The 4th of July party

(Alex's POV)

We arrived at the docks. Piper's parents were wealthy, not as wealthy as Piper and I were but still pretty loaded. They had hired a large yacht for the party tonight. Upon boarding we were handed a cocktail of our choice or a flute of champagne. Piper and I were celebrating so we chose champagne again.

"Oh you've got to be kidding me" I heard Piper say in a low unamused voice.
"What's up honey bun?" I ask her following her gaze. Larry and Polly were here. Now was my chance to, politely, at the request of Piper, confront them about what they did to her yet thanking them for pushing us together and maybe kind of shoving my ring in Larry's face.

Before I could, Polly had come running up to Piper annoyingly shouting in her ear with Larry in tow, Mojito in hand. It seemed to be about me so my interest was peaked.
"Pipe! Did you tell her?!" She asked her. Piper had made it clear only I was allowed to call her 'Pipes' which I thought was very cute and sexy. It was my thing and my thing only. For this reason Polly called Piper 'Pipe'.
"Um no Polly, Alex made tonight really special when I got home and I got distracted shall I say?" She went red.
"Tell me what Pipes?" I asked, wanting to know.
"Polly and I have officially set up PoPi. I bought the building today. You need a job since we're fresh out of prison. I know how much you miss the power of your old career sooo I told Polly that I'm making you an equal partner in the business and you'll be given your own sector of the business to run. You'll be head of shipments, have your own team and an office beside mine. What do you think?" She asked me nervously. I was over the moon. Just when I thought my love for her was at the brim it had now spilled over. I didn't think it was possible to love her any more than I already do. What she had done for me was truly amazing!
"What do I think?! Pipes! It means the world to me! Just when I thought it wasn't possible for me to love you any more than I already do you go and do this! Thank you so much babe! I love you!" I didn't care who was watching. I kissed her long and hard and heard Larry shuffle uncomfortably.
"What career?" He scoffed. I broke our kiss and turned on my heel. "What did you say?"
"Alex. He's not worth it." Piper tried but I wanted to continue.
"No Piper. He's not getting away with another jab at me. I let him when he visited me in prison to beg me to stay away from you but only because I was the other woman that time. This time this weasel fucked your best friend and had the balls to ask for your blessing."
I went up to his face. I was taller so I towered over him, especially with heels on. "You were the one that ended things with Piper and slept with her best friend you sick fuck so stop acting jealous when you have Polly. And as for my career, it may have been illegal but it paid a hell of a lot more than your shit one. But anyway, it's 4th July, I should really be thanking you. If you hadn't fucked Polly, Piper and I may not be together again now, so, thank you you guys!" I said and pulled them both into a very fake hug.

I turned and kissed Piper deeply again. We parted from the kiss and opened our eyes because everyone was cheering and looking at us. One of Piper's parents' friends had starting chiming his glass with a fork.
"I would just like to wish a huge congratulations to the newly engaged couple on board tonight!-"
Piper wasn't wrong when she said her mom had a big mouth.
"Who's engaged?!" Polly cluelessly asked. She clearly hadn't noticed mine or Piper's rings sparkling on our left hands.
The friend continued and I wrapped an arm around Piper's waist.
"-Congratulations to Piper and her new fiancé Alex!" Everyone cheered and we grinned and thanked them all. I turned to Polly and Larry who had their mouths wide open. They had finally noticed the matching rings on both of our hands.
"Speech Piper!" Her mother called to her. Piper then got to the platform with me in tow and told them all how we got engaged.

"Thank you all. Alex and I really couldn't be happier tonight. Well I'm guessing you are all dying to know who asked who and what the story was. Well, we have two stories to tell actually. It all started when we were in prison together. Most of you know Alex and I had a relationship prior to prison but we broke up for private reasons. My jackass of a fiancé was angry at our breakup so then named me and got me thrown in prison. BUT. It wasn't all Alex's fault. My crime was MY crime. I did carry out a crime. Yes everybody your innocent little Piper isn't so innocent!" Everyone laughs.

"Anyway. We got back together in prison and an inmate unlawfully died at the hands of an inexperienced CO so a riot ensued. It turned ugly and dangerous and it made me realise, there is NO ONE else out there who I'd rather spend the rest of my life with." I grinned and smirked at Larry when she emphasised 'no one else'. He was glaring at me but I didn't care.
"So, I called my parents, told them I was going to ask Alex to marry me. I did. In prison. And she still said yes!" They laughed again. "Then, today we decided to go ring shopping." She stopped to show off her ring.
"Alex and I once again proved we were meant to be because we went to completely different sections of the ring counter so the other wouldn't see what ring we chose because we know each other so well we knew what the other would like. We ended up with the same ring!" I looked over at Larry who was visibly jealous as Piper took my wrist and held up my ring.
"I had a business meeting earlier with Polly over there." Polly waved. I rolled my eyes at her.
"I came back home, Alex and I have a penthouse apartment so we have the floor to ourselves. Alex had laid out a trail of red roses for me to follow and had even prepared champagne and chocolate covered strawberries for me with "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green playing in the background. She had lit candles all over our apartment and said "Roses are red. Violets are blue. You asked me to marry you so I say I do." and put the ring on my finger." The crowd 'Awwwed' at us.
"So I replied, "Roses are red, just like your tattoo"....oh to those of you who don't know Alex has a rose tattoo on her right shoulder. Anyway. "Roses are red, just like your tattoo, I asked you to marry me because I love you." and I put the ring on hers." She finished and looked into my eyes. We kissed for a long time and the crowd cheered.
"Oh, and by the way." She started again breaking from our kiss. "Everyone here is invited. Even you two Polly and Larry since Polly you, me and Alex are business partners now and Larry, you can come if you want, there are no hard feelings. At least on my end anyway." I stood there smiling in awe at my fiancé. That was very big and sweet of her.

The party continued into the night when someone on board shouted "I see fireworks!" Piper and I went to a private deck and walked to the front of the boat, sat on the floor together hand in hand. Piper rested her head in the crook of my neck and I rested mine on top of her head. The fireworks started and their reflection sparkled in our rings.
"Happy 4th July Pipes." I said lifting my head so she could look at me.
"Happy 4th July Al."
We ended the night under the fireworks, holding hands and kissing the night away on that boat.