Fifty Five

Lili walked with the Shelby family as they walked to the Grace Shelby Institute. She smiled and gently squeezed Michael's arm as they stood beside each other.

After there photo's had been taken, they walked inside, finding there seats. Lili was sat beside Michael. She smiled and looked down at her hands. She hadn't seen Alfie for the past four days but they called each other every night.

"Welcome to the opening of the Grace Shelby Institute for non-insured children of the poor. I would very much like you to join me in thanking the man that made the founding of this establishment actually possible. Ladies and Gentlemen Mr Thomas Shelby". Polly said softly down the mic.

Everyone stood up and clammed.

"SPEECH". Arthur shouted.

"Come on! Speech". Arthur shouted again.

"Say it, Tom! Say it, Tom". John chanted.

"I didn't come here today to make a speech, but I will say this, these children are now safe.
In our care, they will be safe because we are from the same cold streets as they are. And, in our care, they won't be shipped away to the colonies, or separated from kin, or made to work for men in their various ways". Tommy said.

Lili grabbed Michael's hand, her eyes welling up with tears.

"They will grow up here, at home, loved. In Birmingham. Because this is our city". Tommy muttered.

"By order of the Peaky Blinders". Arthur shouted.

"Now let us sing. Immortal Invisible". Polly said.

"I need some fresh air". Lili whispered as she rushed out. Tommy sighed as he watched her rush off.

Tommy found her sitting beside the memorial for Grace.

He placed his hand on her shoulder. "You hear that, Grace?" Tommy asked quietly.

"The absence of my invitation for this event was obviously an oversight on your part, Mr Shelby". A voice said. Lili looked up in fear at the voice.

John Hughes walked over to them.

"But look, I have the keys. I have allocated myself an office. Just there, two doors in from the street. It's the one that already has the stove and the crucifixion on the window. Mr Shelby? It is the one that has the crucifixion on the window in orange and red. That will be my office. And I will take them to St Aloysius for confession. You do understand that these keys are part of our broader arrangement? In the next 24 hours you will do exactly as you have been instructed. You'll not deviate. You'll not fail". He said.

He looked down at Lili and frowned for a moment. He looked into her eyes and smiled.

He walked down the corridor and opened the door for the children to enter.

"Come on, little fellas! Slow down". He said.

Michael had walked over to them, his eyes wide with fear.

"The, er The Lord Mayor would like you to come and eat cake and drink some tea". He muttered. He walked away after a moment. The door slamming shut behind him.

Lili stood up and looked at Tommy. "How can you stand there and let him....let him fucking do that. Let him work here with children". She shouted.

"Don't shout at me. Especially in a place that is dedicated to Grace". Tommy snapped.

"He raped me Tommy. He fucking raped me. He fucking raped Michael too. And so many other children. And guess what he's going to do the same thing here". She shouted.