6. Meet the Parents

This morning, Anna had to wake me at 5:30. "Are you kidding me." I groan. "Come on, we are running late, remember we have to get to Vancouver". So I roll off the bed and change into sports leggings, a baggy champion jumper, and trainers. I didn't expect there to be paparazzi around, even at 6 in the morning. And because less people were around, and Anna didn't have a bodyguard, they got really close, for me and Annas liking. "Anna! Over here! Anna, who are you with? Anna! Anna!" The yelling drowned out the speakers in the terminals and my own thinking. I had to grab on to Annas' arm to keep my balance until we got to a small gate, where I learned we would fly private. "Seriously!? That is so cool!" I say, excited. "Do you fly private a lot?" I ask Anna. "Only when I have to." Which isn't really an answer. One of the crew come out and we follow him down a tunnel onto the runway, where a smaller plane is waiting. "Do you mind taking a photo?" Anna asks the man. She hands him her phone and we pose sassily on the stairs. When we finally sit down, Anna airdrops them to me. "Ok, so you can post it, I might, but crop out the plane part. I think after Christmas we can announce, this." Anna whispers because right now, the only people who know about this is me, Anna, Stephanie, Aria and my mom. Throughout the flight, we were scrolling through Instagram. "Hey, I need your Instagram handle," Anna says, not looking up. It took me a second to get over that she was going to follow me. "Yep, it's everleighcjames." I tell her in an excited tone. I got the notification that annakendrick47 started following me, and then she spammed all my photos. "Hey, you wouldn't make a bad model you know" I look over and see her still looking at my posts. "All my friends tell me that too," I laugh. I decide I will post the photo, one where we are back to back, Charlies Angels style. I crop it so that it is just our torsos. And I caption it 'so this happened'. And Anna was the first to like it as well. "If people ask what you are doing, it sounds mean but ignore it." "Ok." Is all I say back. 

It was way colder than I thought it would be in Vancouver. Apparently, it was snowing yesterday! Luckily I had warm enough clothes. As soon as we landed, we had to go straight to the set where Noelle was filming. "Are you ok to sit around all day? And I'll come see you when I can." Anna says in the car. Oh yeah, I'm fine, just as long as I have my phone and food." I smile. "Definitely my kid."

 Anna introduces me to the director Marc Lawrence as her friend, and he doesn't as anything of it. "You are welcome to hang in the tent with me for today." Marc offers. "Thank you, Marc. She would love that." Anna speaks for me. She had to disappear then come back, in her really cute Noelle dress she wears. When we walk over to the stage, it is set up as if in the North Pole, and it really felt like Santas Workshop. Marc was nice enough to give me the password for the WiFi.  My phone blew up with notifications from Instagram, Snapchat, and texts. 'OMG how??' 'WTF Ev! How?' 'Chat! Now!' Stuff like that. I felt really bad, not replying to my friends, but I should listen to Anna. Eventually, we had to go down the road to an ice rink. "Can you skate?" Marc asks me, holding up a pair for me. "Yep," I say happily, and take them. In winter, my friends and I would go to the rink after school almost every day. I head out on the ice to the area where the camera is already set up. "Babe, I didn't know you could skate!" Anna swerves up behind me, ending perfectly. "I didn't know you could either!" I tell her. Anna is called over to learn where to go, and I find a seat behind the camera. I watch Anna skate around for a while but get bored so I go through my feed until we can finally get to the hotel. By that time, it is already 9 pm, so Anna takes me to ihop for dinner. "Just thinking about Christmas, you don't do all that Santa shit, do you?" She asks. "Fuck no. I passed that ages ago." I roll my eyes. "Ok good. But seriously, is there stuff you want?" She asks. "It feels really weird, like, Anna Kendrick asking me what I want for Christmas. Like, we met 3 days ago!" I exclaim. "Oh come on, its just lil old me." Anna hunches her back. "Ok, ok then. Um, I honestly have no idea what I want." Anna looks at me blankly when I say that. "Teenagers." She sighs and digs into her pancake stack. 

The past few days in Canada have been cold, and repetitive. Waking up, heading to Annas' set, watching her get ready, shoot scenes, lunch, more filming, dinner, home again. I am honestly happy to be leaving, it is the 23nd so Christmas is soon and we are heading to Maine. Also at this point, I feel as if I really know Anna well, like she is truly my mom. "Almost ready to go? I was thinking we could stop by Starbucks on the way to the airport." Anna comes out of the bathroom with wet hair and wrapped in a towel. Ok yep, we defiantly are closer. "The question is, are you ready?" I ask her, acknowledging her towel. She rolls her glares at me, but can't help laughing when I raise an eyebrow. 

With Starbucks in hand, we quickly make our way through the airport. A woman who worked at the airport met us at the gate where she lead us through some hallways and doors where we ended up getting on last and were seated at the back of the plane. It was a very relaxing ride, we both put on our earphones and then I fall asleep. "Babe. Wake up. We landed." Anna shakes me gently. I look out the window and see snow topping mountains in the distance, but the sun shining. "I've got a car waiting for us." She says as I stretch my arms. "How long did I sleep for?" I yawn. "Only 45 minutes." Anna smiles and kisses me on the head, which was something she had started doing as well. The same woman escorts us through the airport to the bag carousel thingy. We are standing there for ages, waiting when we finally spot them. The car Anna had ordered was right outside and the ride to her mom and dads was only five minutes. "Is this your childhood home?" I ask her. "Yep. But it changed a lot." Anna tells me, as we get our suitcases out of the back. She pays the driver and just before she knocks on the door, it is opened by who I assume is her mom. Her face lights up when she sees us. "Oh, darling!" She throws her hands up and goes to hug Anna, but actually hugs me. "Oh ok. Mom. Yeah Hi to you too." Anna says, deadpan. Then she goes to hug her daughter. "Honey, she looks just like you." Annas mom whispers and wipes away a tear. "So, um. This is Everleigh." Anna says as if she doesn't know. "Oh my dear, you are so gorgeous." And she hugs me again, I look at Anna, with the 'this is getting weird now' face. "Ok, Mom. Mom! Can we get through the door?" She says to get her off of me. We follow her inside where a fire is going and who I guess is Anna's dad is watching ice hockey. "Look, love, Annas home with Everleigh. He stands up and I shake his hand. And hugs Anna. "Now look Anna, I just realized that you two will need to share the double bed. Is that ok?" Annas mom asks, with a concerned face. "We'll be fine, it's only a few nights." Anna reassures her.