Roses are red.. violets are blue.. you asked me to marry you so I say I do

(Alex's POV)

Piper left to go and meet Polly. It was now 7pm and was getting dark. She'd probably be home again by 8. I knew Piper was the one from the moment I met her and got to know her. In our previous relationship and during our time together in prison I was planning to propose to her because she was the love of my life but she got there first. I had my proposal to her already planned out.
I was going to send her on an errand so I could get everything ready. Yes, we were already engaged but we hadn't given each other our rings yet so I was taking advantage of that fact.
I shot out a text to Piper making it sound like I was hungry. Man, I really wanted to continue what we started earlier, just in a more romantic way.

"Hey babe, while you're out, we're out of whipped cream, could you bring some home?- Al xxx"

She replied quickly, "Sure babe no problem.- P xxx"

I laughed to myself. Little did she know we didn't need whipped cream I just wanted it so I could lick it off her later.

Now that I had more time, I made my way around the whole apartment and lit candles everywhere. Even around the marble outlined bath in our ensuite. While we were out earlier I had bought rose petals while Piper went to Gregg's to buy a bagel. I opened our door, we had the penthouse so we had the floor to ourselves. I went to the elevator and started there. I scattered the rose petals in a trail to the door. From the door I lead them all the way to the bedroom. While in the bedroom I laid the remaining petals on our bed in the shape of a heart where I placed her ring, right in the centre of the heart where her name was forever etched onto mine.

Once this was done I went to the kitchen. I pulled out the box of strawberries from the refrigerator and chocolate from the cupboard, I turned the oven on and put a pan on the stove with boiling water in it. I brought out a bowl and melted down the chocolate, I dipped the strawberries in the chocolate and sprinkled a light coating of sugar over them. Placing them on a tray I put them back in the refrigerator to cool and set. While I was here I brought out the champagne I had also bought, brought down 2 champagne glasses from the cupboard and filled them. I put these in the refrigerator also waiting for Piper to come home.

It was 7:45pm so I changed into my black sexy lingerie and put a silk gown over myself, whilst I wanted to end the night with Piper under me in our bed I also wanted this to be perfect. Once I was changed I put "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green on from my player still on my nightstand just in time for Piper. It was now 7:54pm. I quickly ran to the kitchen grabbed the strawberries and champagne and put them on the table at the window of our bedroom. Champagne glasses side by side with the bowl of chocolate covered strawberries in front. (Piper and I sometimes liked having romantic dinners or just breakfast at this table which also had 2 comfy leather chairs because we just couldn't get enough of this view). I climbed onto the bed and lay seductively beside the rose petal heart and the ring I had chosen for her. The ambiance was perfect. The Empire State Building was lit up red white and blue since it was the 4th of July and the lights of the city from our view blended so well with the candles I had lit.
I was ready. I heard her turn the keys in the lock and the door open and I smiled.