Chapter 6: Safety

My lion companion has been running for nearly an hour. Although it tries to push forward, I can feel it slowing down.

We lost our pursuers early after our departure and have been avoiding running alongside the highway – for fear that Mogadorians will find us again. So we've stuck to following some distance away. I can still hear the cars and trucks speeding past, but they can't see us through the trees.

It's getting late; 4:35 pm to be specific. It'll take a couple of hours to get to Paradise, Ohio.

"Keep your eyes out for a place to stay for tonight," I tell the lion. It purrs loudly in understanding.

The sun is beginning to set. Darkness very slowly fades in.

"Look! There!" I shout, pointing at an isolated 1-story building from afar.

The large bright directional sign reads: DAVE'S COUNTY MOTEL.

Below is the slogan, displayed in fancy neon green cursive. It says: Cheap. Affordable. The right place for all.

I get off the lion's back to lessen its weight.

"I don't know if animals are allowed in there," I say. "Can you like shape-"

I don't need to finish the thought before the Chimæra changes form again. Though this time, it doesn't change into a rabbit. It becomes a tiny cricket.

"I have to say; that will always be impressive to watch," I say with a smile as I pick up the Chimæra and place it gently in my shirt pocket.

I then proceed to approach the motel on foot.