Chapter 3: An Otherworldly Emergency

Momentarily, Hank returns.

"Hank, we need to go," I say, a new state of panic in my voice.

"Yeah. Sure," he responds. "Why? What's the hurry?"

I don't answer and already begin climbing into the taxi.

As we head onto the highway, I keep my eyes focused on the activity behind us.

They're following us.

Of course they are.

"Step on it," I say.

Hank raises an eyebrow but otherwise does as he's told.

We speed down the highway going 50 miles over the limit. I turn to check if they are behind us.

They're not.

I breathe a silent sigh of relief.

Just as I turn back around in my seat, I notice the van at my side.

They drive the same speed. I can see the driver. We lock eyes. Even through the window, I see his black eyes.

Pittacus Lore was right. Everything mentioned in the novels is correct. A layer of fear washes over me as I piece together what this means.

The Mogadorians are real. They found me.

Seconds pass although it seems like minutes.

They swerve and Hank loses control of the steering. I hear him swear under his breath as the car crashes off the road into a tree leading to thick forest.

It all happens so fast.

I scream a short scream.

Upon impact, Hanks airbag activates, and my head nearly collides into the driver's headrest. The windshield cracks and shatters and glass is sprayed all over the front seats.

I'm disoriented and struggle to collect myself.

When my hands finally linger on the buckle of my seatbelt, I click it out and get out of the car.

I'm unsteady on my feet, nearly collapsing once my shoes connect to the ground. My hearing is impaired. There are faint voices. Gruff and deep. Echoing and distancing. I suspect it's closer than it sounds.

Looking over my shoulder with a palm at the side of my head, I see it.

The white van. Parked at the edge of the highway.

The panic returning, I hurry to throw open the driver door.

"Hank. Hank, we need to go," I say, shaking the older man's shoulder with a desperate need to run.

Hank only groans loudly. There is blood running down his forehead. The force of the impact must've hit him worse than me, I realize.

The sound of heavy footsteps approaching heightens my panic. I don't want to leave Hank, but by the looks of it, he isn't able to go anywhere.

So, with the little time I have, I quickly grab my backpack from the backseat and run into the dense forest.

"I'm sorry Hank," I think in my own head.

I watch the mogs approach while I hide behind a tree, frantically pulling out my cell phone from the bag.

My hands trembling, I fumble to get a solid grasp over the power button.

Once in hand, I tap the button rapidly 5 times until the SOS Emergency Services option shows.

I swipe.

I never used this feature before; I hoped I wouldn't need to. Now it looks like I do. It's the fastest way to call the authorities.

"911. What is your emergency?" says an operating lady on the other end.

I freeze.

What could I possibly tell them? That I'm being chased by a group of hostile aliens who possibly plan on killing me? They'll never believe that.

I stare as the mogs peer into the taxi.

"Hello?" says the female voice again. "Are you still there? Are you in trouble?"

"I- I need an ambulance," I finally whisper into the phone's speaker, thinking of Hank.

"Paramedics are on route to your location," the lady says.

I hang up the phone.

Through the trees, I see the three aliens reach for Hank, who still lies limp in the driver's seat, barely conscious.

They grab him by his shirt and hold him in the air. He reacts to the pull on his shirt; nothing more. His head jerks uncontrollably back and forth. My eyes widen at the brutality.

"Where is the girl?" I hear the mog ask, whom holds Hank in a firm grasp.

Hank's head bounces back then forward loosely until he replies, "Hey. Easy man. I don't know."

It's clear Hank doesn't know who he's talking to.

"Don't do it," I murmur to myself.

Knowing what likely happens to people that the mogs find from Pittacus Lore's telling, they'll either kill Hank or take him into captivity.

I suddenly regret ever leaving his side. I should've never called for a taxi. It only meant putting some innocent stranger's life in jeopardy.

I rifle through my backpack. In my urgency to find John, I realize that I have not packed a knife or a weapon of any sort.

I curse under my breath.

Turning my attention to the scene ahead once more, I see the mog drop Hank to the ground where he grunts upon slouching against the cab.

The mog then turns to the others.

"Search the trees!" he demands. "Find her! She couldn't have gotten far."

That's enough of that. I pick up my backpack, sling it over my shoulder, and run.

I don't care where I run; I just run.