Fourty Eight

Lili looked at her reflection and smiled. Her long curly hair was pinned back into a bun. She had two thin strands of hairs hanging down.

Her long, fluttery lashes where painted black. Her lips where painted a dark red.

 Her lips where painted a dark red

Lili's dress

She smiled as she got into the car with Polly and Ada. She licked her bottom lip and looked down at her hand.

Her eyes where on the ring Alfie gave to her. She never took it off, she always left it on.

They soon pulled up outside the venue. The door was opened for them as they stepped out.

The three ladies went the separate ways as they walked inside. Lili grabbed a glass of champagne and smiled. She wrapped her fluffy shawl around her, she didn't want anyone to see her back.

She smiled as she saw Michael.

They both talked for a while until she went to find Arthur.

"Hey you". She said softly.

He looked down at her and smiled. "Are you okay?" She asked.

"I am Lili. I'm sorry about the other day. I...I just needed to leave". He said.

She smiled sadly and rubbed his arm. "It's okay. Really Arthur I understand". She said.

"I'm sorry you and John had a fight too. You still not talking?" He asked.

She licked her bottom lip.

"I haven't seen him since that night Arthur. If he's civil with me here I'll have a talk with him, but if he starts on me I'll go for him, I don't care". She said.

"Go for who?" John asked.

She turned around to look at him, her lips pouted.

"Oh let me guess its me". He said.

She smirked and rolled her eyes. "Well done Johnny". She said.

She took a sip from her drink.

"Look...I'm sorry okay. I'm sorry for...for what I said Arthur. I need to consider your feelings I know. And I'm sorry Lili, for taking my anger out on you when all you cared about was the welfare for my brother". He said.

Lili smiled and wrapped her arm around him. "Thank you". She whispered. She smiled and gently kissed his cheek.

Lili turned her head and her smile dropped. Her eyes landing on the one man she thought she'd never see again. Tears where in her eyes.

John frowned and grabbed Lili. "Lili what's wrong? Come one my apology hasn't made you cry has it?" He asked.

Lili didn't answer him. "I need to talk to Tommy". She said as she watched him walking towards him.

Father John Hughes.

Lili made her way up to Tommy. "Tommy I need to talk to you". She said.

"Not now Lili, I'm busy". He said.

She grabbed his arm. "No please Tommy. It's important". She cried.

"Look. It will take me five minutes okay. After them five minutes we can talk". He said.

She watched as he walked up to Hughes.

She turned around and bumped straight into John's arms.

"Want to tell me what the fuck that was about?" He asked.

She looked up at him and smiled. "Nothing. I'm okay". She said smiling. She hooked arms with him and walked back to Arthur.

It was later on in the night. She turned her head to see Grace, Tommy and Tatiana talking. She knew it was bad with the look on Grace's face.

"Grace why don't we go dance". She said walking over to them.

"Nice to meet you again Miss Thorne". Tatiana said.

"Yeah, yeah what ever". Lili said.

"Gracie let's dance yeah". She said as she dragged her away.

"Who is she?" Grace asked.

"Some bitch. Literally I can't stand her. From her fucking head band to her fucking annoying attitude". Lili answered.

The two girls looks at each other and laughed.

After a few minutes Tommy walked over. "Grace I need to speak to you.". Lili smiled and walked away. She pulled John up and stared to dance with him.

"You look so beautiful tonight. Why are you wearing this? I don't care about your scars, I think they make you look beautiful". He said.

She smiled sadly and rested her head on his chest. "I...I guess I'm not ready yet Johnny". She whispered.

He wrapped his arms around her and sighed. "I love you Lili. And those scars, there just scars. Everyone has scars, some visible some hidden". He said.

She smiled sadly as she looked up at him.

She gently pecked his lips and smiled.

They turned there head and frowned when they saw a man running towards the the family.

"For Angel". He shouted.

Lili screamed as a gunshot went off. John let go of her as he rushed over to Arthur. The two men had beaten the man to death.

Lili gasped and rushed over to Grace and Tommy. She fell to her knees and cried as she looked at Grace's blood soaked dress.

All the sounds around her where blurred as she watched her friend die.

Polly knelt beside her, an arm wrapped around her.

The two women both weeped for the fallen Grace Shelby.