2;14

7 MONTHS LATER

I ran over to the door with Brooklynn in my arms, who was whining for gummy bears, her favorite food. "Um, cake delivery for Everleigh?" The guy at the door says blankly. "Yep, just give me one second." I tell him and go set Brooklynn down in front of the TV. Today was May 10th, Brooklynns first birthday. Lachie was out with Anna getting last minute things for the small pool party we are hosting. "Hi, so I paid online already." I check with the guy. "Yep you did. Enjoy." He hands me the white box, that smelled like heaven. I put it down on the kitchen island and opened the box to a two-tiered chocolate cake, with pink and gold decoration. "Mommy!" Brooklynn screeches from the living room. "Yes baby?" I ask calmly. Then she tries to mumble back something to me, but obviously I don't understand. It turns out the show she was watching had ended. "Do you want to come see the cake?" I ask her, she doesn't understand either, but I pick her up anyways and sit her on the counter. Her eyes go wide when she sees it and tries to put her hands in it. "Ah! That's for later bubba." I put her back onto the ground. She stands holding the cabinets and looks stable. I take a few steps back to see if she will come to me. "Come here Brooklynn!" I call her. A big smile comes onto her face as she pushes off against the cabinets and takes I swear, 7 steps to me, which are her first proper ones. "Good girl! Yay!" I swoop her up, praising her. She giggles as I swing her around. "Daddy will be so proud!" I say, just as he and Anna come through the door. "Proud of what?" He puts the bags down. "Your daughter just took 7 steps. I swear to God." I smile. "No way! Did you get it on camera?" He asks, taking her from me. "No, it was in the moment. Maybe the security camera did." I say, remembering the cameras we have throughout the house. "People will be here soon, so what's the plan?" Anna comes in, carrying even more bags. "Since when are you the extra organized one?" I raise an eyebrow to her. "Well, I'm looking at the time and you have 45 minutes." She tells me. "Oh shit." I get going. I wash the dishes that were on the island and then take Brooklynn upstairs with me to get ready. I put her in front of the TV in my bedroom while I shower. She is in the exact same spot when I come out too, legs wide open, leaning against the pillows with her thumb in her mouth. I had gotten changed into a red halter bikini top with high waited denim shorts and my hair was in a top knot. "Let's get you changed, shall we." I talk to Brooklynn, slipping a light white shirt on. I go to pick her up from the bed, but she starts to whine and complain because she is watching a show. "Come on bubs. We are gonna go swimming." But that doesn't help, she shakes her legs as I take her out of the room and by the time we get to her room, she is wailing. "You can watch it later baby." I talk to her as I strip her sleeper off. She fusses for a while longer but eventually calms down when she is dressed. She has a coral colored baby bikini on under a super cute floral romper, and her small amount of light brown hair was tied into two pigtails. "Ok, go find dadda." I put her down on the ground she crawls down the stairs, backwards, the way I taught her to. "Awww look at you!!" Anna shrieks when she comes into the kitchen. "I know, I look amazing!" I sarcastically twirl. "Not you." Anna glares at me before picking Brooklynn up to kiss her. All of downstairs was decorated now, with gold, pink and grey decorations. "It looks so nice down here." I look around at all the balloons and streamers. There was a knock at the door a few minutes later. "Helloo?" Someone calls. It was Maddie. "Hey babe." I hug her before Brooklynn comes crawling over. "No way, this is too cute." Maddie drops her bags to pick her up. "You are one!" She cuddles her for a long time. They have a really tight relationship, Maddie is basically a second mother to Brooklynn. In the next 20 minutes, our friends start to show up. Hailee and Brittany came, as well as some of Lachies friends with babies and kids to. There was music playing now, and everyone was around the pool. Brooklynn was in the middle of it all in the pool with Lachie, having a literal blast. This child loves to be the centre of attention, and I can guarantee she will for the rest of her life. Quickly, I go onto Instagram and see posts I was tagged in, saying happy birthday to Brooklynn. I decide that maybe I should post one too. I choose a photo that Lachie took a while ago, I was holding Brooklynn's hand in the garden and she was standing still, wearing a super cute romper. Both of our backs were to the camera, so it was fine for me to post. I captioned it simply 'happy birthday baby girl.' I joined Anna in the kitchen who was, keeping the all the food filled up. There were maybe 30 people here, majority huge football players so we had so much food to keep everyone happy. "Have you ever tried chips and mayo?" Anna asks, looking like she is considering trying it. "That sounds like food the devil would eat." I gag at the thought. "It doesn't sound too bad." She begins to dip a chip into a shit load of mayo. "Oh yeah I forgot you basically are the devils spawn." I sigh and watch her. "Ew! Ew! Ew!" She gags as soon as she takes a bite and spits it into the sink. "Oh, didn't you like it?" I say sarcastically. "Not funny. Water." She sticks her lounge out. I was about to get her a glass, but then Kristen Bell and her kids walked in. "Hello! Good to see you." I leave Anna to suffer and walk around to say hi. Her Daughters, Lincoln and Delta absolutely adore Brooklynn, so they have come for tonight as well. "What's going on with Anna?" Kristen laughs, looking over at her. "She dipped a chip in mayo." I explain. "Everyone is down by the pool do you guys want to go for a swim?" I ask the two girls who eagerly say yes. "Dax is coming over soon too, with a gift." Kristen tells me. "Oh, you didn't have to do that!" I say gratefully, and glancing over at the dining table, already packed with gifts. "Of course, we did." She smiles and goes to join everyone outside.

Everyone was all gathered inside now, and Brooklynn was sitting on the kitchen counter with everyone looking at her so of course, she was beaming. The cake was right next to her because we were about to sing happy birthday. Lachie lit the candles and Anna started everyone up. Throughout the entire song, she was giggling and clapping at all the people looking at her. "Alright, can you blow?" I ask her at the end. She looks wide eyed at me, then to the cake and blows out the candle in one go.