Twenty Seven

Lili was sitting in Alfie's office, a man named Simon sat with her. Alfie was having a meeting with someone important, so Ollie had to be with him. Lili let out a small sigh as she turned the page in her book.

She was bored and she missed Alfie. She grabbed her glass of water and took a small sip.

She turned her head as the door was forced open. Alfie stormed in, leaving the door open. "Fuck off". He muttered to Simon as he clicked his fingers at him. Simon nodded and rushed out of the room. Lili frowned and watched as Alfie sat down. He took of his hat and ran a hand through his hair.

Lili stood up and walked over to him. She placed her hand on his shoulder. "Are you okay?" She asked.

He nodded his and sat down in his seat. He looked up at her and sighed. She had her hair down from the bun she had in the morning. A few of her buttons where undone from her blouse. The small scar on her collarbone was pigmented, standing out boldly. Her eyes where full of concern. She was wearing no makeup, her bruise healing quick.

"I'm fine Lili. Why don't you read some of your book to me. I need a fucking distraction". He muttered as he rubbed his face. Lili nodded and grabbed her book. She sat down on the arm of Alfie's chair.

She cleared her throat and licked her lip. "The day was rainy like its predecessor; but towards evening it began to clear up a little, and the next morning was fair and promising. I was out on the hill with the reapers. A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine. The lark was rejoicing among the silvery floating clouds".

Alfie grabbed a strand of Lili's hair as she spoke, he started to spin a strand around his finger as he thought about the meeting he had with Sabini and how he had insulted him.

He looked up at Lili as she turned a page.

"While I stood with folded arms abstractedly gazing on the undulating swell of the corn. not yet disturbed by the reapers, something gently pulled my skirts, and a small voice, no longer welcome to my ears, aroused me with the startling words - 'Mr Markham, mamma wants you".

"Wants me, Arthur?"

"Yes. Why do you look so queer?" said he, half laughing, half frightened at the unexpected aspect of my face in suddenly turning towards him, -'and why have you kept so long away? Come! Won't you come?"

"I'm busy right now". I replied, scarce knowing what to answer. He looked up in childish bewilderment, but before I could speak again the lady herself was at my side.

"Gilbert, I must speak to you!" said she, in a tone of suppresses vehemence".

Lili laughed as Alfie muttered. "Your future husband". She turned to look at him and closed her book. She placed her hand on his cheek, his beard tickling her hand.

"What happened Alfie?" She asked. He sighed and continued to play with her hair. "Just someone fucking wanker insulted me thats all". He answered.

She frowned and gently played with his hair. She combed her fingers through his soft hair. "Fuck them. There obviously jealous of you". She whispered. Alfie looked up at her and nodded. "Yeah". He muttered.

"How did Simon treat you?" He asked. She smiled and nodded her head. "Yeah he was nice. Didn't speak much". She answered.

He nodded his head. "Good". He muttered.

Lili rolled her eyes at him and leaned over grabbing her water. Alfie sighed and ran a hand over his beard.

"Your book is boring". He muttered. Lili laughed and shook her head. She placed her glass down and turned to him. "It's not trust me. It's actually a beautiful story". She said.

He rolled his eyes and let out a sigh. "I know what will make you feel a bit better". She said. She stood up and stood behind him. She lay her small hands on his broad shoulders and gently started to massage him. "Your really tense". She whispered and she massaged a deep knot. Alfie shut his eyes, enjoying the feeling of her hands on his shoulders. He felt peaceful when he was around Lili, all his problems felt like they where shut in a seperate part of his head.

His eyes snapped open when the phone went. He grabbed the phone. "What?" He snapped. Lili smiled and continued to massge his shoulders. She frowned when he handed the phone over to her. "Hello". She said softly. She gently massaged Alfie's scalp.

"Hey Lili, it's Tommy". He muttered.

"Hi Tommy".

"Just to let you know, I'm just back from Charlie's now, we've sent three boat loads of men down to you. They'll be there on thursday". He explained.

"Thurday okay thats perfect". She said.

"I'll be up later on the day to talk to everyone". He muttered. She could hear the sound of his lighter clicking.

"Okay Tom, I'll see you thursday". She said softly.

After a goodbye she put the phone down.

"So the king of the gypsies will be here Thursday, great". He muttered.

Lili smiled and tugged at his ear. "Alfie". She whispered in his ear. He turned his head to look at her, there faces inches away from each other. Lili didn't know why but she really wanted to kiss him.

He licked his lip and looked away. "Right you be a good girl and sit down, because some of us have work that needs to be done, because someone wouldn't shut up talking to me yesterday". He muttered.

She let out a laugh as she grabbed her book and glass of water. "That was you Alfie". She said as she sat down.

"Keep telling yourself that sweetheart". He muttered.

She rolled her eyes and smiled as she opened her book.