Who Should Compensate for Life?

Feng Jin Yuan walked towards Peony courtyard. Upon entering, he saw the matriarch leading his concubines to receive him.

Having left the capital for so long, suddenly seeing relatives caused him to become a little moved. He could not help but increase his pace slightly then kneel in front of the matriarch: "Mother, son has returned."

These words caused the matriarch's old eyes to fill with tears. Holding Feng Jin Yuan in her arms, she wanted to tell him to stand, but the tears made her unable to speak.

It was granny Zhao who went forward and helped Feng Jin Yuan up and said on the matriarch's behalf: "It's good that master has returned. Taking care of such a large family, elder madam was careful and attentive, not daring to be the slightest bit distracted!"

Feng Jin Yuan knew that too many things had happened at the manor over the past little while, and this had troubled the ill matriarch. He could not help but gratefully say: "Son thanks mother and will remember mother's help for the rest of my life."

The conversation between mother and son caused even the concubines behind to wipe away tears. Xiang Rong had always been a soft-hearted person, so she also began to tear up. Chen Yu was good at acting, so she naturally would not miss out on such a thing. It was Feng Yu Heng and Feng Fen Dai who were unable to produce any tears. Feng Yu Heng had a cold and distant expression while watching this scene, and Fen Dai raised her voice and shouted for the sake of changing the topic: "Concubine mother, you must not cry! That is one of the things that must be avoided while pregnant. Don't cause any injuries for younger brother."

These words reminded Feng Jin Yuan that Han shi was pregnant. He had received this news in a letter from the matriarch. Thus he quickly moved into the group and headed straight towards Han shi, but he did not see Jin Zhen's expression instantly become depressed.

"You've worked hard." Feng Jin Yuan held Han shi's shoulder and felt that she had become plumper, but her belly had not yet begun to stick out. Thinking about it, not too much time had passed, but it should become visible after the new year.

"Husband, you've finally returned!" The words rushed out of Han shi's mouth, as she dove into Feng Jin Yuan.

Feng Jin Yuan had always been a respectable and cautious person in front of others, so he definitely would not be seen being intimate with a wife or concubine on a normal day. With Han shi now being pregnant and him having been away for two months, it would not be good for him to push her away, thus he hugged her.

Fen Dai found this scene to be beautiful. So long as Han shi could grab hold of Feng Jin Yuan's favor, her status within the Feng family would steadily rise.

Normally, the matriarch did not like Han shi, but she now had to take care of the potential child, so she said: "Stop crying. Fen Dai is right. You must not cry while pregnant. I will have the servants prepare a supplement and bring it over to you."

Feng Jin Yuan felt a surge of emotion, "Many thanks mother."

"What is there to thank." The matriarch finally smiled, "She is your concubine, and my grandson is in her belly. Is it possible for me to not treat her well? She even moved from her courtyard to Yu Lan courtyard because it sees more sunlight, which is good for her health."

Feng Jin Yuan nodded and gently patted Han shi's shoulder, saying: "I really must thank mother properly."

Han shi no longer remained in his embrace, as she reluctantly stood up and bowed to the matriarch, "This concubine thanks mother-in-law for taking care of me."

"You should avoid doing it. I already said that there is no need for you to bow since you are pregnant. Let's not keep standing around in the yard. Let's go inside. With a charcoal brazier, it's much warmer there."