2;18

5 MONTHS LATER

"You look funny!" Brooklynn squeals when I come into her room. "Do I?" I ask her. "Your hair is pwoofy." She laughs. "Mads is here for you." I slowly take the baby doll out of her arms. "Ahhh! nooo." She pouts, and her eyes start to well up. "Use your words." I crouch down to her level. Brooklynn was only just 2, and still learning to talk properly which is what we are trying to teach her because whining won't cut it. "Bath." She points to the baby bath. "Were you going to give her a bath now?" I stoke her hair, and she nods subtlety as if she were in trouble. "How about you take her to Maddie's, and you can have a bath together?" I suggest, which makes her get up right away.
"Thanks babe for this." I hand Maddie Brooklynns little backpack for the night. It is Annas 40th birthday, so Lachie and I are hosting an 80s themed party – adults only. That's why Brooklynn said I looked funny, I was already dressed in a Fluro leotard and tights with teased hair. "Of course, anything. Have fun." Maddie takes Brooklynns hand. "Have fun too!" I call before they are in the car. It was 5:30 and people are coming in an hour. Right now, we are ahead, and everything is set up and the food is all ready too. "Looking good babe." Lachie comes downstairs. "Not too bad yourself." I wrap my arms over his shoulders. His hair was combed to the side, and he was wearing a matching navy-blue tracksuit and white tennis shoes. "This all looks great babe. I'm so proud of you!" He kisses me. I have spent the last maybe 2 hours decorating the house with bright colours and embarrassing photos of Anna. Lachie put together an entire 80s playlist that runs for 12 hours straight. "I can tell you, Anna is going to be wasted by the end of the night." I tell him. "Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if a few people stay over tonight." He laughs. As well as food, we had so much alcohol for tonight it was crazy. I think there are 50 people coming, all of them Anna has known for ages, so I am expecting great stories and lots of drinking. Not too long later, Anna comes in the door with 2 other people, Brittany Snow and her best friend Alex, who I am also close friends with. "Hey Darl." He hugs me. "Hey Honey. You look great." I acknowledge his bright purple unitard and green sweatbands. "Just so you know, I'm planning to get so hammered tonight." He smiles. "Same sister." I whisper. "Happy birthday." I kiss Anna on the cheek and hug her. "Thank you. And for all of this." She brushes some hair off my face. Anna is wearing a cropped graphic shirt and ripped jeans with chunky shoes. "Of course! I couldn't miss this." I tell her. Alex found the sound system and got the playlist going as guests started to arrive. Around 45 minutes later, most of the guests were here, and everything was underway. The music was blasting, drinks were being poured as if we were never going to run out, the same for the chips. Chrissie Fit is dancing on the kitchen island and Alex is trying to get Anna to have a drink. "Anna, come on. I've got it." I tell her, pouring her a drink. Not everyone is here yet, and she just wants to be polite and wait for them before she gets wasted, which is very unlike her. She opens her mouth to protest, but I push a martini into her hand. "Yay! Thank god." Alex toasts. Only a few more people arrived after that, including Anna Camp and Skylar Austin. "This looks like a college frat party I never got to go to." I say to Lachie, overlooking everyone. There was a couple I couldn't recognize getting it on outside on the patio, Alex joined Chrissie on the island and Anna was getting through a bottle of tequila with Rebel Wilson. It was just 11:30 and I had a couple of drinks myself. Lachie was the only one not drinking due to football. "You know, all this alcohol is getting me a bit turned on." I slur, a bit drunk to Lachie. "Yeah I think the fumes are getting to me." He slides his hands down my back. "We have like, 20 minutes." I bite my lower lip, he doesn't say anything and pulls me into the dining room and slides the doors shut. We get to the point where his shirt is off, and my Fluro leotard was off when there is a crash in the kitchen. "Fuck." I sigh, just praying it's not one of our crystal plates. We get changed quickly and find out it was just a platter of sushi. "Maybe we should just get onto the cake...?" Lachie says. "Good idea." I nod and open the pantry. This morning the cake was dropped off, it was three tiers, chocolate cake. There was a '40' candle on top and sparklers to light. Some people cheered when I wheeled it out. "Wait, where is Anna?" I look around, and can't find her. Suddenly, Beyoncé comes on, and I can just hear Anna lose her shit. "Found her." Lachie points her out, in the centre of the crowd. Brittany ends up stopping the music when she sees the cake. People gathered around and sang while Anna very drunkenly conducted the crowd. After that, there were some very funny and drunk speeches made by Alex, Chrissie and Ruby Rose.
At maybe 4am, everyone had gone home except for Anna. "Thanks babe for... for this thing." She gestures to the house, that was completely trashed. "The party?" I ask. "Yeah! That." She yawns. "You are welcome. How do you feel?" I laugh, knowing she is going to be very hungover. "I feel great! I mean, considering everything I drank." She smiles, very bubbly. "Don't you think you should head to bed? You can sleep in the guest." I tell her. "No, my sweatpants are at home. I just need my keys..." Anna says. "No way in hell are you driving babe. Bed." I point her upstairs. "Ev, can you bring me some water?" Anna asks when she is halfway up the stairs. "Sure. And maybe some Panadol?" She rubs her head. "On it." I nod. When I got back upstairs, Anna was asleep... in my bed. "Really?" I sigh.