceived it. And I wasn't there for your talk with Jena after that."

"Well, she just agreed with everything Sorin said and continued on with how I would put people in danger because I wasn't fully recovered, while your mate just said I'm fine by the way, just need some more rest, and I would endanger others and..."

"That's true, but you are an idiot, as usual."

"Again!? What did I do this time?"

"Failed to notice she was worried about you, and so she found undisputable reasons to keep you back till her Master at Arms would say you were ready to fight."

"Why does everyone keep slapping me with the mate thing every chance they get? So she was worried about me, big deal!"

"Was just going to say you are beginning to understand, but never mind now. By the way, Jena got hurt on the way back, when we passed through the convoy, trying to intercept the enemy at the second location."

"How? What happened? Is she alright? What did the healer say? Where is she?"

Vi smirks knowingly.

"She jumped over a child to avoid hitting him and tipped over a pot of green dye from the leather worker's cart. The fur on her right paw has been hurt into greenness."

A shocked, confused expression has Al'Aeen rooted on the spot for several moments.

"Huh? Are you mocking me?"

A beaming smile confirms his suspicions.

"I need to go for a run. You are a nasty one, by the way. Don't follow me."

He turns, starting a jog that soon turns into an all-out, continuous sprint around the convoy.