I thought?

(Nicky's POV)

"Hey, so it's Larry right?" I ask the guy walking beside me who was once engaged to Chapman before Vause had sunk her hooks into her again. Damn, Chapman really was sought after huh?
"Yeah." He replied. We had got to the bar now and grabbed two stools. Boo was here already chatting up some Hawaiian chick. I left her to it, I wanted a conversation with Larry.
"One tequila please" I say to the bar tender.
"Make it two." Larry said. He looked so down and just like a complete buzzkill if I'm being honest.
"Why the long face?" I asked him, thinking I already knew the answer.
"Seeing those two together and so happy. It just reminded me of the life I could've had with Piper if Alex Vause hadn't shown up again and thrown Piper in prison, concocted a plan to get her back, succeed, be proposed to BY PIPER and now be about to marry her in freakin' HAWAII and practically force me to watch now that I'm with Piper's best friend who is also her maid of honour. Seeing them so happy together though, they really are in love. God what a shitty life I lead."

I couldn't help but notice how he spat out Vause's name with gritted teeth. He really hated her. Yeah Vause took Chapman from him but she had met her first and their love clearly never died. I knew from experience that in the brief time Lorna was married to that Vince dude, my love for her never died. I knew how Vause felt watching the love of her life about to marry someone else and a dude for that matter.

"Hey, look, I don't mean to take sides here but Vause is my friend and I don't really appreciate you talking about her like that. Besides. I thought you were in love with that Polly chick? You know Chapman was really angry when you two did that to her and I can't blame her. When she told Vause, she was pretty angry too, for Chapman."
"I am in love with her but seeing Piper with Alex made me realise I still have feelings for her and I know she loves Alex so here I am, wallowing in self pity and hatred." He replied.
"Can I give you an insight?" I ask him.
"Sure?" He says confused. Downing his tequila and ordering another one.
"Vause met Chapman first. When they met, she fell head over heels in love with Chapman. Chapman likewise with Vause. From what I can gather, neither of them said much about their relationship, it is their business I guess, they had a long relationship for a while while Vause was a drug dealer. Chapman left her because she thought Vause didn't love her anymore when she couldn't have been more wrong. When she left, Vause lost her entire world. She was angry and hurt and yeah, she wanted Chapman back so when she was caught and arrested she named her. Yeah, she did work on her in prison it was so obvious to see but it's only because she LOVES her. When you see love, you're a fool to let it go, she had already let Chapman go for around 10 years. A decade! I think it was 6. And the love never died. When she knew Chapman still loved her too she wasn't going to let it go this time. I'm sorry you feel like she stole Chapman from you but don't you see how you stole Chapman from her briefly? While we're on the topic, Chapman isn't a prize. She loves Vause too therefore Vause didn't steal her. That's just love for you. I know, it sucks."
"How do you know all this?" He asked me, interested now knowing the background of his ex fiancé's history, well, the history I knew of, with his arch enemy.
"I tried worming it out of both of them. That's all I've got so far. That and, you know that girl Lorna?"
"The one with the brown curly hair and lipstick?" He asked.
"That's the one." I say and continue. "Anyway, she's my fiancé. Like Vause, I met her first but she went through this phase where if she could get some schmuck to marry her, he would put money in her commissary. She then met this guy called Vince who met her through that idea of hers, they got married after a week of knowing each other. I love her so much and it killed me when they got married. It was killing Vause knowing she was slowly losing the love of her life to you. That's how much Vause loves her, she was willing to let her go if she loved you. She had to do something though, see if Chapman still loved her, at least try to win Chapman back otherwise she would've hated herself and asked "what ifs" for the rest of her life. So she tried and Chapman did still really love her ultimately ending things with you. You just weren't meant to be. Her and Vause are. Trust me, the amount of times they ended things, then all of a sudden they were having make-up sex in the library, they thought no one knew they were there or what they were doing, point is, no matter how many times you separate them, they always find their way back to each other. They're meant to be together. The same went for me for a while. When Lorna got married, I said to myself that we just weren't meant to be then the jerkoff cheated on my Lorna and knocked up not only her but her sister. My love for her never faltered so I asked her to marry me. Like Vause and Chapman. Their love never faltered. Yes, she was with you for a while but I hate to say this, you were a distraction while she waited for Vause. I'm sorry man. I really am. But you said it yourself. She's in love with Vause. Vause is in love with her and you and that Polly chick are in love so doesn't everyone win?" I say. Proud of my speech.
"I guess so. Yeah. I love Polly. Piper is in the past and is in love with Alex. They're about to be married! Why am I holding on to this? We just weren't meant to be! They love each other. Who am I to hold that against them? Thanks, Nicky is it?"
"Yeah"
"Thanks Nicky. Although it may take me a while to get used to Alex. What happened there still hurts you know? I'm still finding myself being jealous of her. Like what does she have that I don't?"
"Yeah that's fair."
At that, Vause and the others came up to the bar and ordered drinks. Larry stiffened. I could tell that I had helped him understand why Chapman cheated on him with Vause. They loved each other very much that was clear as day. I knew this because while he stiffened at Vause's presence he had understanding and even a hint of forgiveness in his eyes. He was letting Piper go to the one she was really meant to be with.