Sixty Three

Lili sat down at the barstool and nodded her head at the bartender. "Whisky please". She muttered. The man nodded and poured her the drink. "You know what, leave the bottle". She said as she threw some notes down on the bar. He nodded his head and rushed to serve the next customer.

Lili was in a club. She poured herself a larger whisky and started to sip at it. Her eyes locking her own as she looked in the mirror. She sniffed and wiped her nose as she contiued to drink.

She turned her head as a man sat beside her, even though he could of chose any other bar stool.

"It's not everyday I see a lady like yourself drinking alone, especially with a bottle like that". He said, a smile on his face as he turned to look at her.

Lili looked at him, her eyes expressionless. Her drink was in her hand as she took another sip.

"You not going to answer?" He asked, his eyebrow raised.

She turned to look at her reflection in the mirror. She pulled her coat of and threw it over her lap, the mans eyes landed on her body. He looked her up and down, his eyes landing on her neck.

She knocked back her drink and poured herself another drink.

"Oh? Are you a criminal then?" He asked as he pointed to her neck. "Or have you escaped a bad marriage, because I will look after you". He said, as he placed his hand over her's. She raised her eyebrow, her eyes landing on his.

She rolled her eyes and turned back to her drink.

"My name is Howard by the way. Howard Jones, and you are?" He asked.

She rolled her eyes, not understanding why the man couldn't get a hint.

"Lilith Thorne". She muttered as she knocked back her drink.

She frowned when he grabbed her hand, stopping her from pouring herself another drink.

"Why don't you come back to my house, you can have all the free drink you like, not this cheap shit". He said.

Lili turned to him and smiled. She slowly pulled her knife out and pulled the man closer, the knife at his throat.

"I don't want to go to your house mate, I don't even want you anywhere fucking near me. So why don't you do us both a favour and fuck off and let me drink. Alone. Eh? I'm not bothered, I will never be fucking bothered". She spat. She pulled the knife away and drank more of her drink, her eyes dull.

He moved his hand from hers and glared at hr. "Bitch". He spat as he walked away.

She smiled and turned back to her drink, pouring herself another drink.

The bartender walked over an hour later and grabbed the empty bottle. "Can i 'ave another bottle?" She asked as she threw some more notes at him. He let out a sigh as he placed another bottle down, taking her money.

She opened the bottle and poured herself a drink, her hand holding up her head as she slumped to the side. She turned her head to look at a bunch of men who walked over to the bar, her eye's landing on a small man. All around him where tall men.

He looked over at her, a massive smile on his face. He walked over, his arms outwide. "Lilith Thorne, it's great to see you again". Bartholomew said as he hugged her.

Lili smiled and hugged him back. "Hello Bart". She said softly. She pulled away and smiled at him. He looked down at her neck, a frown on his face.

"What on earth happened to you?" He asked.

She licked her bottom lip and drank some of her drink.

"Let's just say the man I thought of as a brother nearly got me to hang". She muttered.

Bart frowned and nodded for the men to leave from them.

"Why? What the hell happened?" He asked.

Lili tucked in her bottom lip, her nails tapping on the bar. "A little misunderstanding. How are you? I believe Ava gave birth to a little boy". She said softly, ignoring his questions completely.

"She's good, we got a little girl now too. And she's pregnant with another one". He said, a warm proud smile on his face.

Lili smiled and knocked back her drink, pouring herself another.

"So what you doing in a place like this?" She asked.

He smiled and looked around.

"Well I own it". He answered, a wide smile on his face.

Lili raised her eyebrow, her glass at her lips. "Own it?" She asked.

He smiled and nodded his head. "Yeah. I owned a bar before the war, but it go blown up. When we returned, it was gone. Everything I built was destroyed. I had my beautiful wife, we had a small home, but no money. It was hard, Ava would work as a housemaid and I worked in a factory". He answered, smiling softly.

"What happened then?" She asked. She was intrested, she wanted to know more.

"Well when you met us, back when you where working,,,with you know...Alfie. Well we had that small house still, Alfie...he bought the house from us. He paid are rent, any money we made we would use for ourselves. When Ava found out she was pregnant, he....he moved us to a bigger house, one with a garden. Ava and I....we always wanted a dog, and a house with a garden". He answered smiling widely.

Lili looked down at her drink and gently swirled it around.

"So how did you get this place?" She asked.

"Alfie bought it, I don't per-say own the place, it's in Alfie's name but I'm the manager here. He allows me to run the place, he runs the buisness side. He never wanted me getting involved with his world. When I was looking for work, he found me it. But he never wanted me to work for him, never wanted me to risk my life for him. That's Alfie for you. Even in the war he always looked after me. Since we we're kids too". He answered, a smile on his face.

"So you went to school with him?" She asked.

Bart smiled widely and nodded his head. "We have, our mothers where both best friends. They both had us and we've been together ever since. When they.....when they chased Alfie's mother and killed her, my own mother brought him in. He's a brother to me". He answered.

Lili forced a smile when Bart looked at her. She turned her head and looked at her reflection in the mirror.

"So are you here from buisness or pleasure?" He asked smiling.

"To escape". She whispered.

Bart frowned and looked at her, his mouth open, but no words coming out.

"I better be off Bart, don't want to be keeping you. It was lovely seeing you again, tell Ava I said hello". She said as she stood up. She grabbed the bottle and went to turn.

"You know, if this helps in anyway.He really does love you, he does. When he was with you, he was happy. I've never seen Alfie like the way he was when he was with you. He is stupid okay, with siding with the people you and your family were going against, but it doesnt stop the way he feels about you". He said.

She turned to look at him, a sad smile on her face. "See you around". She said as she walked out, pushing her way through the dancing people.