Sixty Eight

Lili crossed her arms as she sat at the dinning table for breakfast. She looked up as a woman placed down a plate of food. It was around nine am. Alfie and his men had left early to go to work. She raised her eyebrow as she ate. A sigh escaping her lips.

She looked up at the woman as she clasped her hands, her eyes straight forwards.

"What's your name?" Lili asked looking up at her as she nibbled at her toast.

"Zehava". She answered.

Lili nodded and ate more of her breakfast, a small sigh escaping her lips.

"How long have you know Alfie?" Lili asked.

Zehava turned her head to look at Lili. "My son was friends with him. They went to the war together and only Alfie returned. They where going to throw me out of my house so Alfie moved me in here. I was to serve as head house maid, and I got to live here for free. I have a house under my head, clothes on my body, hot food to eat and a bed to sleep in. He could of thrown me to the gutter like anyone else, but he remained loyal to me and my son. For that, I will serve him until the day I die". She answered.

Lili looked down at her plate and licked her bottom lip. She didn't understand Alfie at all. Hearing stories like this from Zehava and Bart made her see what a good person he was. She sighed knowing that deep down he was caring for her, looking after her. She finished her food and watched as another maid walked away with her plate.

She stood up and walked around the house. If she was going to be staying here she needed to know what the place was like. She walked around her eyes looking up at the paintings. She gently trailed her fingers against the wall as she walked.

A sigh escaped her lips, knowing she'd have to call the family, but then how would they react if they knew she was staying with Alfie. She knew the family like she knew her own back hand. They said they would be happy for her if she was with Alfie, but deep down they wouldn't be happy. He betrayed them, they wouldn't trust him.

She walked into a libary, a large smile spread across her face as she looked at all the books. Her eyes landed on a phone.

She walked over and dialled a number.

"Hello".

"Hi Delilah it's Lili". She said.

"Oh God Lili I was so worried. There's men at the house right now collecting your things. They've told me that your moving in with Alfie Solomons". Delilah said, worry evident in her tone.

"Yeah, the man that I killed was apart of a small gang and they want to get me for killing him. Alfie....he thinks it will be safer here so he could keep an eye on me. So I don't...you know do what I do again". She muttered.

Delilah let out a sigh. "Oh Lili, just be careful okay? He might be doing this, but Alfie Solomons is not a good man". She said.

Lili didn't want to argue with Delilah, she didn't want to make her see Alfie was actually a good man. "They said that they will have men outside the house to protect me. If they see your not here then I'll be fine. But keep in touch Lilith. And if you ever want to leave, your always welcome back at my house". She said.

Lili smiled sadly, she knew it wouldn't be that easy if she wanted to leave.

After she called Delilah she called Arthur and John, saying she was staying at a friends house and that she would call them on her scheduled days.

It was around nine pm when Alfie returned.

She was walking around the house, a book in her hand. She looked up when he walked in with his men. He looked rough, and angry.