10. A big similarity

Once I saw Lachie close the door behind him from our house, I turned to Anna. "Did you know Joanne is sick?" I sit on a stool. "She said her nose had been running all week yester..." Anna starts. "No, like cancer. Lachie said it had come back... For the third time. "Oh my God." She gasps. "Joanne didn't say anything." Anna has a look of disbelief on her face. "Lachie cried and cried today. It was bad. I said I am there for Lilia and him whenever." "Thank you, Ev, that is sweet." Anna hugs me, still surprised. "Can I ask, how you got pregnant with me? And, well... who is my dad?" I ask her. Annas' face goes blank. "When Lachie was telling me about his, I realized I never asked you about mine." "Oh, Babe, every time I think about it I get emotional." She sniffs. "Another time. Promise" She strokes my hair. "Ok."

--NEXT DAY--

So, I'm back at Lilia and Lachies house the third day in a row, yesterday I went over after the pier and the three of us watched Lilias choice of movie, The Fault in Our Stars. "You may as well move in!" Lilia exclaimed when she opened the door for me today. She doesn't know I know about there mom yet. "So, Lachie has gone to the Y, and won't be back for awhile, but that's ok, we can do something else." She says enthusiastically, I wonder if this is her trying to push through. I follow her upstairs to what must be her room. "Can I braid your hair?" She asks me. "Sure!" She sits on her bed and I sit on the floor in front of her. "So, how was the pier yesterday? Sorry I couldn't come." She starts to pull strands of hair. "It was fine, we just talked about ... ow... stuff." I say vaguely. "What stuff?" Lilia needs to know. "Well, we went back and forth about stuff we like, Game of Thrones..." "Oh, my God Game of Thrones is everything!"  Lilia gets a bit too enthusiastic and pulls my hair tight. "And, what we like and stuff, he talked about your dad, and me about mine." I slow down. "Lils, and your mom. I am so sorry. I had no idea." I feel her let go of my hair. I turn around so I face her. "I am here you and Lachie." I take hold of her hands. "I'm staying strong." She croaks, I know she barely is though. She sniffles and perks up, like what I just said never happened. "I was going to make brownies. You should help." She insists and walks out. This can't be ok for her to do. She needs to talk. I follow her downstairs where she has already gotten out some ingredients and turned on the oven. "Heres the recipe. You start mixing, I just have to get something." She hurries through her words and hands me a book. I start to beat the eggs and sugar for a while, but my gut tells me to go check on Lilia. I put down the spoon and quietly walk back up the stairs to her room. She is just at the end of the bed crying. I stand in the doorway until I can't take it anymore, I run over to her and hug her. She sinks onto the floor with me. We sit there for a while until it is dead quiet. "Hey, the oven is still on and there are brownies to make." I stand up enthusiastically. I pull her up from the ground and we go downstairs together. I turn up the music and eventually Lilia is herself, bubbly and bright. Suddenly, I feel batter flung onto my cheek. I slowly turn to Lilia, who was already hiding behind a pan. "Lilia!" I squeal, wipe the batter off my face and go over the top of the pan so batter is smeared on her forehead. "Everleigh!" She squeals in the same tone. She is about to get more batter from the bowl when Lachie walks in. "Hey, guys." He puts down his gym bag. "Hey! We were just putting some brownies in the oven, you can lick the bowl" Lilia hands him the brownie bowl. Lachie was still sweaty and puffing. Also, I had never, well, because it's winter seen him in a tank top. He is pretty muscley. "Ev, you got some shit on your top." He points out. I look down and see on my white top "Brownie batter." I groan. I go over to the sink to get it off; that only made it worse and 3 times bigger. "I'll get  you a shirt." Lilia runs upstairs and is back with a tank top. "I was thinking we could play life" Lachie suggests. When he had showered and the brownies were fresh from the oven we went downstairs and sat around the coffee table. "I am always pink," Lilia says, claiming the pink car. "I'm blue!" I call. "Ok, I will be, green." Lachie takes the car and hands us our pink players. I do my usual and go to college. The other two go straight to a career. Lachie was the first to get married, then me, then Lilia. But she was the first to have kids, with me right behind. "You know, I want a big family in real life." She states. "How many kids?" I ask. "At least 5." She says. "Why? So much work!" Lachie defends. "I actually, only want one, maybe two, but one girl. So I can spoil her rotten. Maybe when she is older have another girl." I tell her. "You're like Lachie. He wants a girl." I look at him, surprised. "Really? You want a girl?" I question. "For the same reasons as you. Spoil her." He smiles. "Well then, maybe you two should actually get married and have a perfect little daughter." Lilia mocks as she spins the wheel. Lachie and I just look at each other. "Lils, Lachie! We are home!" Joanne calls, closing the front door behind her. "Hi. Everleigh is here too!" Lilia screams back. No reply. "Oooh, twins!" Lilia squeals excitedly. "Oh yeah, I was going to ask, on New Year's Eve, Anna is going to a party, can you guys come hang with me?" I ask hopefully. "I think so, Mom was making us go to some kids party with Gemma and Teddy, but we can get out of it for you." Lachie smiles right at me. "Great." I say quietly, in my own world. "Oh wait! I was bringing Caroline with me..." Lils hesitates. "She can come. Anna already said I can have company, as long as they are gone by 12 am." I offer and am excited to meet someone else. My phone buzzes on the table. It's from Anna. 'babe, can you get home now, thought we were watching GoT...' I forgot, Anna said we could and it is 9:45 anyways. "I, I should get going." I stand up. "Lilia can you pretty please pack it up. I'll walk her home." Lachie tells her. "I am going to get to do that sometime. Right?" She complains. "Next time. Oh, I'll give you back the shirt later." I reassure her, so she happily starts to put away the game. When I open the front door, I instantly get goosebumps and shiver. "Do you want a hoodie?" Lachie kindly asks. "Ye, yes please." I shudder. He runs up the stairs 2 at a time and comes back with a light blue hoodie that says 'cool' in the Supreme style. "Thanks." I slip it over my head, it ends at the bottom of my thighs but it is warm. "So, what did you do while I was out?" He asks. "Well, Lilia started to braid my hair, and she asked about yesterday, she knows I know." I look at him, but he looks at me to keep going. "She was a mess. We went to bake the brownies, she said she was going to get something, and I found her in her room, bawling." I whisper, concerned. "She knows I am here for her." I smile lightly and step out the door.  Lachie closes the door. "Thank you. She knows who to call." He takes my hand to help me down the stairs again and holds it as we cross the road. "Hey, you know, I feel like I have known you for ages. So does Lilia. You are such an amazing person Everleigh Claire Noelle." His 5 ft 6 body hugs me and warming my 5 ft body. "Goodnight." I whisper as I open the door. "Night."