Twenty Four

Lil woke up at four am. She had a wash in the bathroom. Had her breakfast, brushed her teeth and her hair. She sat down at her dresser and looked in the mirror. She pulled her hair back tightly and started to pin it into a tight bun. She stood up and walked over to where her clothes where lying.

She slipped off her nightdress and sighed. She pulled on her knickers and then her tights. She attached the hook to the suspender belt and let out a loud yawn. She clipped up her bra and slipped on a white, silky slip. She buttoned up her white blouse and slipped on her dark blue skirt. She tucked her blouse into her skirt and sat down. She slipped on her small, heeled boots and tied the laces.

She stood up and sprayed some perfume. She didn't bother appyling makeup, she was far too tired. She looked out the window and sighed. It wasn't foggy like Birmingham, the air was different here.

She pulled on her black coat and grabbed her bag. She smiled at Delilah as she walked down the stairs. "What time will you be home at pet?" She asked.

Lili smiled. "What ever time Mr Solomons allows me too. All I know is I have to start at five". She answered.

"Solomons? Your working with Alfie Solomons?" Her face had turned pale.

"Yeah. Why do you know him?" Lili asked.

She nodded her head. "Everyone and I mean everyone knows Alfie Solomons. Oh dear, just promise me if he gets angry, don't make him worse. He's...he's known for his temper and his violence". She said.

Lili smiled and nodded her head. "Yeah of course. Well I better be off". She said as she walked out of the house. She made her way up to the bakery, her eyes on the men that where walking. They all looked exhausted, some had cigarettes some didn't. These men where all making there way to the bakery.

Lili walked to the doors, ignoring the looks from the men.

"Hello Ollie, miss me?" She asked.

He sighed and rolled his eyes. "Get in". He said. She smirked and walked inside. She looked around at all the barrels. Her eyes landing on men as they walked past her. Some looked at her with confusion, others with lust. She rolled her eyes and watched as Ollie shut the door.

"Arms up". He said. She rolled her eyes and lifted her arms. Ollie tapped her body, looking for any weapons. "No knives today?" He asked smirking. She rolled her eyes and followed him to Alfie's office. The smell of rum hit Lili's nostrils. It was a rum distillery. Lili knew this the moment she walked through the doors the first time.

They used the bakery as an cover. She knew what made Alfie money. He got his money from the racetrack rackets, jeweling business, protection rackets and bootlegging his rum.

They stood outside his office door. Ollie cleared his throat and knocked on the door. "Come in". Alfie barked. They walked in to the office to see Alfie sitting down. His feet where on his desk as he held the paper in his hands. He was wearing his gold glasses. "Miss Thorne is here". Ollie said.

Alife hummed and pointed for her to take a seat. She walked over and sat down. Her eyes on Ollie as he walked out, closing the door.

She jumped as Alfie threw the paper onto the desk. He put his feet on the floor and rested his elbows on the table as he took of his glasses. They where conected to a chain around his neck as he let it drop. His eyes where on Lili. He held no emotion as he looked at her.

"Right, so Shelby sent you up here again?" He asked.

Lili nodded her head. "He did indeed". She answered.

Alfie nodded and sat back in his seat. "Let me guess, before he sends his little gypsies up here to work for me he sent you up here incase I back out of the deal?" He asked.