Feng shi's Method for Producing Steel

Feng Yu Heng was quite interested in walking wherever she pleased, but right now, she had to deal with a rather troubling problem: Teach Xuan Tian Ming how to read simplified characters.

She told Xuan Tian Ming: "I write this way entirely because I am lazy. I want to write a few less strokes. Either way, as long as I understand the meaning, it's fine."

How could Xuan Tian Ming believe this, as he frankly said: "You can just directly tell me that these are Persian words."

She shrugged: "Although I really want to say that, in reality, these really are not Persian words. If you insist on continuing this discussion, it is something that will end up being revealed sooner or later."

Xuan Tian Ming wanted to say that there were quite a few things that she wanted to reveal in the future, but in the end, he was unwilling to expose her. Under Feng Yu Heng's guidance, he began to become accustomed to the simplified characters used in "Feng shi's Method for Producing Steel".

The so-called "Feng shi's Method for Producing Steel" was really just Feng Yu Heng's handwritten guide to producing steel. From the creation of slag to the final step of adding silicon, maintaining control until the end with steel being produced, there were a total of 19 steps. Each step had detailed explanations and instructions. There were also some problems that could not be resolved in the current era. She had done some analysis on her own and found some alternative measures, which were also noted down with instructions. But these alternative measures required some experimentation. It was still unknown if it would succeed or not. This was the hardest part of producing steel for them.

Xuan Tian Ming had a very good ability to absorb knowledge. Feng Yu Heng explained the basics of reading simplified characters then guided him through a few lines. After that, he was already able to figure things out, but some of the more professional terms still required Feng Yu Heng to explain.

Two hours later, he finally put down the guide and said to Feng Yu Heng: "Producing steel is not an easy task. After reading this, I am even more certain of its difficulty. I cannot guarantee that we will definitely succeed, but at the very least, we can give it a try. If one time is not enough, we can try a second time. If two times is not enough, we can try 20 times. No matter how long it takes, I trust that we will succeed in the end. The heavens will not be so pitiless towards my Da Shun."

She nodded. While getting started with tidying up the forge, she said: "This is unrelated to whether or not the heavens take pity on Da Shun. Although I have not personally produced steel, I have personally seen someone else produce it. It's just that some of the tools needed do not exist, so the alternatives are what we need to test."

Xuan Tian Ming became serious and moved his wheelchair. He began to prepare things along with Feng Yu Heng.

The first step in producing steel was producing slag. Compared to the later steps, this was quite easy. Or perhaps it could be said that everything from creating slag to mixing it in the furnace was easy. It just required an electric furnace and some air. Who knew if the large bellows would be able to do the job. Especially in the following step of smelting, oxidizing and removing of carbon, that was when they would truly begin their experimentation.

The two did not care for their image, in fact, Xuan Tian Ming even climbed out of his wheelchair and sat right on the ground. Feng Yu Heng provided technical guidance, while Xuan Tian Ming was the main laborer.

"Creating slag is when the composition of the steel can be adjusted. When creating the slag, the alkalinity and viscosity of the slag have an effect on the product. The purpose is to refine a metal that has the desired temperature and composition." She would say a few things, and he could act. From the quantity of materials to how long something spent in the furnace, everything was strictly regulated. He absolutely did not dare carry on forward. Unfortunately, after the slag came out, Feng Yu Heng shook her head: "No good, the oxidized slag is not sufficiently clean. If it is like this, it's very easy for phosphorus to return to the metal." Thinking a little more, "I feel that everything else is fine. It's just a matter of timing. Although we calculated it very carefully, it was not accurate enough."