Eighty Six

Lili walked into the room where Michael and Tommy where sat. It was going to be her first time seeing Michael since the shooting. her emotions were all over the place. She shut the door and limped towards the table, her eyes finally landing on Michael.

A tear slipped down her cheek as she looked at him. "I'd hug you but I can't bend down that well". She whispered. He smiled up at her and grabbed her hand. Tommy came behind her and helped her down into her seat. "Thanks". She whispered, looking up at him.

"How are you feeling?" She asked Michael. The smile on his face never matched his eyes, but that was the same with Lili. "I'm....I'm better". He answered. He opened his mouth to speak, to ask her how she was. Everyone knew how close she was to John, even people who didn't know the family that well remembered the times they would be with each other back in Watery Lane.

They all turned their heads as Polly, Ada and Lizzie walked in. Michael closed his mouth, making sure to check up on Lili later.

"Sorry, I'm late". Polly muttered, as she pulled of her coat. All the women sat down in their seats, Ada sitting beside Lili. She grabbed her hand and gave it a small squeeze, showing she was going to be there for her best friend.

"Where's Arthur?" Tommy asked, as he stood up.

"Do I look like his fucking mother?" Polly snapped.

Tommy nodded and started to sort out some paperwork. "Right. Before we start this extraordinary general meeting of the board of the Shelby Company Limited, I'd like to note the absence of the deputy vice President who has not yet arrived. We will continue without his presence". Tommy stated.

He cleared his throat and looked down at his papers. "Item number one. The reinstatement of the Shelby Company Limited company Treasurer. The board welcomes back the former treasurer, with generously improved terms and conditions. Due to the exceptionally difficult circumstances the company now finds itself in". Tommy muttered.

Lili looked down at her hands, her eyes watering with tears.

"The proposed treasurer will now check the terms and conditions to see if they are in order". He said as he handed over the sheet to Polly.

"Item number two. During the absence of the company's accountant, due to ill health, all responsibility for the keeping of company accounts pass to the head of acquisitions". Tommy explained.

He cleared his throat again. "Because our bookie was brutally murdered, I'd like Lili, to take over John's role. You will seal the book both legal and off-track, and you will become a third shared owner to Shelby Company Limited. Does anyone have anything to say about that?" He asked.

Everyone shook their heads, they believed Lili deserved to be a shared owner with everything she had done in the past for the family. Lili looked up at Tommy and gave him a small smile.

"Item number three. The company treasurer, having read the terms and conditions, lodges a signed contract of employment agreeing to the terms and conditions with the temporary head of accounts. All those in favour of the reinstatement of Mrs Elizabeth Gray, to the position of Shelby Company Limited, company Treasurer, please raise your hands". He muttered.

"My goodness, thank you". Polly muttered. Lili looked away from her and looked back up at Tommy.

"Any other business?" Tommy asked. When everyone shook their heads, he nodded collecting the papers again.

"Right, I declare this extraordinary general meeting over. Now we can talk about the real business. But for that, we need Arthur, where the fuck is Arthur?" He asked.

The hour passed slowly, Lili had her eyes shut, a terrible migraine coming over her. A nurse had come in to tell them they weren't allowed to smoke, which Polly replied with. "Yes love, we know". She shut the door on her and turned to look at everyone else.

"All right, he's an hour late. Fuck him. This business directly affects Arthur, but he's not here, so we'll take a vote without him". Tommy muttered.

"What business?" Ada asked.

"Offical business that wasn't on you agenda Ada". Polly answered.

"An informant told us that six years ago, Luca Changretta came from New York to Birmingham to be the best man at his cousin's wedding". Tom said, as he handed everyone a picture.

"That's the man from yesterday Tommy. That's definitely him". Lili whispered.

Tommy licked his bottom lip and nodded his head. "He's already visited, Lili. You all know what he looks like. Now, half the men in the photo belong to Changretta, which means the chances are they are the men who came to kill us. We need to get both these photographs into the pubs and on the street corners. Then put it about that there's a reward for information". Tommy said.

"We also propose that we give a copy of this photograph to Mr Aberama Gold". Polly muttered.

"We need to forget that idea that it had to be Arthur that pulls the trigger. Tradition will just fuck it up". Tommy stated.

"We should wait for Arthur". Ada said as she threw the picture onto the table.

"Arthur's not here Ada". Polly said as she sat back down.

"We need Luca Changretta dead. That's it". Tommy muttered.

Lili raised her eyebrows as Michael called Polly, "Poll", instead of mom.

"Right, let's take a vote. I'll deal with Arthur. All those in favour of giving the photographs to Mr Gold, raise your hand". Tommy said.

Lili winced as she raised her hand, followed by everyone else. "Then it will be done". Tommy muttered.

Lili looked down at her hands as Tommy explained to Polly that Michael's adoptive mother came to visit him. She rose to her feet, holding onto the table for support.

"I need to say something before you all go". She said.

They all turned around to look at her. Polly stopped shouting at Michael and Tommy and looked at the girl she classed as a daughter. Lili cleared her throat. "I'm discharging myself, I'm coming back to Small Heath. I'm coming back to work". She stated.