41

"Urgh..." Hyun Ae grunted, sitting up as she smelled something familiar.

She opened her eyes and winced as the blinding white lights came in, and there were Henry and Hyun Wook standing by her bed.

"Ah, why am I at the hospital again?" she sighed, plopping herself back onto her bed.

"Noona!" Hyun Wook called out, shaking her as he forced her to sit up again.

"Ah, come on, Hyun Wook. I'm fine."

"You had fatigue. From work. Please get some rest-"

"No, I am fine. Totally fine!" she convinced him.

"No, you've been working too hard. You need a break."

"No, I've had my breaks before, a lot of breaks. I always play around back then, but now I won't," Hyun Ae huffed, leaning against the pillow again. "Go get the doctor, will you?"

Shaking his head, Hyun Wook began to look for the doctor in charge, leaving both Hyun Ae and Henry alone.

"Did you tell him about earlier?" Hyun Ae suddenly asked him.

"N-No," Henry shook his head.

"Good. It's better if he doesn't know it. It wouldn't be good, for him..." Hyun Ae paused, and swung her legs over one side of the bed. "I mean, you know that kid. If I'm hurt, he will make sure they pay for it. And I don't want that."

"Hyun Ae, I... I'm sorry. If only I come faster-"

"It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself, please," Hyun Ae smiled, grabbing his hand in hers, then kissing it. "Thank you for being there for me."

From afar, a doctor was approaching her with a nurse and Hyun Wook at his side.

"Ah, Miss Park. If you would let me do one last quick check on you, you can go," the doctor said, putting on his stethoscope.

*

"Hey. Let's go to my place after work," Hyun Ae suddenly spoke up as she walked out of her office, into the kitchen, where Henry and Yoon Hee were having their quick snack time.

"I want to talk a bit about our plan for this shop. I'm gonna need both of you too. Because you're my chef," she then gestured to Yoon Hee and smiled as she said, "and future manager."

Yoon Hee dropped her cookie on the prep table, stunned. "What? No, no," she began but Hyun Ae shushed her.

"Yes, yes. I need one now because I have other plans. After all, this phase is just the beginning. I have another crazy idea."

"Don't tell me that you're going to open another one."

"IF this is a success."

"Then if you fail, it's a fake hope for her to be a manager," Henry suddenly pointed out, sipping his coffee as he looked at Hyun Ae.

"No," Hyun Ae chuckled, placing her hands on Yoon Hee's shoulders as she continued. "You will still be a manager."

"Then you?" Yoon Hee whispered, with a concerned look on her face.

"We'll see," Hyun Ae nodded, clasping her hands together. "So, what's for dinner? Take-outs? Or cook?"

"I miss cooking with you. Like the old days," Henry suggested, giving her a smirk.

"Good idea. Okay. We'll get some ingredients later, so we'll stop by a mart, okay?"

***

"Hyun Ae ah..." Henry called out while pushing the shopping trolley.

"Hm?" Hyun Ae hummed, as she put down a bag of fresh tomatoes into the trolley.

"Are you... okay?"

"I'm fine, why are you asking?" she asked as she was picking out some fresh lettuce.

"Duh. You weren't okay earlier today," he stated, snatching the lettuce from her.

"I'm fine, totally fine," she sighed, facing him now.

"You're just... not you. Now."

"What do you mean? There's nothing different about me."

"No, there is. Talk to me. I'm your friend, right?"

Hyun Ae sighed. She looked around the market and saw Hyun Wook with Yoon Hee at the try-outs booth, having snacks.

"Henry, I was just... I'm trying to move on. I'm trying to change myself. I want to make this shop happen. Whatever I saw earlier today..." she halted, as she began to grab the trolley and pulled it as she continued looking at the veggie section. "Today is a sign for me to stop."

"But that doesn't mean that you have to stop being yourself!" Henry suddenly grabbed both of her arms. "This is not you. I know you."

Their eyes met as he continued. "Your heart's broken, again."

"Henry, this is not the time to talk about that-"

"I know," he whispered, looking back at Hyun Wook, still in the snack booths with Yoon Hee. "We'll talk about it at another time."

***

"Noona, you want hot chocolate?"

"Yes please," Hyun Ae uttered, entering her house after Henry and Yoon Hee went home.

She went straight to the kitchen and sat on one of the stools as Hyun Wook handed her a mug of hot chocolate.

"Are you okay?" he began, as Hyun Ae took a gulp of the warm drink. "I mean since I was there when 'the Seorim incident' happened. So what are you going to do?"

She put down the mug, letting her fingers linger at its handle as she went silent for a while. "I... don't know."

"Namjoon hyung met you at the park, right?"

"Hyun Wook..." she sighed, looking up from her drink to her brother. "Do you think that we shouldn't see them again?"

He put down his mug, with furrowed brows. "What do you mean? You're not giving up, are you?"

"Looking back to today, I think we should stop seeing them-"

"No, we would never do that. Think of Kookie, he'll be sad if you decide so," he assured her, letting out a dissatisfied sigh. "If you do this, that stupid girl might be amused."

"I'll give her what she wants then."

"That just shows how weak you are! That's not you. I know you're stronger than what other people thought."

Sighing, Hyun Wook walked toward her and gave her a hug. Hyun Ae hugged him back and the siblings stayed like that. "I will always be here for you. So please..." he whispered. "We shouldn't stop seeing them. They are our friends, remember?"

"You're right," Hyun Ae nodded, as she pulled away. "But under certain circumstances, I'll have to do so."

"What do you mean?"

"You'll see."

********************************************************

Please support me on Ko-fi https://ko-fi.com/nanamirai and get more snippets on the writing process of ongoing works!

Follow me on social media Instagram : itsme.nanamirai & Tiktok : itsmenanamirai

You can also find me on AO3 : itsme_NanaMirai & Quotev : itsmeNanaMirai

Last but not least, thank you for reading!

Borahae, Nana <3