066

066

The room felt deprived of air

The room felt deprived of air. if one person breathed, they put the others at risk of suffocation. that was how he felt, that was how he feels.

he sat shackled in cuffs that rubbed the sensitive skin of his wrists raw, appearing to tighten with even the slightest movement. in front of him was a table, on either side of him his mother and his lawyer. across from him was a new officer and a large glass window he knew was two-sided rather than reflective. the chair he sat in was so uncomfortable that his entire body ached.

the room was bleak and dreary, a single window from behind him letting in the moonlight, striking the mirror like something from the beginning of a horror story. it was fitting, he thought blankly, he was in his own personal horror story.

"are you listening to me, boy?" the officer frowned in frustration. focusing back on the uniformed male, gaze no longer on his poor reflection, he watched focal points on the officer's face crease in tiredness.

the lawyer put a hand on his shoulder, most likely to aid as something familiar or reassuring, but it did nothing to help the antsy feeling that raged like tsunami waves in his stomach. the officer had finished going over accusations and laws and legality nonsense that he didn't understand even when they were put into the simplest of terms.

"he already told you all he had to." the lawyer spoke on his behalf, though it did nothing to appease the officer. "he told us nothing," the man hissed, eyes boring into the cuffed boy. and he was right. he, his mother, his lawyer, hadn't disclosed everything.

there was so much buzzing around his head at this point that he didn't know what or who to listen to.

eventually, after a few more long minutes of interrogation and coaxing, he shut his eyes tight and doubled over where he sat. his panic won over his reason, and he had given in to his heart palpitations.

"it was him," he said strained, blood rushing to his face from the awful position he bent himself in to, "if something bad happened, he did it."

there was an uproar, then; his lawyer advised him to not say anything more, his mother pleaded with him to stop talking, the officer pushing for information. "who're you talking about, jungkook," the officer, with his large eyes and hopeful face, leaned almost entirely over the table while the boy was still head over his knees.

jungkook couldn't hear. their words sounded like muffled whispers trying to penetrate through dense cotton. the bloodrush pounded in his ears and drowned out the last of the cacophony until there was but white noise.

it felt like an eternity had passed until his breathing evened and the dots that previously danced across his vision like snowflakes faded.

no one was speaking at this point. it was so much calmer as he sat back up with his eyes still closed serenely, now positioning himself in the chair with a relaxedness he hadn't exuded before.