72 ; Revised

Triggering Scenes: Zayn's Point of View flashback.
-
Stars Dance
Chapter 72
•••
Selena's Point of View

AFTER WHAT SEEMED like Doniya and I had been talking for hours, she and I had decided to head out. Leaving her must trusted employee in charge of the coffee shop while she was out, before she and I decided to head out.
-
Getting into her car and pulling out of the parking lot she continued the conversation as if change wasn't a big deal, we sent from sitting in a coffee shop to a moving vehicle in a matter of minutes.
-
"I don't know if I should even be telling you this myself, but the relationship itself became a problem for all of us as it was for him." She says.
-
"I only know she was pregnant at one point as a teenager." I admit.
-
"My mum wasn't too happy about it." She admits. "Maybe if Lucy had been a better person, my mum probably wouldn't have cared, maybe even would have been happy to have a grandchild." She admits shrugging her shoulders.
-
I turn to the window and think to myself if I should even mention that the child she was actually talking about wasn't actually aborted but given up for adoption and is most likely somewhere here in Bradford. Once again, if the topic doesn't come up then there's no need to bring it up. Besides I don't know if Zayn would even want me telling them anything.
-
"Yeah." I linger on, not really knowing what to say and not really wanting to say anything either.
-
"I wasn't there often to witness anything crazy she admits, but when I was...I didn't want to be near them when she was around." Doniya admits pulling up at a red light. "Everything was ok at first, I mean he was a teenager in love or whatever." She rolls here eyes. "Brings a nice girl over to meet the family it looks like it's getting pretty serious and next thing you know? Everything changes." She says.
-
"How so?" I question as she turns a street corner.
-
"I know my brother was probably looking for some outlet to escape what was going on at home, but she made it seem like she was his savior." She says. "Zayn couldn't do anything with out her, she made sure he was co-dependent on her all the time." Doniya says sounding annoyed at the thought.
-
It is hard to wrap my head around what she's telling me about Zayn, who I've come to know now, couldn't picture a vulnerable Zayn like that in the past. When Zayn walked and talked, he did it with a purpose, he had motive and he did it with confidence. The drastic change in those few years shows the kind of impact Lucy had on his life.
-
"He became closed off, choosing her over himself many times." She says. "I felt disappointed in him at one point because Zayn had become someone who I didn't recognize anymore." Doniya continues. "Everything became a screaming match with him, he'd say we didn't understand him, or his relationship he had with her." She lifts her shoulders carelessly as we continue the drive down the street. "They were on and off for a couple years, he was a mess when he wasn't with her and he was a mess when he was." She says citing no difference.
-
"Did you ever find out what happened with the baby they were suppose to have?" I question out of curiosity wondering if they knew something different then I did.
-
"Zayn had told my mom, I had found out through her. I don't know if I'm honest...she probably got rid of it." She says carelessly. "I mean her body her choice, but he was destroyed after her parents got out of this town."
-
Before I couldn't say anything anything we pulled into the neighborhood where Zayn's house was, pulling close up to the sidewalk, I noticed Zayn, his father of all people, his mom, Adam, and Jackie all huddled outside.
-
"What's going on here?" Doniya said as she quickly parked and turned off the car and getting out through the driver's side door and I followed behind her.
-
The scene was chaotic, discussions and arguments were happening left and right, I didn't know if I should get involved because this looked like a family matter.
-
"Dad? What are you doing here?" Doniya questioned her father.
-
"It's him at the dinner table or me, but you can't have both mum." Zayn offered him mom an ultimatum.
-
Jackie signed frustrated and pushed her hair behind her ears. "Ok Zayn, I need you for follow me inside now." Jackie pointed at the door of the house behind Zayn. "Selena?" She turned to me and my eyes widen.
-
"Uh-...yeah, Zayn please?" I begged.
-
I took his hand in mine and intertwined our fingers together as I pulled him by his hand towards the house, and Jackie followed beside him and I. We went up the stairs with Zayn leading the way and Jackie and I followed behind him, he pushes the door of his room angrily and Jackie walks in behind him and I am the last one in closing the door behind the three of us.
-
"Are you out of your fucking mind?" Jackie exclaims at Zayn's in anger. "Giving your mom and ultimatum? You're fucking crazy!" She screams.
-
"You were there through all of it, I don't see why you wouldn't see my side of things, like you always have." He argued back.
-
"That's your fxcking mom!" Jackie argues. "One thing is hating his entire existence alone, but what if Wailyha and Safaa came home? Then what?" She said. "You have to learn how to pick and choose the right time and place."
-
"As you can see my sisters aren't home Jaqueline!" He exclaimed beck.
-
I rubbed circles in Zayn's back to try and calm him down, I cleared my throat. "How about for the sake of your mom's sanity we just follow through with her wishes, just for today." I bargained with him.
-
Zayn stayed silent for a second pinching the bridge of his nose and letting out a sigh.
•••
Zayn's Point of View
I sat across my father while Adam said slightly beside him but in a close distance. My mom, Jackie and Selena were in the kitchen prepping lunch, and I swear we sat here looking like we've let traditional norms win, women in the kitchen and men in sitting around doing nothing.
-
I would have much rather been in there with my mum helping at mixing some kind of chopped salad. I knew that wasn't going to be possible when my mum came in with a pitcher of fresh iced lemonade and three glasses. My father thanked her, so did Adam and smiled. I just nodded and put held a fake smile. Years ago this whole scenario was very different.
-
My father had come home late from work but his breath smelled of alcohol. He nearly tripped on his feet reaching the table to sit down, his tie and suit clearly a mess. I had come back from Levi's (who was waiting in the car) to get a few things to take back for a night at his house. Doniya had stayed at a friends and my younger sister Waiyhla sound asleep.
-
Seeing your father like this in your teens years could do damaging things. My mother appeared from the kitchen, she cleaned up for the night ready for home cooked meals in the morning the next day.
-
"Zayn go upstairs." My mom hurried me as my father lied nearly passed out on the table.
-
"I wish you would just stop putting up with his bullshit." I whispered at her harshly.
-
My father suddenly moaned. "L-listen...to your mother." He slurred pointing disoriented at the threshold of the dining room. "C-cause...it's already- clear you're not going to listen to me." He said drunk in his words.
-
"Look at yourself, you don't even deserve a second of my time." I said at him disgusted.
-
He grew angry. "Then listen to your fucking mother and go upstairs; get your shit— and get the hell out!" He said balling his fists and slamming them on the table.
-
"James-..." My mum said defensively.
-
"Why? So you can continue to yell and scream at my mum whenever the hell you want, treat her less than someone you call your wife!" I fought back.
-
"Zayn stop it." My mom whisperer harshly. "Enough."
-
He tossed his head back and laughed, I swear he looked insane. "This—this is the kind of son you raised Tricia?! A son that disrespects his father!" He points at me while looking at my mum.
-
"You're a sorry excuse of man not even deserving to get called dad." I fuel further. "I fucking hope-...hope, I don't end up like you and if I do? I hope I find some sort of awakening so I can be better than you ever were! To my wife, my kids-..."
-
I felt like my words tugged at his nerves because before I knew it he was tripping up on his words trying to fire back at my rant, and next thing I knew he was lunging at me. With his fists in front of me, the only thing that stopped him was the table that stood in between us.
-
My mom cried at the sight of my father growing violent with me for the first time. "James! He's your son, please!" She cried.
-
She pulled at his arm trying to somehow stop him and if the table wasn't already doing that.  He shrugged her off from his grip and she fell to the floor of the dining room. "Get the fuck off of me!" He spat looking down at her from where he stood. "This is all your fault Tricia for allowing this boy to disrespect the very person that feeds him, keeps a roof over his head, clothes on his back, and shoes on his feet!" He screamed at her.
-
I grew angry at my helpless mum on the floor crying her eyes out, clearly afraid of him. She flinched at his words each time he shouted word after word. Afraid that that he would hit her.  I went after him.
-
"Get the fuck away from her!" I shouted at him.
-
I charged aver him and pushed him, he tripped on his own to feet and fell harshly on the ground. Groaning because of the booze he was intoxicated with trying to ground himself with his surroundings.
-
"Are you ok mum?" I examined her, caressing her arm with wide eyes as I ran my hands through her hair making sure she wasn't hurt.
-
"You're going to fcking pay for this." My father hissed pointing at me.
-
"I'm alright." She smiled at me assured me. "Leave! I want you out of this house!" She looked over my father with tears down her face.
-
He laughed. "You don't mean that Tricia you know that." He slurred. "You're just gonna beg me to come back, when I promise you that I'm sober again and the cycle repeats."
-
"Leave!" She cried. "Just leave please." She said holding me in her grasp. "You tried to hit my son, go-...get out!" She yelled.
-
"Son?" I heard my father called for my attention, bring me back from the horrible flashbacks of my childhood. At the hands of a man who sat in front of me reformed, sober, and different from who he was a free years ago. "So what do you think?" He questioned me further.
-
"About what?" I questioned and Adam looked at me as did my father.
-
"Working at the office, like your brother." He said eyeing the better of his two sons.
-
I scoff at the idea, working with him and Adam under one roof. Ridiculous. "You have two sons, bring them together to one university, don't tell them that they are blood related, who are fighting over the same girl at one point, who later have to find out for themselves." I set the scene. "Now you want us working together?" I scoff. "None." I motion my hands in the air. "Absolutely none of this is normal."
-
"Maybe if you would stop running from me and talked to me. We could at least co-exist." He pleaded . "We've only ever talked one time, a full conversation in a long time...the day you and your brother nearly beat each other to the pulp." He says and I cross my hands over my chest and roll my eyes tossing my head back. "I will admit and sincerely apologize that I could've handled the situation of the both of you differently." He says.
-
I didn't say anything, he was apologizing for once. For once in his damn life he was taking responsibility for his actions. In regards of working along side him with my brother, I don't think I would even if I'm some magical world I was semi-normal and he wasn't a dead beat father.
-
I ignored his apology, I wasn't just going to magically forgive him for everything. "Even in a normal world where I did like you James" I mentioned. "and I didn't just find out
Adam was my half brother, I'd still say no." I turned down.
-
"Why not? This could be a perfect opportunity for you to expand in your major." My father insisted. "Meet people who could be interested in taking you on-..."
-
"I'm not a business and finance major." I opposed.
-
"Think about it Zayn this could be great for you." Adam encouraged.
-
I rolled my eyes. If I had to take anymore of this, I would rather be smashing my tongue against a car door than continue to sit here. "No." I insist. "But I know...that you own a publishing company sector, and I'm not asking for myself, but if you could land Selena an opportunity there, then I guess I could start coming around more." I said the last part of my statement in a more hushed tone.
-
My father smiled. "If that's what you wish and if it would may yo happy."
-
Yeah, yeah.
•••
I didn't know how much more of this I could take when finally my mum, Selena, and Jackie say around the table. My mum sat at the end out the table, with my father at the other end, while Adam and Jackie sat beside each other and across from Selena and I. With my sister Doniya sitting on the other side of me closest to my mum.
-
We sat for a good minute eating in silence, when my father clearing his throat. "Thank you once again Tricia for allowing me into your home to have lunch with you and my children." He smiled nodding his head to her.
-
The atmosphere of this whole situation would have been much less awkward years ago. I looked over at Selena who gave me a reassuring smile and took my hand in here under the table, running her thumb over my tattooed knuckles.
-
"What would your girlfriend think about this whole situation right now? You having lunch with your separated wife and her children and her son?" My mum joked.
-
One thing about my mum is that she always tried to find humor in the darkness of it all. The only time I ever say my mum in distress and crying for the first time was when my father in his drunken state tried to violently fist fight me.
-
I noticed Adam's discomfort as he shifted in his seat while Jackie tried to ease his discomfort and I couldn't even look up to catch anyones facial expressions, I was too embarrassed myself.
-
"Well, it's not the ideal situation but, I wanted to see the girls, and Zayn before I went back to London to sort some commonalities with some business men coming from the states." He explained. "How is the shop holding up Doniya?" He turned his attention to my sister.
-
"Business is good." She looked up at him nodding her head with a smile before focusing back to her lunch plate. "You can come by and check it out if you want, sometime." She said.
-
"That's great sweetie, will do." He smiled.
-
"So James do you have plans for Christmas? I'm sure, you and Adam will be heading to the states for the holiday?" My mum questioned switching conversations. "Jackie you'll go with won't you darling?"
-
Jackie eyes peaked from the rim of the glass before setting it down and clearing her throat. "Well I don't know-..." She chuckled nervously.
-
My father interrupts. "I was thinking to Christmas here in Bradford." He said and my eyes widen. Christmas here? Is he crazy? "For the sake of the girls, so they get to know Adam better-..."
-
"Dad I don't think that's an appropriate idea." Adam shoots down the notion. For once I agree.
-
My mom scoffs. "What is your intention? To have the estranged wife and mistress under one roof!?" My mom grows angry. "Hell why don't we carol around the neighborhood and sing jingle fucking bells, at every damn door!"
-
My eyes shoot to Adam who squirms uncomfortably. "Tricia that's not what I meant." He rephrases. "I'm just trying to spend time with my children." He says.
-
"Find another way—" My mum said defensively. "Adam I apologize." My mom said touching her chest with her hand over her heart. "None of this is your fault." She says. "I'm sorry I ruined lunch, I'm so sorry. This was a mistake." She grows panicked and disappears to another part of the house.
-
"Mum—" I stand up to go after her.
-
"I'll go talk to her." Selena reassures me and a Jackie follows behind her, with my sister Doniya walking out first before them both going after my distressed mum leaving Adam, my father and I.
-
"You're so fucking sick." I point at my head to point of his twisted mind.
-
"I'm trying!" He says with anger in his tone. "I don't know what to do, I am desperate at this point! Your brother wants nothing to do with me!" He points in my direction and I roll my eyes. "I'm trying to get my children in one place at one time! I don't know what else to do."
-
"Listen calm down." Adam suggests. He looks over at me before turning his attention to me then our father. "But understand how she feels first and foremost. You can't just merge two families in one."
-
Adam was getting my father to reason with his thoughts and feelings, something I tried to get him to do years ago. My inner teenager trying to somehow save him from his own demise. Yet here was Adam helping him cope with that, in a way I never could. I couldn't bring myself to hide my own feelings of jealousy because he had something I never did. A dad.
-
"Your past actions have consequences." Adam explained. "I understand you're trying and you're desperate to mend whatever broken pieces there is between you and his mum, but you can't suggest a holiday get together so it magically fixes itself." Adam said. "You walked out on her years ago, the product of that consequence is standing right in front of you, trying to get you reason."
-
My eyes widen at Adam's words. "Plus I don't think his mum would be comfortable with whatever arrangements you think you'd have us in on Christmas Day." I chime in. "I've met Lauren, kind lady and all but—I don't know." Lingered off.
-
Before I could say anything else I heard footsteps from the front door making their way towards the dining room. It was Wailyha and Safaa, they stopped on their toes wide eyed when they saw my father.
-
"Daddy!" Safaa exclaimed.
-
My father quickly cleared his distress not wanting to alarm my younger sisters. "Safaa sweetie." He smiled leaning down to her height and embracing her in his arms before picking her up in his grasp. "Oh you've gotten big, since I last seen you!" He smiles at her.
-
"Hey dad." Wailyha followes after her, walking up to his frame and hugging him. He smiled and took one of his arms from holding Safaa and wrapped it around Wailyha.
•••
Selena's Point of View

Jackie and I walked in on Doniya comforting her mother. Zayn's mom spots me walking in after Jackie, and she turns her face the other way. "Selena I don't want you to see me like this, I wish under different circumstances you'd meet me and my children, for other something than drama." His mother cried wiping her tears.
-
"Please don't apologize." I whisper to her.
-
"No I have to, James thinks I'm just magically suppose to forget everything and by Christmas we're gonna be one big happy family, he's fucking crazy." She says grasping at her hair and pushing it back with her hands.
-
Doniya didn't say anything and just sat beside her mother comforting her. Jackie nodded her head and sat beside her as well, leaning onto her shoulder and giving her an assuring smile.
-
This situation was bigger than myself, Jackie, and Doniya combined. We were all adults sure, but it started with two people, and the domino affect that it had on everyone involved clearly had it's affects, on everyone. Even me. I wanted Zayn to have some sort of understanding with his father but at the same time, I wanted Tricia to be at peace, with herself, Zayn and his father.
•••
That night Zayn and I returned back to Levi's house. We decided that we would leave in the morning to arrive at the campus early the next day. I packed my duffle bag with the bit of clothes that I brought with me, while he laid on the bed. I sat in my nightgown, on the floor of the room packing my things neatly.
-
"Your mom looked so upset." I bring up in conversation.
-
"My father is fucking asshole." He groans. "Even separated he manages to make her upset and cry."
-
Switching topics. "Let's just" I say standing up from the floor. "go to sleep." I tell him and lay beside him.
-
I find myself under the sheets and he follows turning off the lights and getting under the sheets as well. I cozy up to him and he wraps his arms around my waist pulling me closer to him. "I don't want sleep." He hummed in my neck.
-
"Oh no."I squirm giggling in his grasp. "It's been a long day and I—"
-
He pecks my lips. "Which is why, we both need to relax." He smirks, and begins to kiss down my neck, slowly sucking slightly.
-
"You're lucky I like you." I tease.
-
"Imagine if you didn't." He jokes back.
-
"Mhm." I hum. "Imagine." I stress.
•••