One

Lilith Thorne walked down the street. Her head held high. A cigarette was hanging loosely from her lips. All eyes were on her as she walked. A girl so small and so delicate made people part like the the Red Sea. There fear overtaking them.

Many men and women had moved out of her way, not wanting to engage with the young girl. Once they made eye contact with her they knew they would receive a look or a threatening remark. The others shook their heads. To the ones who moved, she was untouchable. A person to fear. To the ones who didn't move, felt she was a trouble maker, and had a major death wish.

Even though she was small, 5ft and three inches to be exact, people still feared the girl. Her temper and cases of violent outbursts made her a feared person. She would go through these "Blackouts" as Arthur called them, where all the anger would take over and she couldn't stop it. He knew how it felt because, he was the same way. Although it would take people longer to try and calm down Arthur Shelby.

Because of her close connections to the Shelby family, people knew not to mess with her.

A sudden gust of wind caused the long locks to spin quickly, like a mini twister in the sky. She also got judged for her hair too. All the women in Small Heath had either ear length or shoulder-length hair. It was the style. But Lili, she never followed what everyone else did or wanted. She allowed her hair to grow all the way down her back.

She smirked when she saw a fruit and vegetable stand up ahead. She would always eat an apple, every day. Polly told her as a child it would keep the doctor away, and she's never been to the doctors since. She grabbed an apple and threw it up in the air and caught it. She took a bite into it and raised her eyebrow at the man who owned the stand.

"Are you going to pay for that?" He asked. His eyes holding a lot of anger towards the girl.

"You're not from here. Where you from?" She asked as she stepped forwards. She took another bite and watched the man through her long lashes.

"Liverpool. Just moved. Now, are you going to pay for that apple? Don't think I know it isn't you that steals an apple every day". He shouted.

She raised her eyebrow, her smirk growing wider. She raised her arm to take another bite into her apple.

She pouted her lips and stepped forward again. "I don't think I will". She said. Her smirk had now turned into a full-blown grin.

He shook his head and walked out from behind his stall. He knocked the apple from her hand and grabbed her wrist. Pulling her into him.

"Now look here.." He started, his finger in her face.

Lili looked up at him with no emotion in her eyes. She raised her eyebrow up at him.

"Sam what are you doing? She's with the family your paying protection too. If they get wind of this they'll ruin you, do you understand?" A woman shouted.

Sam looked down at Lili to see a smirk on her face.

"What were you saying, Sam?" She asked.

He let go of her wrist and backed away. "Oh god, I'm sorry. I didn't realise. Yo...you can have all the free fruit and vegetables you like Miss". He stuttered.

She smirked and grabbed another apple. "Thorne. It's Miss Thorne". She said as she walked away.

She entered the Garrison and threw her half-eaten apple into the bin. She wrapped her apron around her thin waist and winked at Harry Fenton. The owner of The Garrison, and her boss.