Chapter 33: A Promise Worth Keeping

Alone in the room with Henri. Both of us hanging limp by our wrists.

We look to one another. Neither of us says anything for a long while, likely not knowing what to say or where to start.

Until I bow my head in shame. "I'm sorry Henri," I say.

"Don't apologize Emily," he replies rather quickly. "You did what you had to do. Six will be fine."

I stay silent, unwilling to believe it.

"Thank you, Emily," Henri says then. "Thank you for saving my life."

I only nod, grateful that he is still alive but still unsure of how I was able to do what I did at all.

"Henri. I'm scared," I tell him after a short silence.

"I know. But you will be alright," he says. There is such confidence in his voice despite the pain he has experienced. I don't know how he can believe that in a situation like this, but I am inclined to believe it too. There is a gleam of hope in his eyes that reassures me.

He continues, "I knew you were special the first day I saw you. When I saw you at the school in Paradise, I could tell there was more to you than we first thought. Although I couldn't tell what made you different at the time, I knew you'd help us in more ways than imaginable."

It takes me a moment to digest the compliment due to the sudden unexpected appearance of telekinesis occupying my mind.

"How could I have possibly used telekinesis? It makes no sense," I finally question.

"I don't know; but it doesn't matter. Whatever the reason is for you developing a Legacy, you must use it for good," he says.

"I will," I assure him.

Henri nods and smiles.

There are many thoughts roaming through my mind. From the development of telekinesis, which shouldn't be possible, to my worry about Six and Pixie, to the upcoming actions of Setrákus Ra.

"What is he going to do with me?" I wonder aloud.

"I don't know. Just, don't let him do anything to you. And don't give him any information," he reminds me.

I remain silent, thinking about his words. I feel guilt and regret return in that instant and I sense Henri watching intently. He knows I understand, though he also sees that I'm thinking about what I said to him.

"Emily. I need you to promise me something," Henri starts again.

"Anything," I reply.

"If anything happens to me, I need you to promise me that you'll keep John safe," he says. "That you'll keep them all safe. Promise me you won't let anything happen to them. We can't give them any more power over the others than they already have."

"I promise," I say after a moment of thought. "Nothing will happen to you though. Before I sought out to find you all, I promised myself that I would prevent the deaths that Pittacus warned me about. You, Eight, even all the wrong that happens to Five. I promised myself I'd keep you all alive. You are the last of your kind after all."

Henri nods and smiles.

It feels as though an hour passes, more or less.

Later, Setrákus Ra enters the room again, along with a few other Mogadorian soldiers. "Take the girl to the cell. I'll need her in a couple hours," he orders.

And so, the three Mogadorians approach me. I look to Henri, worried that it will be the last time I see him. He makes no gesture whatsoever; in fact, I see fear in his eyes. He's afraid for me.

One of the mogs release me from the shackles and I fall to the floor and rub my wrists, trying to bring some feeling back into my arms.

When another reaches over to grab me to take me away, I keep a distance, kicking back at him.

"Leave me alone!" I yell, determination growing inside me slowly. I know I probably don't stand a chance against them. Though right now, I just don't want to leave Henri.

Slowly, I get to my feet. My stomach hurts. Everything hurts. I grimace in pain as I stand up and get ready to fight them off.

"What are you doing?! I said take her!" Setrákus Ra commands from a distance.

In reaction, a couple of the mogs approach me. I dodge the first one and punch the second in the gut. Though the third one lunges at me before I can do anything further, grabbing me around the chest.

He holds me firmly; I can't move. Then he kicks me in the back of the knees. I cry out as I fall to the floor.

As soon as I'm down on all fours, he kicks me in the side and I grunt in pain. The other two mogs quickly grab me by my wrists, forcing me to my feet.

I stand in front of the third Mogadorian – the one that kicked me in the side. He stands tall as I am hunched over, held by the others. I can't break free.

The next thing I know, I'm hit on the back of my head and lose consciousness in the mogs arms. I can vaguely hear Henri yell my name before everything goes dark.