Chapter 73

I was awoken from my slumber by the night owl who was perched outside my bedroom window on a tree branch. Sleep was leaving my body, as I got up and slammed the window shut in frustration. "Stupid owl hooting like I don't need sleep."

Immediately afterwards my attention was drawn to the tree below as I noticed a shadow. It was 3 o'clock in the morning. Who in their right mind was still up at 3 a.m. on a Sunday? The silhouette moved, and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

I tried the house phone, but it was disconnected. Unplugging my phone from the charger I called Officer Phueng, who was assigned as my bodyguard until the trial ended. Joon-ho and Dongho quietly came into my room from the conjoined door sensing the threat as well. With guns in all of our hands, we waited for impact.

We literally stood there for a few minutes, but nothing happened. In the silence of the night, I realized that the owl had stopped talking."Get down!" I yelled just as bullets crashed through my bedroom window, shattering glass and piercing through the walls. Memories of being caught in the middle of a gang war tried to pull me under, but I had to remain focused.

The moment the bullets stopped we all looked each other and breathed a sigh of relief. We made it... we survived. We crawled our way into the conjoined room to the right and re-loaded our weapons. I heard someone enter into my room and pull the safety off their gun.

Dongho quietly got my attention and led me to the secret door hidden under the bed. He was the first to go in, then he helped me down as Joon-ho protected our back. After the door was closed and locked, we moved forward through the dark. Taking out our cell phones, we used the flashlights as our guides.

A lot of footsteps could be heard above us, but we didn't stop for anything. A huge black spider dropped on my shoulder, and I spazzed out. I couldn't help it; insects give me the creeps. Both Dongho and Joon-ho held in their laughs, as I shot them both death glares.

The further on ahead we walked I was reminded of my family. Anatoly was supposed to be with us, but Mocha darn near begged to stay with him while Joon Young was working. He could never say "no" to his only niece. I had no objections to Mocha staying with Anatoly, and Joon Young trusted him completely.

Joon Young, however, was mad at me once again. According to him, I put both of our kids in danger trying to be the hero, but it was nothing like that. He says I shouldn't have gone to Thailand without him. Like his presence would've made a difference...

He would've been knocked out with the other guys, and our kids still would've been taken. I called to talk to him the previous day, and he ended the call quickly, claiming he had to work, but I heard video games playing in the background.

I swear sometimes he irks my nerves. My heart palpitated, and I stopped to catch the breath that was knocked out of my lungs. Dongho and Joon-ho were by my side instantly. I leaned on them for support, as I started feeling lightheaded. Talking to Mocha always centered me.Dialing my husband's cell, I prayed he would answer. He picked up in a foul mood yet again. "Monique, you do realize what time it is, right?"

Ugh! He knows I hate it when he scolds me like I'm a little kid. "I know it's 5 in the morning, and I apologize for calling so early, but I really need to talk to Mocha."

"She's sleeping, and I'm not waking her up. Call again in 3 hours, okay? I'm going back to sleep." He muttered some curse words under his breath that made me want to come through the phone and punch him.

"Joon Young, if you hang up on me again I swear I'm going to hurt you! You have been keeping me from talking to my daughter for a week straight! Enough is enough!" I growled out, tired of his crap and the mess I was in. I just wanted it to be over and done with.