Fifty One

It had been a few days since Tommy had been discharged from hospital.

She was walking around the house. Her book in her hands as she walked. Tommy was sitting outside talking to Johnny Dogs and she didn't really want to entertain them.

"Lili love do you mind entertaining the guest in the drawing room whilst I attend to Mr Shelby's brothers?" Francis, Tommy's head maid asked.

Lili nodded and smiled softly. She thought it was either Moss wanting to speak to him or one of the Blinders.

She walked in looking down at her book. She shut the door and turned around. She shut her book and turned around. She gulped and dropped her book on the floor, making a loud thud.

Alfie Solomons turned around. His eyes meeting Lili's.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"Tommy asked to meet me". He answered.

She nodded and walked towards the drinks table. She poured herself a whisky and knocked it back. She turned around and pointed at the drinks. "I don't drink". He said.

"Sorry I forgot". She muttered. She poured herself another drink, larger this time.

Alfie watched as she knocked it back.

"Really? Tommy asked you here?" She asked turning around to face him. Her face scrunched up in confusion, one hand was on her hip, the other holding her glass.

He raised his eyebrow and tapped his cane on the ground.

"He did". He answered.

She nodded her head and sipped her drink.

"Your still drinking then I see?" He asked.

"That's what happens to people like us...when you have blood on your hands. Your demons come and make you see the reality of this dark world. The drink helps....for a while". She answered.

It was silent in the room, neither of them talking.

"Ava had a little boy by the way. She mentioned that she bumped into you". Alfie said.

Lili smiled softly. "Well, give her my regards". She said.

She tucked her hair behind her ear. She drank more of her drink and looked around the room, anywhere but him.

Alfie turned around and looked out the window again.

She licked her bottom lip and shook her head. She was not going to let Alfie see her getting upset with him here.

Lili knocked back her drink and slammed it down on the table. Alfie turned around and raised his eyebrow.

She walked towards him and sat down on Tommy's desk.

"How are you anyway?" She asked.

She crossed her arms and looked down at the ground.

"Very well mate. And yourself?" He asked, turning around to face her.

She looked up at him. "Surviving". She answered.

She searched his eyes and looked at the side of his face. She moved closer and gently trailed her fingers down the red scaled parts on his head.

"What's happened?" She asked.

"I've got fucking cancer mate". He answered.

She looked up at him with tears in her eyes.

"No don't do that". He said, a sigh escaping his lips.

He sighed and gently squeezed her shoulder. "I'm fine honestly mate. That's life innit? These things happen". He said.