Seventy Seven

The four months that she had stayed with John were the best and worst in Lili's life.

The best was because she got to spend time with John, the two of them growing closer and closer by the day. She also got to spend time with John's children, whom she adored.

The worst reason about living with John, was because of Esme. The once friends had turned into enemies. They couldn't stand each other. Lili knew it was because Esme hated how close Lili and John where. Lili would be angry too if her husband acted the way he did with his best friend. But that was all they were. Lili and John were best friends.

Yes there where times she could feel her feelings coming through for him again, but she knew she would never cross that line. She may not like Esme, but she would never sleep with a married man. Her heart was occupied on a other man at that moment, and it was Alfie. She was madly in love with him and it scared her.

John was the only one who made her feel love and then Alfie came along. He showed his love in a different way. Whilst John was open with his feelings, Alfie was closed off. There would be that rare time where he would show affection, and Lili would store that feeling inside of her so she could feel love.

Growing up was hard for Lili. John and Freddie where the only one's who really understood her. Yes, she was best friends with Ada originally, and she would still say there where. But it was John and Freddie, who truly believed and understood her.

Lili was getting ready to leave. She was going back to Birmingham to visit Freddie's grave and was going to see Polly and Michael. She wanted to help the woman who was like a mother to her.

John was lying on Lili's bed as she packed away some clothes.

"Come lie down for a bit". He muttered, his arm outstretched. Lili smiled and grabbed his hand, crawling onto the bed beside him. She wrapped her arm around his waist and rested her head on his chest. John smiled and wrapped his arms around her.

"I miss this". He muttered.

Lili smiled sadly. "Same". She whispered. She played with one of his buttons as she listened to his heartbeat.

"It's mad....we've known each other for so long, and sometimes it only feels like yesterday that we met". Lili muttered.

John smiled and nodded his head. "I still remember the first day I met you. You where four and I was six. You had this mischievous look in your eye, and I knew we're going to be the best of friends. I was over the moon when you moved in with us. I know I never showed it Lili, but I did like Freddie. You were my favourite Throne though". He said.

Lili smiled and looked up at him. "Remember the bakery and you saved me from dying?" She asked.

John sighed and let out a small laugh. "I remember that. Or the time you gave me the scar on my chin". He responded.

Lili let out a small laugh as she nodded her head. She sighed and looked up at John. "I miss those days, when we were young and we were so carefree". She whispered.

John smiled sadly and nodded his head. "Same. You know....if I could go back in time, I would of married you properly all those years ago". He muttered.

Lili smiled sadly and looked up at him. "Same". She whispered, tears in her eyes.

John looked down at her and licked his bottom lip. "I don't know how many times I have to tell you Lili Thorne, but you truly are the love of my life. You where my first love and will be till the day I die". He said.

Lili shut her eyes, tears falling down her cheeks. "You'll always be my first love and last Johnny". She whispered. She opened her eyes and smiled sadly up at him.

"I wish things where different. I sometimes imagine what life would be like if we weren't in the business that we we're in now". She said.

John nodded his head and held her closer. "Same. We probably would have got married and killed each other by now". He joked.

Lili burst out laughing and nodded her head, agreeing with him.

She loved moments like this with John. These moments were something she was going to treasure forever.