Thirty Six

It was weird for Lili being back in London. She was with John. Tommy was off doing his own business, he was currently staying with Ada.

John and Lili where both on there way to see Arthur in jail.

They walked into the prison court. A officer walking up to them.

"Arms up". He said to John.

John turned his head and gave Lili a small wink. She smiled up at him watched as the officer snatched his cap from his head. "What's this then eh?" He asked.

He turned and looked Lili up and down. "What do we have ere then?" He asked.

He patted her body down, his hand trailing up her skirt. She shook her head at John, assuring him she was fine.

When he was done searching her he backed away.

Lili turned her head to see a disheveled Arthur. "Get your fucking hands off me". He muttered to the two officers.

"Here he is. The King of London Town". John said, his arms out wide as Arthur walked towards them.

"You been enjoying yourself?" John asked.

"Oh, yes, fucking great. Surrounded by Sabini's men. Rats everywhere. Fucking cockneys". Arthur answered. He turned and looked at Lili. "He....he didn't fucking touch you or do anything to you when I was arrested did he?" He asked.

She shook her head. "No Arthur. I'm so sorry I couldn't help you. I feel so guilty". She answered.

"Don't be love, it's not your fault". He muttered.

John licked his bottom lip and looked at Arthur. "Well, at least you're going to get what you've always wanted". He muttered.

"And what's that?" Arthur asked as he turned his head to look at his brother.

"You've tried to hang yourself twice. Now the King's going to do it for you". John answered. Lili shook her head and sighed.

"I've been a fucking idiot". He muttered.

"Yeah". John said nodding his head.

"I haven't appreciated nothing, John". He muttered as he paced.

"Are you fucking repenting or something?" John asked, a frown on his face.

"Drawing. I used to be good at drawing". Arthur muttered, ignoring John completely.

Arthur, please. For God's sake. I don't need this". John snapped.

"I should have listened more in class". Arthur said. Lili sighed and looked at him with sympathy.

"What fucking class? You were never there". John shouted. Lili shook her head at him, trying to calm him down.

"I used to draw horses. Stallions. Great big ones. They looked real". Arthur muttered.

"Arthur". John snapped.

"Not stallions, not now. I should have done more with my life, John. Good things". He muttered.

"Arthur, for God's sake". John shouted.

"Even Ada said it wasn't my fault". Arthur cried.

"Arthur, will you listen?" John asked.

"They are going to hang me, John". Arthur muttered.

"They're not going to hang you". John shouted.

"Says who?" He asked. He was standing in front of them again.

"Tommy". Lili answered softly.

"And how is Houdini going to get me out of this?" He asked.

"Well". John started to speak but he was interrupted by Arthur. "Don't tell me. He's got a plan. But you don't know what that plan is, do you, John? Because we just, we can't be trusted. All right. If he's so fucking clever, why am I in here? Why is all our men and half our whisky being lifted? Hmm? The Jew and the cockney have run rings round him". He shook his head.

"Will you shut up?" John shouted.

"Look at you. Look. A big fucking man". Arthur shouted back getting into John's face.

Lili let out a sigh and pushed the two brother apart.

"Fucking shut up! He's already told me what I've got to do". John muttered.

After he told Arthur, Tommy's plan he was brought back to his cell.

"Right let's get this over and done with". He said as they got into the car with Johnny Dogs.

He parked up the road and nodded at them. "Good luck". Lili said smiling as she got out of the car.

"Luck? I am the lucky charm here love". He said smiling as she drove up the road. They watched as the man guarding the door to the house they needed to get to marched over to Johnny.

Lili slipped the envelope into the post slot, John was keeping watch.

They held hands as they power walked away. Lili smiled widely as the house exploded. Lili turned her head to look at John and lay a kiss on his cheek as they ran off.

It was just like old times. Something she missed.