Part 75

***

"This isn't interesting anymore. It stopped being interesting yesterday morning! What is the point of this shifting back and forth? I just can't see it, Sensei!"

"I take it you don't like it anymore?"

"I never did!"

"But you would keep doing it if I said so."

"Yes..."

"You would, however, like to do something different. Am I right?"

"Yes! More than anything!"

"OK then."

"OK? Really?"

"Yes. I now want you to go through the relaxation exercise in your mind only and..."

"And, and?" Vi asks impatiently.

"And shift."

"You are such an ass!"

"Be respectful please!"

"Respectfully, you are such an ass, Sensei!"

"Much better!"

She sticks her tongue out at him.

"But seriously, this is different, because I want you to shift slowly. Start it but go through it as slow as you can," he continues.

Finger snap – wolf Vi.

"Really? That took you like two seconds. Three at most. Might actually be the fastest one you've done."

Finger snap – human Vi.

"How is it my fault you've been training me to do it faster for the last three days, and now, you suddenly want me to do the opposite?! I'm even afraid of someone snapping their fingers by accident and me immediately shifting!"

"Fine. Verbal commands then. Shift! Slowly!"

Wolf Vi.

"Better. Not by much but it's an improvement. Shift slowly!"

***

"Wake up, Vi!"

"What, already?"

"Yes. It's time to get up."

"More slow shifting? The massage was good though. You should try it on Jena sometimes but with the clothing optional," Vi says with a sleepy smirk.

"How about you mind your own business?"

"Someone has to take care of my big brother! You're are too much of an idiot when it comes to her, so you definitely need the help."

"How charming you are!"

"Conall thinks so too!"

"You learned to be this cheeky from him?"

"He says I learned it from you! He says it's the same mannerism of talking you have when you're mocking someone in a friendly manner."

"OK, focus! Are you ready to see what you've been training for?"

"What? There is a third way to shift? Let me guess, half slow and half fast? Or the other way around?"

"I actually think you can already do that. If you can, there is no need for it. Show me?"

"Are you serious?"

"You asked for it! Show me!"

Wolf Vi.

"Good. Now back but quick at first and finish slowly."

Human Vi.

"Very nice! You are a shifting prodigy!"

"Don't mock me!"

"You are the one who suggested these new way of shifting."

"You seriously weren't thinking of doing just that?"

"Like I said, I knew you could do it."

"So what were you going to show me?"

"You want to move forward?"

"Yes, Sensei! Please!"

"Stand back a bit, and please don't run away!"

"I've seen warhog charges with me as the target. I'm not easily scared, Sensei."

Focusing on his own body, going through the process towards the bear form, but with the firm aim of the war-form in mind, Al'Aeen finishes his shift, presenting the nightmarish creature to his adopted little sister.

Vi barely holds her ground as the hulking beast looms closer.

"Is that really you, Sensei?"

The war-form nods, extending a clawed hand for Vi to examine the dagger-like nails.

"Get rock!" A low, guttural sound rumbles from the war-form.

"Wow, you can even talk?"

"If needed. But I find mind linking easier. The talking takes too much effort. The rock, pick it up and throw it at me."

"This one? What should I aim for?"

"My head."