Fifty Six

Lili drove Tommy and Michael to where they where meeting Alfie Solomons. She couldn't wait to see him again. After everything that had happened the day before, she needed to see someone who made her forget.

She stood beside Tommy as Michael stayed hidden.

They watched as a car pulled up.

Alfie and his bodyguard/ driver got out.

"Bloody hell". Alfie moaned as he walked towards them. His eyes finding Lili's.

"I asked you to come alone and unarmed". Tommy muttered.

"Yeah, well, alone I ain't never going to do, am I? As for the cane, don't worry about it. That's just me sciatica. It always plays up around the winter and the summer solstice". Alfie said.

Lili smiled softly at him.

"What have you got for me, Alfie?" Tommy asked.

"What you bring me out here for?" Alfie asked.

Tommy let out a sigh. "It's on the way to somewhere I need to be in a hurry. What have you got for me?" He asked again.

Alfie pulled out some sheets of paper.

"Well, seeing as you was prepared to pay such an exorbitant amount for this information, I decided to give you value for money. So, here are the names of all the men in England whom I would approach, right, if I had a Faberge egg for sale. Here you go". He said as he handed him one sheet.

"And then, here is all the men on that list, you know, who would buy the old Faberge egg even if they knew that that item was stolen". He muttered as he handed Tommy over another sheet.

"Yeah? Then came your curious fucking gyppo question. I won't ask, but, um Here's a list of the men who would buy a Faberge because of their wives' obsession". He said as he handed the third sheet of paper.

He looked down as Tommy pulled out a wad of cash. "Oh, yes. Thank you, Mr Shelby. Lovely doing business with you". He said as he placed it in his pocket.

Tommy turned his back as he looked at the list. Lili smiled at Alfie. She could feel the butterflies in her stomach. He smiled back at her.

She frowned when Tommy pulled out a gun and pointed it at Alfie.

Alfie's worker pulled out his gun, pointing it at Tommy.

"You left a name off the list, Alfie." Tommy muttered.

"Did I?" Alfie asked.

"Yeah. I've already spoken to my people in the jewellery quarter, experienced dealers. They tell me there are only three men in Britain whose wives are obsessed with Faberge makes them good customers. But you missed the richest one off the list". Tommy answered.

"Yeah, well If you knew already, how come you dragged me - all the way out in the fucking oggin, mate?" Alfie asked.

Lili frowned and looked between the two men.

"Two reasons. Reason one. By with holding a name that you most certainly know you have proven to me that you have done a deal with the Odd Fellows. It was you who told them about the tunnel. You who told them about the fucking deal with the Soviets.
Reason two. The name of the man you're withholding must be my enemy otherwise you wouldn't be protecting him. He's now a man I can use". Tommy muttered.

Lili looked at Alfie with a frown. Her eyes full of hurt.

"Listen, sweetie, you can't take a man". Alfie started to speak but he was interrupted by Tommy. "You gave information in exchange for a share". He muttered.