Fifteen

The Shelby's and Lili all took it in turns sitting in with Tommy. There where days he would speak, and then there were days where he'd just stare into space.

Lili was currently in the room with him. She was reading a book, her eyes occasionally looking up at Tommy.

"Would you like anything to drink Tom?" She asked.

He turned his head to look at her, his head shaking.

She looked back down at her book, she hands shaking. It had been a few days since she last had a drink, and she could feel withdrawal symptoms taking her over.

The door opened behind them, a nurse popped her head in, a warm smile on her face.

"Is it okay if you have one more visitor Mr Shelby?" She asked.

"No". Tommy answered.

"I'm here on the kings orders". Cambell said as he walked in.

He turned to look at Lili.

"Ahhh Lilith Iris Margaret Thorne. I've heard a lot about you. Yes....trouble maker, vindictive liar, sly, bully, abuser of power....murderer. It's nice to finally meet the face of the infamous Thorne. I mean your brother was famous for Communism, but you missy, your famous for a lot more. How is it you make a murder look so clean? You never leave a trace that it was you?". He asked.

Lili closed her book and crossed over one leg.

She looked up at him. "Murder? I have no idea what your talking about. I'm just a barmaid". She answered.

She smirked and looked him up and down. "Major Chester Campbell. Long way from Belfast isn't it? Your a Royal Irish man who serves for the king. You, want to rid the world of crime and corruption yet your the most corrupt of them all. You see, I've got some friends in the police station, and they talk. Especially when they've had a drink and the things you do". She shook her head and tutted. "You call yourself a man, but your just a pig. You didn't even fight in the war. Your a coward. Your the murder here". She looked down at his cane and smirked. "Nice limp by the way, I know it was Grace who gave it to you. It's a shame she missed. You see you may know about me Mr Cambell, but just know this, I know a lot about you too". She said.

She turned her head to look out the window, her mouth pouted. She was angry and he knew it.

Cambell chose to suppress his anger towards the girl as he turned his attention back to Tommy. He knew he'd get her and make sure she hanged for her crimes.

"Are you not going to thank me for saving your life?" He asked.

Lili licked her bottom lip and smirked as Tommy pointed to the small table beside his bed. "Pass me cigarettes". He muttered.

"Three nights ago, at the co-operative stables in Montague Street, there was a murder. A man named Duggan". Cambell said as he placed the cigarettes on Tommy's chest. Tommy winced and grabbed the packet.

"Lili get out and get some fresh air". Tommy muttered.

"No, no she can stay and listen. She's not innocent so her ears won't be affected". Cambell said as his hands were rested on her shoulders, his full weight going down on them.

"The Oxfordshire constabulary found his body in a shallow grave". Cambell stated.

"I need to piss". Tommy said.

Lili went to stand up but Cambell forced her back down in her seat. She winced as he dug his nails into her shoulders.

"I know it was you who carried out the murder of Mr Duggan". Cambell said.

Tommy licked his bottom lip and pulled out a cigarette.

"Oh, by the way, Grace went to New York. A place called, ehhh....Ploughkeepsie. She's married now". Tommy muttered.

"To a barber, he's rich. I say she's very happy now. You've been under my microscope for some weeks now. I have been observing every move you make. And that is why, I was on hand to save your life". Cambell stated.

"I imagine being shot by a woman hurts the same as being shot by a man. Just a bit more shameful. You know, Mr Cambell, when I got shot they gave me a medal. Yeah. No medal for you I bet". Tommy muttered.

Lili jumped as Cambell hit his cane on the ground.

"Mr Shelby, our reunion....is part of a very carefully worked out plan, which has been in place for some time now". Cambell said as he walked away from Lili. He was now leaning over Tommy.

"I bet every time you use that stick you see her face". Tommy teased.

"And as as result of the information in my possession, I can charge you with murder at any time and provide two impeccable Crown witnesses whose testimony will lead you directly to the gallows. You are on my hook now Mr Shelby". Cambell said as he began to choke Tommy.

Lili stood up and rushed to Cambell. "Get your fucking hands of him". She shouted, her thick brummie accent was strong.

Cambell turned around and whacked her in the face with his cane, sending her to the ground.

"And for this moment forward, you belong to me". He seethed.

He turned around and dragged Lili up from her hair. She clawed at his hands as he dragged her to the other side of the bed. He pushed her back into her chair. He grabbed her face and smirked at his work. She could feel a trickle of blood trailing down her face.

"Get well quickly. I'll be in touch the moment I hear you can piss standing up. Then I will send you you're instructions". He said as he pushed Lili's face away. He smirked and walked out the door.

Lili turned to look at Tommy rushing to his side immediately.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

He lifted up his hand and grabbed her face. The cane had hit her on the side of her face, leaving a cut.

"Are you?" He asked.

She nodded her head and gently placed her own hand on his.

"Do you need anything? Do you want me to get the nurse?" She asked.

He licked his bottom lip.

"No. There is one thing I need from you though". He muttered.

She sat down on his bed and nodded.

"I need your help discharging me". He muttered.