38. Setback

--ONE WEEK LATER--

Anna just picked me up from Lachie and Lilia's house. I had been over almost every day the past week, and things seem to be back to normal. Lilia, according to Lachie is better and him and I are on the path to dating again. "Where are we going?" I ask Anna, not sure. "Just to the store." She tells me. "Could you not have done that by yourself?" I buckle my seatbelt. "Well yeah, but the Bella's are coming over tomorrow for a reunion thing and I don't know what to get besides mac and cheese." She smiles.

I follow Anna around the store, she makes sure I agree with her to get it. "What flavor Doritos then?" Anna looks at the options. "Everyone knows you get cheese." I take them off the shelf for her and put them in the cart. "Ok, now we need sweet stuff." Anna looks at the aisle signs. We decided to get M&Ms, brownies and gummi bears. "Time for booze!" Anna cheers. "You know paparazzi is here somewhere." I say nervously. "Yeah, they are honestly so disrespectful, but it's sad that that is their job." Anna rolls her eyes and makes her way to the alcohol. She gets her usual beer that she likes and wants something else too. "Can you go look for, you know that vodka with the red label we had at home?" She puts the beer in the cart. I walk down the aisle a bit until I find the one she is looking for. "Great thanks. Now, raspberry or pineapple mixer?" She holds up two bottles. "Um, raspberry." I decide for her. "So where will I be when this whole thing happens?" We line up to pay. "Not sure. You can be home. Or stay over at Lachies." She suggests. "I'll see." I say. My phone rings all of a sudden, it was quite late for him to call, 8:45, but it was Lachie. "Hey. Speak of the devil." I joke. "Yeah, um you know how mom was in the hospital for tests and shit? The doctors called us and said today might be it." My heart stopped. "Oh my God. What can we do?" I get Annas attention. "What?" She mouths. "Um, I don't really know. Lilia is talking to them now." His voice shakes. "Joanne." I mouth to Anna. I can tell her heart stopped for a second too. "Are you going to drive over? We can meet you?" I offer. "Um yeah. Teddy is asleep though." He worries. "Well, why don't you take Gemma and Lilia down there and we will over to yours soon and bring Teddy later." I say, trying to relax. "Oh wait, he's downstairs now. We will see you there." Lachie breathes. "Ok. Love you all. Stay strong." I tell him and hang up. "What's happened?" Anna puts stuff on the bench to be scanned. "Joanne was in for tests this morning and now the doctors have said she is in her last day or so." I inform Anna, who puts her hands over her mouth. "So we will meet them there?" Anna recalls my conversation. "I guess so." I sigh, feeling tears fill up my eyes. "It's so awful." Anna hugs me. "We have to go home to put stuff away and then we will get there. Ok?" She asks. "Yep." I sniff. The cameras follow us to the car and we finally get home. I moved slowly inside, not really wanting to go to the hospital. "Come on babe, you still want to go?" Anna tries to hurry me up. "I do. I just don't know what to expect." I sigh. "You'll be ok." She comforts me. Anna finally gets me into the car to go to the hospital. "Hi, where would we find Joanne Davies?" Anna asks. "Room 349." The lady at the counter smiles. "Thanks." Anna says and takes my hand to find them. We have to go up four levels in the elevator and go down a lot of hallways until we finally found the wing. "Lachie." I look into the room. "Ev!" He stands up and hugs me. "How are you." Anna hugs him too. "Been better." He runs a hand through his hair. "Ev. Thanks for coming." Lilia comes outside too. "So, whats the story?" Anna asks. "They say tomorrow is it" Lachie sighs. "I can't imagine what you are all going through. How are the others?" Anna asks. "Keeping mom company. We can all stay over for tonight and our aunt is making her way down then." Lilia informs us. "Can we go in?" Anna asks. Lilia takes her in so it is Lachie and me. We start to walk down the hall way a bit. "I don't know how to address this, it must be gut wrenching." I hug him. "It really is." He sinks to the floor to cry. I sit down next to him and let him cry. He is leaning against the wall and I am sitting in front of him with my hands on his knees. After a while he looks up at me. "Thank you for all your help." He tries to smile but can't. "You know I do it because I love you." I move my hands up a bit. "I love you too." He bites his lip. We stay in our position for a while until we both can't resist. I sit up on my knees and our lips are together in sync with each other for a long time. We stop, but our noses touch and we just smile. "I missed you." He slides his arm around my waist. "Me too." I take his jaw in my hands and kiss him again. "Just keep swimming." I joke, referencing Dory, from Finding Nemo, the movie we watched earlier in the week. He laughs at it. "We should head back." He stands up and pulls me up after him. Hand in hand we walk back to Joanne's room. "Hi Ev." Joanne smiles when she sees me. "Good to see you." I hug her from her bed. "It's nice that you get to have them all stay with you tonight." I smile. "Just as long as they don't fight, we'll be fine." Joanne jokes. "Well, its late so you better get going." Lachie says. Anna and I say goodbye to everyone and Lachie walks us out. "Just call if you need anything." Anna hugs him. "Thank you." He says. He then hugs me for a long time. "See you later." I kiss him again. "Bye." He holds my hand as far as he can as I walk away.

I can't sleep at all tonight. At one minute I'm too hot, then too cold then my hair is too loose then to tight. Everything is out of place. I try to read for a while, scroll through my feed, splash my face with water. Nothing is helping. I get out of bed and walk around the house for a while. I get some ice water from the kitchen. When I go back upstairs, I notice Annas light is on too so I go in. "Hey, babe. Can't sleep." She notices me. "Nope. Not at all." I sit on the edge of her bed. "Come here." She moves over so I can lie next to her. "Do you want to watch some Game of Thrones?" She suggests. "Then I definitely won't be able to sleep. How about just Keeping Up?" I ask. "Sounds good to me." She finds her remote buried in the blankets somewhere. On our 4th episode, I finally fell asleep at 4 am with my head on Annas' shoulder