Sixteen

Lili wrapped her arm around Tommy's waist as she walked him to Charlie's.

"I'm not letting you go to London alone Tommy. I'm coming with you". She said.

Tommy shook his head. "No it's too dangerous". He said.

She stopped walking and looked at him. "Too dangerous? Tommy you were nearly killed and now you've discharged yourself from the hospital to go to London? I'm going with you okay. I want to make sure your okay". She said.

They continued to walk. Lili rested Tommy against the wall as she picked Charlie's lock.

"All those things he said...bout you...there not true". Tommy said.

She turned her head to look at him, a sad smile on her face. "It is true though Tommy". She muttered.

She grabbed onto him and helped him walk past the horses.

"Hey, who goes there?" Charlie asked.

"It's me and Tommy". Lili shouted.

Charlie sighed as he let go of his gun. He frowned when he looked at Tommy. He had heard that he had been beaten up, he just didn't expect him to be out that quick.

"Curly, get that oil you put on the legs when they go lame. The yellow stuff go on". Tommy said.

Lili helped him into the chair that Charlie pulled out for him.

"They said you'd be in for another three weeks". Charlie said.

"I need to get a boat to London. Tonight". Tommy muttered, his head resting on Lili's chest as she stood behind him.

"You discharged yourself?" Charlie asked.

"I'm a fucking sitting duck in there Charlie. Sabini could send in a man at any time. I need to get some things done". Tommy muttered.

"You're burning up. Oh Tommy, that stuffs for rubbing into fucking horses". Charlie muttered, concern was evident in his tone.

"Ha ! I am a horse". Tommy said.

"If you were a horse, they'd shoot you with this many broken bones". Charlie said.

"Get the black powder Curly". Tommy muttered.

"You pay for a bloody hospital and you use witchcraft?" Charlie asked.

"I need to sleep in the open air and feel the boat under me Charlie". Tommy answered.

"Oh Tommy. Your just like your mother". He muttered.

"Do you have a boat here?" He asked.

"Only the January, she's heavy. London will take four days". Charlie answered.

"That will do. Can you spare Curly? He'll be my doctor". Tommy muttered.

Lili rolled her eyes and smiled.

"You have tobacco Curly?" Tommy asked.

"Yes and tea and whisky. We'll have you running around like a colt". Curly answered.