Fourty Five

The loud banging on Lili's door was what woke her up. She groaned and rolled over in her bed. She was trying to recover from the night before. She slipped on her dressing gown and walked down the stairs.

"Yes hold on". She shouted as the banging continued.

She opened the door to be faced with John.

"Good morning to you too sweetheart". John said with a wide grin.

She glared up at him and shut her eyes for a moment, taking deep breaths.

"What?" She snapped.

John's smirk widened. "Get dressed we need you down at Charlie's". He said. She let out a loud sigh as she nodded. She left the front door open as she rushed up the stairs. She had a quick wash and brushed her teeth.

She made her way into her room and pulled off her night clothes. She pulled on a light blue dress with white and yellow flowers and slipped on some shoes. She brushed her hair and ran back down the stairs. She grabbed her coat and slammed the door.

"Someone is still definitely not a morning person". John said with a smirk on his face. She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "I'm tired and most likely still drunk". She muttered.

He threw his arm around her and smirked widely.

They made there way to Charlie's yard. She smiled softly at Finn and Isiah as they stood outside the entrance.

"Why the fuck have you dragged me out of bed for this?" She asked as she climbed over horse manoeuvre.

"Because the Italians want to meet us and to be honest Arthur has been in a weird mood since Tommy's wedding and I need to have someone by my side". He said.

She rolled her eyes and sat down. "You alright Artie?" She asked.

He nodded his head not answering.

Lili sighed and watched as Finn and Isiah walked over with three men.

She didn't bother standing like Arthur did. Instead she pulled out her cigarette case and pulled out a cigarette. She placed it between her lips and flicked her lighter. Her eyes never leaving the men as they sat down.

"You asked for a meeting out in the open. Fresh air and the fine aroma of shit. "Neutral ground," you said". Arthur muttered as he sat down.

"This is hardly neutral ground". Vincente Changretta muttered.

"Well, it's what you've got. This is the most neutral ground in all of Small Heath. So, por favivo (please), sit down". Lili said. She inhaled her smoke and raised her eyebrow as one of the men glared at her.

"Where is Thomas?" He asked as he sat down.

"He got called away". John answered.

"He said he'd be here". He said.

"Yeah, he's busy". Arthur muttered.

"I just told you he got called away. What do you want?". John asked. Lili tipped her head back and barked out a loud laugh.

"There has been a peace between the Peaky Blinders and the Changretta family for two years now". Changretta answered, ignoring Lili.

"Do you want some tea or not? Here, Finn, pour the Italians some English tea. Go on". John said as he cut Changretta off.

Lili smirked and looked up at the Italians.

"We don't want fucking tea! We want an explanation". Changretta shouted.

"Well, I'll have fucking tea". Arthur muttered as he made him self tea. Lili smirked and drank some of her drink from her hip flask.

"What's wrong with English tea? Do you not like it?" She asked.

Vincente glared at her and turned to look at John.

"Explanation for what?" John asked.

"The Little Venice restaurant in Forge Street was burnt down". He answered.

"No, no, couldn't have been us. We was at a wedding". John said as he scratched his ear. Lili flicked the ash from her cigarette and nodded. "Yeah we we're all at a wedding. You see unlike you, we don't do business on wedding days. There very sacred to us". She said smirking.

"You burnt it down to stop my son being at that same wedding". Changretta said slowly.

"Yeah, he wasn't missed". Arthur muttered, making Lili and John laugh.

"You are such big boys now. Where once you borrowed clothes from us to look like men". He said.

Lili raised her eyebrow at the insult.

"How's the tea, Arthur?". John asked.

Arthur spat it out and tipped the rest on the floor. "It's cold". He answered.

"Please tell Tommy that we pay him whatever he asks us to pay. We stay out of the city and off the tracks. But you tell him from me that my son will walk with any woman in this city. Any woman he chooses. Even if that woman works for the Emperor, Thomas Shelby. My son is in love". He said.

Arthur, Lili and John all burst out laughing.

"Sorry". Lili said raising her hands in defence.

"Do excuse me. Carry on". John said.

"And if he wishes, he will walk with the woman he loves". Changretta muttered.

"Y'know It'd be hard for your son to walk anywhere with a bullet in each knee, wouldn't it?" John asked.

Lili let out a loud laugh and nodded her head. "I mean we borrowed clothing for you, I'm sure we could give him a wheelbarrow to be pushed down the road with". Lili said. John and Lili both looked at each other as they burst out laughing.

"Too much. You said too much, my friends, Sabini says, "Suck and swallow". But no. Too much. I spit". He said. He spat down on the ground, his eyes thunderous.

"Dovremmo ucciderli tutti ora (We should kill them all now)". One of Changretta's men muttered.

Lili raised her eyebrow and leaned forwards.

"Temo che non sarebbe signori molto sensibili. Vedi che ci farai, inizierai una guerra tra la famiglia Changretta e Peaky Blinders. (I'm afraid that wouldn't be very sensible gentlemen. You see you kill us, you will start a war between the Changretta family and the Peaky Blinders)". Lili said. She smiled and sat back.

"You know Italian?" Vincente asked.

"I do. I had an Italian patient for three years whilst I was a nurse during the war. Everyday he taught me Italian. I even learn it at home. So I'd be wise what you say around me". She answered.

He spat on the ground again and nodded for his men to follow.

They all raised there eyebrows as one of his men smashed a chair to pieces.

"Oh, fucking hell. He's a bit strong". John muttered.

"Fucking hell". Lili whispered as she watched him storm away.

"Isiah. Put two extra men on our pubs in Nechells". Arthur muttered.

He got up and started to walk away.

"What you talking about, Arthur? We're not scared of fucking eyeties any more". John shouted.

Arthur turned around and pointed at John. "Don't tell Tommy about the chair and clean this fucking shit up". He shouted.

Lili watched as Curly came over picking up the broken chair pieces.

"We're not scared of fucking wops!" John shouted.

"It's all right Johnny". Lili said as she placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Arthur". John shouted.

Lili let out a sigh and knocked back some of her drink.