66. 21

"Happy Birthday baby." Lachie smiles down at me. "What a nice wake up call." I yawn. He called me a minute ago to wish me happy birthday, since he couldn't be in LA. I had him on face time and was holding my phone above my face in bed still. "What are your plans?" He asks. "Umm, Anna has some party going on tonight. But otherwise not much." I tell him. "Sounds like a good day then." "Yep." I smile, but drop the phone on my face. "Ow shit!" I yell when it lands right on my nose. "Ooh, you good?" Lachie checks. "Yeah I'm fine." I laugh at myself. "I expect lots of pictures from tonight please." Lachie smiles. "Oh, don't even doubt it." I rub my nose. "Good. Look, I have training in an hour so I better get going." He pouts. "Ok. Talk soon?" I ask, already knowing the answer. "Yep. Oh! And the scout is just 'finalizing' me, I guess, for the Rams." He says excitedly. "That is awesome! I'm so proud of you." I tell him. "Proud of you too." He says. "Why? What did I do?" I laugh. "Just being you, making it to 21, and just being the greatest actress/girlfriend ever." He lists. "That does sound pretty impressive." I nod sarcastically. "Yeah she is incredible." He whispers. "Love you." I whisper back. "Love you. Talk later." Lachie hangs up. I smiled for a long time after he ended the call. First, I just held my phone to my chest and then eventually rolled out of bed. A shower seemed good to me this morning, so I turned it on to the perfect temperature and chose a playlist. I can connect music to the Bluetooth speakers in my bathroom, and on my phone, Annas sound system came up too. We lived only a mile away and I guess it could reach her house. For a laugh, I connected it to hers as well, and chose Nicki Minaj to blast. It was when the album was halfway through, and I was out of the shower with my hair wrapped up in a towel when Anna finally called. "I don't know what sorcery you have pulled this time, but I am pissed and sort of intrigued." Is her first line, and I can hear Anaconda blasting in the background. "Yeah. Happy Birthday daughter, I love you so much." I say, in a not impressed tone. "Sure sure. Whatever. I have had the lady across the road call, asking to turn it down a bit. I HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE HOW TO!" Anna raises her voice, joking. "I have all the power!" I evil laugh. "But babe, come on." She sighs. "Ok, ok." I roll my eyes and disconnect it from the speakers. "Thank you. But happy birthday baby." I can sense her smiling at the other end of the line. "I thought you'd never say that." I laugh. "I'm glad I have kept you alive the last seven years." Anna says. "That sounds insane, saying that. Like, I feel like I have known you for my whole life, and all about you, maybe too much. But it also feels like it was yesterday that I had come to the Pitch Perfect 3 premiere." I express to her. "I know right." Anna sighs. We both stayed quiet for a while after that. "Wait, this is weird, normally we talk over each other." She breaks the silence. "Yeah. I don't know. But I'll be round soon?" I check our plans. "Yep. Love you." Anna says. "Yep. Love you." I race her to hang up. It takes me a long time to get my hair looking normal after I washed it and dried it. My outfits for today and tonight were already picked out, I did that last night. Denim ripped skinny jeans, a white off the shoulder crop top and white converse. Since it was my birthday, I decided just today, I can have donuts for breakfast. Before I left, I had to put dishes away from my dinner last night. On the radio in the car, after Hailee's new song was played, they mentioned my birthday, and I got a bit too excited. At the drive thru at Dunkin Donuts, they had the same station playing when I got to the window. "Oh my God. Happy Birthday!" The lady working there said. "Thank you!" I smile and ordered a box of 12 mixed donuts to share at Annas and a latte for me. "Have a nice day." She smiles when she hands me the box, that was still warm with fresh donuts. "You too." I place the box in the passenger seat and drive off. "Hello?" I call when I open the door. "Do you have donuts?" Annas voice calls from somewhere. "Who the fuck do you think I am? Yes!" I roll my eyes. "I can smell them." Anna appears at the top of the stairs. "Your nose is amazing then." I say. "No, I saw you pull in." She smiles. "Right." I laugh and put the box down. "Happy Birthday." Anna kisses me on the cheek and hugs me. "If you are asking, I don't feel 21." I say, predicting that she would ask. "But you can drink now!" She squeals. "Why are you so excited though?" I ask. "I don't know." She shrugs. "But your first drink tonight is my favorite beer." Anna looks at me seriously. "Does it have to be?" I sigh. "You won't regret it. And that is all you get to hear about tonight." Anna open the box and chooses a Boston Kreme donut. I choose a chocolate glazed. "I talked to Lachie earlier." I say with my mouth full. "Oh yeah? What's he up to?" She asks, with cream on her face. "He has training, before the season starts and stuff, then he is done!" I say excitedly. "Good. And he will move in with you?" Anna asks. "That's the plan, yeah." I nod my head and Anna reaches for a second donut.