Chapter 61: Interchanging

I am forced to watch the madness descend.

Hurt, beaten, powerless.

Fools.

We thought we could win. No; I thought we could win. I thought we were finally strong enough to end this war. I thought we were going to be heroes after today.

Looking at it now though, on his own accord, I see just how unprepared we are. We aren't heroes. We aren't saviors.

We're just kids.

Even Pixie and BK are no match for Setrákus Ra's strength. A superfast cheetah and a large griffin with the body of a lion and wings of an eagle.

We're nothing. Simply toys to be played with.

Setrákus Ra almost looks like he's having fun.

Slashing at Eight one minute. Then turning around to kick at Six the next. All while simultaneously using his telekinesis, to not only hold me to the ground, but bat our Chimærae away as well.

I wish I could look away, but I am glued to the sight.

With one arm paralyzed due to the effects of his whip and the other pinned to my midsection and my legs folded uncomfortably in front, there is nothing I can do. My legacies will not come. Telekinesis, Eneration, or telepathy.

My heart is pounding. My chest is heavy. My mind is spiraling. Dreading what happens next. I don't want to see five young Garde scream as Setrákus Ra kills another. I don't want to see any scars burn into the ones left alive.

My gaze shifts to them all. Swiftly from one of our allies to another. Eight. Then Six. Then Nine – even the strongest of them all appears weak against the so-called immortal. Then John. Then Marina. Then Sam – poor Sam; he has only just developed legacies. And now he won't have the opportunity to use them.

Then Ella. The youngest of them all. The only one who hasn't developed all her legacies. One of the few who still has her Cêpan. Backing into the far corner away from all the fighting and out the door to which we came.

Wait. What?

She just left? Where is she going? Does she think she can just escape a stronghold full of hostile aliens? We fought tons of mogs to get to this room, but we didn't fight them all. Is she going to sneak out? Does she have a plan of some sort?

But the worse part – or maybe the best – no one sees her. Not Setrákus Ra. Not Crayton. None of the Chimæra. No one but me; but what am I going to do? There is nothing I can do to protect her. I can't even stand up; bastard won't let me. I feel it. The weight pushing me down is too much.

The fighting continues for some long while.

"Flank him!" Six yells. "Surround him but keep your distance!"

They do.

From Six to Marina. Nine to Eight. John to Five. Sam to Crayton. Adelina to Adam. Henri.

All of them. They circle the monster. Ready.

Though even from this distance – of what must be at least 100 ft away – I see the cold Mogadorian Leader smile at me. A smirk scary enough that I feel it difficult to swallow blood. A smirk large enough that I can see a glimmer in his sharp white teeth at the verge of his mouth. I don't even know where the glimmer comes from in this dull space.

The eyes of my Enemy meet mine and I feel my body lift of its own accord, with none of my own control. The telekinetic pressure keeping me down rather holding me up.

I am forced into motion toward the Gardes' encirclement. I wish I had the option – and the strength – to do this on my own, but I do not. I know it is the outlandish Mogadorian in charge causing such a telekinetic feat.