Eighty Eight

Lili rolled her eyes as she walked into work, her eyes landing on Lizzie, Linda and Polly. She didn't mind Lizzie, and she adored Polly, but Linda was getting on her nerves.

"I'll be in the office if any of you need me". She muttered, walking into John's old office. She took a deep breath, looking around the room. How she was going to miss her dear John so much.

Lili slammed the door shut and pulled the shutters down, her eyes meeting Polly's as she did. She sat down at the desk and opened up the book, her eyes rolling when there was a knock on the door. "Come in". She muttered.

She looked up when Polly entered, papers in her hands. "Tommy asked could you get through these for him". She said, placing them down on the table. Lili nodded and grabbed the papers.

"How are you?" Polly asked.

Lili sighed and flicked through the sheets. "Yeah good, it's not like this migraine I've got is going to shift and I haven't slept a decent night sleep since before I got shot. But apart from that, I'm hunky-dory, the world is my oyster". She answered, pushing the papers away.

She sighed and held her head in her hands, rubbing her temple.

"I'm sorry Pol. I'm just being my normal selfish self. How are you?" She asked, sitting back in her seat.

Polly gave her a small smile, rolling her eyes at the younger girl. "You and your emotions Lili, you need to get them in check. I'm good, surviving as you like to say". She answered.

Lili smiled and nodded her head, twirling her pen in her hand. "I'll leave you to it, but you know John wouldn't want you doing this to yourself. I've seen him you know, every day. He said that he loves and misses you, and he's happy your alive. But with the way you're going, you won't be alive. Lili, we all love you. So, instead of keeping all those demons in your head, let them out and talk to us". Polly said.

Lili nodded and watched as she walked out, shutting the door behind her. She let out a sigh and rested her head on the table, letting out a groan. The door opened again making Lili's head shoot up.

"Yes?" She asked.

"So...sorry Miss Thorne". A man answered, standing in the doorway.

Lili raised her eyebrow at him, nodding her head. "Oh yeah, there's a call from London for you. Would you like me to direct the call to this office?" He asked.

Lili nodded her head and sat back in the chair, nodding her head. He closed the door, and a few seconds later the phone began to ring. Lili answered, thinking it was going to be Ada. But she, of course, had to answer professionally.

"Shelby Company Limited, Lilith Thorne speaking". She muttered down the phone. She grabbed her cigarette and lighted it.

"And there was me, thinking you were going to be happier to hear from me". Alfie Solomon's said.

Lili froze, her cigarette dangling from her mouth. She grabbed it and cleared her throat. "Alfie". She whispered.

"Last time I fucking checked that's me". He said, laughing down the phone. Lili shut her eyes and let out a small laugh. "I...you have no idea how happy I am to hear your voice". She whispered.

"Well, I promised I'd call yah when I got back home. Sorry, I never called you to say happy Christmas, hope you had a good one. So how is Birmingham, missed it, or are you missing big old London?" He asked.

"You haven't heard have you?" She whispered.

"Heard what?" He asked.

"Alfie...John..he's dead. We got shot at on Christmas day. Michael and myself....we we're in hospital but John he got...he got killed". She answered.

Alfie was silent for a moment, Lili thought at one point he was gone, until he cleared his throat. "You...you were shot?" He asked.

"Yeah.....I'm scared Alfie. In the first time in a very long time, I'm scared. I'm scared he's going to kill us off, one by one and I don't know what to do". She cried.

"Hey...look your Lili Thorne, one of the strongest women I have ever met. You'll be okay. Who is it? Who killed John?" He asked.

"Remember Vicente Changretta and his son Angel?" She asked.

"I vaguely remember Shelby talking about them in a meeting". He answered.

"Well...it's Vicente's other son, Luca. He's got a vendetta against us and he won't stop. And what really sucks, is that fact that I can't leave Birmingham to go and see you. Because Alfie, I have missed you so much. You have no idea how much I've missed you". She cried.

"It won't be long I promise. I can tell that Shelby will be calling for help, and then I'll come straight away. Lili.....I've missed you too. It will be okay, everything will work out the way it's meant to". He muttered.

Lili opened her eyes and took a deep breath. "Alfie...I know you don't like this when I say it, especially under the circumstances of things..." Alfie cut of Lili mid-speech with those four words she had been yearning to hear.

"I love you too". He muttered.

Lili smiled widely and licked her bottom lip. "I really do love you, Alfie. I better go, but...it was great hearing from you and I do hope to see you soon". She whispered.

"You will, don't worry. I'll call you later in the week, and Lili? Stay safe will you and try and not get shot again". He muttered.

Lili smiled, a tear sliding down her cheek as the line went dead. She took a deep breath and wiped away her tears. She didn't realise how much she had missed Alfie until now. The love she had for him was growing stronger and stronger.

Lili's black, cold heart, had engifted into a flame with the sound of Alfie's voice. She just prayed that Luca wouldn't get to Alfie before he got to them.