Treating my wife

(Alex's POV)

Piper fell asleep in my arms. I couldn't have been more happy. I thought I was happy on my wedding day to her and on our honeymoon here but Kubra had still been a threat. That threat was now gone and I was free to live my life, married to Piper and on our island together, alone and finally in peace.
After our last experience here, Piper ended up getting shot. I felt so guilty about that and wanted to do something to make up for it. I kissed her head and gently slid my arm from underneath her and got out of bed.
I remembered our first date and what I had done to get her to be my girlfriend, Piper had loved it and thought it was so romantic so I decided to do the same thing for her now with an even more romantic setting, a picnic on the beach of our own private island while the sun was setting. Perfect. This trip was meant to double up as two events after all, our second honeymoon that better not get so horribly interrupted this time and an anniversary present from me to Piper of the first time we had met. I thought the picnic idea would be cute and a nice touch since it was our first date and it kind of related.
I brought out the notepad that was in my drawer along with a pen and began to write her a note that would be only one of two clues as to where I would be when she woke up.

"Follow the candles.
xxxxxxx"

Was all I wrote in the note and put it on her nightstand, right at the bed so she would definitely see it. I kissed her on the head again and quietly hurried down to the kitchen to get the candles and lighter. I brought them back up and laid a trail of candles the whole way from our bedroom to where I would be waiting for her on the beach, lighting them as I go. When I was finished this, I went into the kitchen and grabbed wine from the wine cooler, two glasses, a blanket and prepared food. When the food was finished I took the blanket out first and laid it out on the spot of beach I had chosen, I kept it in place with a couple of rocks since there was a breeze coming from the ocean. Blanket secured, I went back into the house and brought out the wine and the two glasses, setting them on the blanket. That done, I went to get the food and came back out with it and put it on the blanket.
I also grabbed a few candles and laid them on the beach in the shape of a heart and lit them. Luckily the breeze didn't blow them out.
All I had to do now was wait for Piper. She was so angelic and peacefully beautiful when she slept but this was the one time where I would appreciate it if she woke up.
I lay on the beach looking out at the sun setting on the horizon of the ocean and the silhouettes of a couple of seagulls flying by along with the silhouettes of a few smaller neighbouring islands. I was sitting under a palm tree. It was such a beautiful setting. I was so glad I had found this island. What I was more glad about though, is that I had found someone I wanted to share it with, share my life with, someone who I loved unconditionally no matter what she did, who, after years of history with and admittedly a lot of fights with, who could be a real narcissistic horse's ass at times, loved me just the same and that she was currently sleeping in the house I had had built for us on this private island I had discovered and that I had married her. There had been people who had tried to take her away from me, I dealt with every one of them in my own way, there were times that I thought I had lost her but no matter what, she always came back to me and I always came back to her. What we had was love and we weren't letting that go. Ever.
I couldn't believe how lucky I had become. From being tortured my whole life by bullies, being integrated into a drug ring that resulted in me finding the love of my life, spending time in prison with said love of my life which only brought us closer, to marrying her and finally being free with her. I was in love, with this new lifestyle and with her.