Becoming A Hero

Rubbing my back softly, my fingers grazed the scar that ached harshly. The last wall finally came crashing down, a small crowd had gathered around to see the destruction of just another building. None of them daring to get as close as I did. My feet planted themselves at the edge of the yellow tape, my left fist tightening its grip on my dulled f/c shirt that wrinkled at my touch. The rays of the setting sun shining in my face as a large beam of metal made its way down almost in slow motion...

"DAIACHI!"

"We could have gotten out of here and back at home if she hadn't run off like that!"

"We didn't have a choice!"

"WE DID HANAE! We...we did,"

"We have to leave her,"

"Don't worry baby..."

"...we'll be with you before you can say welcome back,"

"You were late picking Mikoto up I hear,"

"What?" Looking up from my plate, I came face to face with Grandma, her stern eyes looking at me from across the dining room table, "Uh, yeah. I lost track of time I guess. It won't happen again,"

As the three of us sat there, a heavy aura draped itself over the table. Mikoto looked up from his plate, warily placing another bite of chicken in his mouth. 

"You're never late to pick your brother up fro-"

"They tore it down," The silence of the room indicated that Grandma had gotten what I was speaking about.

Clearing her throat, Grandma wiped her lips with the napkin that sat silently on her lap. PLacing it on the table, Grandma looked down at Mikoto with a small smile. His big eyes looking between the two of us.

"Tore what down? Grandma, what is she talking about?"

"Mikoto, I think you should go to your room,"

"I'm not finished eatin-"

"Go."

With a harsh push off of the table, Mikoto mumbled his way up the stair, making sure to slam his door hard enough for the two of us to hear. The silence returned as my hands found their way to one another, fiddling together under the table as Grandma eyed me down.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I stayed silent, biting my bottom lip.

"No,"

"You know what your therapist said don't you?"

Again my lips stayed shut, my eyes began to fog over as tears washed over my thoughts.

"She said that if this sort of thing ever happened again it would be in our best interest to go-"

"Oh- Fuck whatever my therapist said!" Smashing my fist against the table, the cutlery shaking from the force. "She doesn't know a dammed thing about me! About us! How much we- we've gone through!"

"Y/n-"

"No! I know what your gonna say- be patient! Listen to the doctors, the nurses, the therapists- well screw them! I was eight Grandma! Eight fucking years old and was left to die! To take care of a kid who was barely even one year old! To take care of a kid when I was barely a kid myself!"

"Y/n," Looking up to my Grandmother's eye, I didn't see any change in them what so ever, "Your hands,"

Blinking once, my gaze went down to my hands, lifting them seeing the burns on the table, the dark cinders still leaving a light glow that slowly faded from view. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I brought my hands up to my chest.

"I'm um... I'm going to my room," Walking to the stairs, I made sure not to place my hands on the soft wood of the staircase handle, "Goodnight Grandma,"

~

"People on the street were staring at me! It was kinda embarrassing," Tooru spoke, her words sparking up other's interests.

"Sure, but isn't that pretty normal for you?"Ojiro joked with the invisible quirked girl.

"You wouldn't believe what a bunch of elementary school brats yelled at Me!" Sero moped pointing at himself.

"Nice try?" Tsu guessed her head on top of her folded arms jumping slightly when Sero groaned in protest.

Laughing at Sero Gina set her gaze on me, her hand propping up against my desk as she gave me a bright, ear to ear grin.

"What about you Y/n? Anything cool happens to you?"

I laughed lightly, placing my cheek against my folded fist.

"I mean it wasn't too bad. Though one girl our age got a little too close for comfort," The class laughed slightly before Gina scratched her neck.

"Well, at least it was positive right? I'm with Sero on this one, a lot of kids kept calling me rock monster or scary girl, heh not that I blame them, Present Mic did mess up my quirk name a little,"

The door slamming open put the class in their seat and their brains on high alert as Mr. Aizawa entered the class, this time out of his mummifying wraps.

"Morning"

"Good Morning Aizawa!"

"Ribbit. Mr.Aizawa you don't have bandages anymore! That's good news!"

"The old lady went a little overboard with her treatment," My eyes landed on the newly earned scar that traced under Aizawa's right eye. "Anyway, we have a big class today. Our hero Informatics."

'Oh no, please don't say it some test on the textbook we got! I didn't even touch that thing due to the festival!'

"You need codenames, time to pick your hero identities,"

I let out a sigh of relief as the class rejoiced but immediately sat down when Aizawa's hair began to float.

"This is related to the pro hero draft picks that I mentioned the last time you were in class together. Normally students don't have to worry about the drafts yet. Not until their second or third year actually, but your class is different. In fact, by extending offers to first years like you, pros are essentially investing in your potential. Any offers can be receded if interest in you dies down before graduation though,"

"Stupid selfish adults"

"Shut up Mienta," I groan, placing my attention back on the teacher.

"So what your saying is that we still have to prove ourselves after we've gotten recruited," Tooru questioned. The chalkboard up front giving statistics across it in white.

"In past years it's been more spread out but there's a pretty big gap this time."

"GAH! That's not fair~"

"What about the real star? Mua?"

As the rest of the class spoke about the board my eyes scanned the board, my eyes widening slightly in surprise seeing my name with three votes.

'Guess this is the start of being a hero,'