Sixty Two

Lili had been at Delilah's house for six days. She hadn't left the house, opting to stay in doors instead. She helped around the house as much as she could. She would make dinners for Delilah when she was out, so it was ready for when she came in.

She would lie to her saying she had already eaten. The fact was, she wasn't hungry. She cleaned, did the washing, sowed. Anything to keep her mind of things.

She pushed the thought of being with Alfie out of her head. Even if Tommy and the other Shelby's gave her their blessings she couldn't. She did hate him right? All these thoughts where running through her head as she thought about him.

She let out a loud sigh and shook her head. It was a lie, every single word she said that day to him was a lie.

She didn't hate Alife Solomon's, she was madly in love with him.

It was the morning of her seventh day with Delilah. Lili looked down at the bowel of porridge in front of her. She knew she had to eat, especially with Delilah's hopeful face.

"My hip's playing up today, do you think it's okay if you go down to the market and get the weekly shopping if I write a list. It just means I don't have to do it tomorrow and its out of the way?" Delilah asked.

Lili nodded her head and watched as the womans scribbled down some items. "Let me grab my purse". She said standing up. Lili shook her head as she grabbed her own bag. "It's okay, I'll buy them. I'm a guest in your house". Lili said as she gently squeezed the ladies hand. She smiled at her and walked out of the house. Her heart beating. It felt strange, to walk down the road she used to take to get to work when she was with Alfie at his bakery.

Talking about the bakery, she had to pass it to get to the market. A part of her wanted her to bump into Alfie, another part of her didn't.

She walked around, the list tight in her hand. The wind was manic, as her hair flew around the place. She smiled softly at the man as he handed her over the back, his eyes landing on her neck. The rope burn was still there. It had now turned into a scar, something she would have to live with for the rest of her life. Because the rope had cut through her skin, she would look at that scar and be reminded of that awful day.

She wrapped her scarf around her neck and stormed off. She moved from shop to shop, market from market, collecting Delilah's things.

She unlocked the door to the house and stepped inside, kicking the door shut behind her. She packed away the shopping and sighed, moving over to the cooker. She turned on the heat and put a pan on, the water boiling. She looked down and let out a small sigh.

Delilah had went out to go to church, after church she had tea and scones with the women from the parish, talking about the service, and gossiping.

She let out a sigh and made herself a tea. Her eyes fluttering to the phone as it started to ring. She picked up the phone. "Hello". She said softly.

She smiled softly as John's voice on the other line. "Ello love". He muttered.

"Johnny". She sighed. She sat down and placed her tea on the table.

"I've missed you. Are you okay? How's London treating you?" He asked.

She smiled sadly. "I miss you too. It's good, Delilah is wonderful. How are you?" She asked.

"That's good. I'm good, we moved into our house, it's in the countryside. I think it will do us some good. I get to clear my mind, be free for a while. It's good for Esme too, and the kids. They have plenty of room to run around, so they won't be under our feet". He muttered.

Lili smiled and grabbed her tea. She sat back and took a small sip.

"You should visit us, let the country air clear your mind. It will help. I'm trying to get Arthur up here, but Linda ain't letting him out her sight". He muttered.

Lili smiled and rolled her eyes. "Of course she isn't. She's probably bible bashing him to death. Any word on Michael and Polly. I tried calling the house but the house maid answered saying Polly was doing a reading for someone or something". She asked.

Even though it had been a week, the family where still greatfully affected by their near death experience.

"I'm not sure. I haven't spoken to them. Esme tired calling this morning but Polly told her she was busy. They know we're here if we need to talk to them anyway". He said.

She nodded her head and took another sip from her tea. She had given the number to the family. She was meaning to call them all but she found herself chickening out.

"How's Finn?" She asked.

"I'm not sure. We think he's living with Tommy, we just haven't called him yet. I....I don't think I'm entirely ready to talk to Tommy yet". He answered.

Lili nodded agreeing with John. "Same...I..I still love him, I always will. But at this moment, I think what we need is the space". She said.

They talked a bit more, fully catching up. She placed the phone back down when she was finished, promising to call him next Sunday. She was going to call Arthur on the Thursday, like planned.

She finished her drink and let out a loud sigh.

She really needed a drink.