39.

The rehearsal had already finished but I decided to stay longer to arrange some things and rehearse my part for a bit longer. I wanted it to be perfect.

There was suddenly a knock on the door and I looked up from the piano.

"What are you doing here?" Asked PD coming inside. "It's already past corfew."

"Really?" I asked checking the time on my phone. It was nearly eleven. "I didn't notice, sorry."

"No, don't worry. I won't say anything." He said and picked up a chair from the side of the room. "What were you doing?"

"I was arranging some things from the song which didn't quite fit in for me. I want to do my best in the performance but some things just don't really fit my voice." I answered honestly.

"Maybe I can help you." He offered himself. "Just don't tell the boys." 

I chuckled and nodded. He then told me to play the song in the piano and sing my part.

"You should be more confident during your high note. You reach it perfectly but you sound worried. You should deliver that note more confident. Also, try to make this song yours. You don't need to sing it like the original." He advised me.

I nodded and tried again. Only this time taking into account his advise.

Once I finished singing he clapped for me.

"Much better!" He said smiling and gave me a side hug. "Looks like my fake sister will do really well in this performance!"

The door then suddenly opened and Chengcheng was there. He saw PD and quickly bowed.

"Sorry. I didn't know she was with you." Chengcheng apologised to PD.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him. "It's past corfew."

"You didn't come to the dorm and I was worried." He said scratching his nape.

"Oh, how cute!" PD teased him and stood up. "I will be leaving now. You should go to sleep soon. Don't overwork yourself. Goodnight!" He said and we bowed before he left.

Chengcheng then approached me and backhugged me.

"Can I listen to it?" He asked me.

"No, it's a surprise." I told him.

"Oh, come on! I really want to hear it!" He said and sat down on the chair PD was previously sitting down on.

"Okay..." I said and began playing.

He joined in and it ended up becoming a duet. It honestly sounded magical. I didn't want that moment to ever end. It did, though, and he kissed the tip of my nose.

"Come on. Let's go back to the dorm. You need to rest." He said and pulled me up from my seat.

He intertwined our fingers and we walked back to the dorm silently. Just listening to the sound of the crickets and the owls.

"I wish we could have some night walks." I suddenly said. "Back in Hong Kong it was an impossible thing to do, but here we have corfew so we can't. I really like this." 

Chengcheng then gave me a side hug and pulled me close to him.

"Maybe we can sneak out sometime. What they don't know won't kill them." He said and kissed my forehead."

**********************************************************

The next morning I woke up before the staff called us and quietly got ready. Once I finished, I headed to the cafeteria, which was being prepared.

"What are you doing here? The staff called you already?" One of the boys from the staff asked panicked. He seemed to be on his mid to late twenties.

"No, don't worry. I just got up earlier than usual." I explained.

"Oh, thank god. I thought we were late." He said relieved. "You're Zhu Lin, right?" He asked me.

"Yes, indeed. Nice to meet you. What's your name?" I asked him.

"Zhou Longwei. The pleasure is mine." He said and went back to work. "My litter sister is a big fan of yours. She follows the program every week. She says she wants to be like you when she grows up. " 

"Really? How cute. Tell her I said thank you." I said. "How old is she?"

"She's nine. Her birthday was two days ago." He explained while placing the stack of trays on its place.

" She's so little! Happy Birthday!" I said.

"Anyways, do you want something to eat?" He asked me.

"Just an apple will do." I told him and he nodded. "Thank you."

"No problem. It's my job after all." He said and went to the kitchens to grab an apple.

I checked my social media and saw that Guigui had posted the picture we took together. 

It was such a pleasure meeting this aspiring young artist. Give her lots of love on her upcoming performance! @ Linlin_ip <3

The fact that she promoted me in her instagram made me extremely happy and I decided to check the comments to see what people were saying about it

@ Zhengting_forever : She's just an attention whore. She's only close to the Yehua boys to become famous. Screw her! #GetZhuLinOutOfIdolProducer

@ Yehuaboyslover : She's now trying to gain attention by hanging out with artists? How low. She thinks she's famous or something. Stop stealing our boy's spots and screen time!  #GetZhuLinOutOfIdolProducer

@ IP_lover :  She's so fat! How did she even make it to the program?! #GetZhuLinOutOfIdolProducer 

@ Cpop_Producer : She looks like a cow! Do yourself a favour and leave the program. Stop embarassing youself.  #GetZhuLinOutOfIdolProducer 

I decided to check the hashtag and saw that there were thousands of post under it. Most of them said I was fat and I was seeking attention, but several were even death threats. They were telling me to stay away from the boys, specially Chengcheng, or else they would kill me.

I stood up and left the room in tears.

"Hey, Lin! Your apple!" Longwei yelled as I left.

"Don't worry. I'm not hungry anymore. Thank you. "