Chapter 82: Precision to Freedom

Once I finish, I put the letter in the pocket of my sweatpants and exit my room to find Five. I don't have that much time before I'm wanted in the docking bay to descend to the Sanctuary.

Just as the last time we spoke, he is in the same cell, with the same bandage over his eye and wearing the same torn and bloodied clothes.

He doesn't appear to be nearly as woozy or unsteady anymore. He sits against the side wall of his cell, breathing steadily and looking sane; calm.

He notices me immediately when I approach.

"Emily. How are you holding up?" Five asks on first contact.

"I'm fine," I lie. "Setrákus Ra said we'll be at the Sanctuary in less than an hour. Now is our chance to escape and find the others."

"I don't see how we're supposed to do that," Five says in a gentle tone that surprises me. "I mean, I'm his prisoner now."

I take a moment to think.

"Can't you use telekinesis to pick the lock on the cell door?" I ask, thinking of possible ways to free Five.

"No, I can't," he answers and turns his head to reveal what appears to be a metallic chip attached to his temple. "I can't remove it. I've tried. It prevents me from using any of my legacies."

My only response is to look away in sadness.

"Maybe you can do it," Five says, trying to raise my hopes. "Pick the lock, that is."

I look up at him again, his one eye showing a particular attentiveness.

"Me?" I ask, surprised and confused. "I don't have nearly as much precision as you. I can't even stop a bullet. I haven't done anything close to picking the lock of a door with telekinesis."

"You can do it Emily. I know you can," he says. "Besides, stopping a bullet is much harder than picking a locked door."

I stare at him.

He is serious. He believes in me.

"Okay. I'll try," I reply.

And so, I concentrate.

"Use your telekinesis to search the inside of the lock," Five begins, his voice quiet in an attempt to not disrupt my concentration. "Do you feel the pins?"

I do as Five instructs, feeling around the tiny area where a key is usually inserted.

"Yes, I think so," I answer.

"Good," says Five. "Gently push them upward. All of them."

I do so. One by one. Until each small metallic pin is held higher than it originally was. As if a key was placed within.

"Okay," I say. "Now what?"

"Now, you turn the key," Five states. "The cylindrical tube that your telekinetic key fits in is open now. All you need to do is turn the tables."

It takes a conscious effort to maintain my telekinetic focus. Keeping the pins upward to turn the mechanism that a key would normally turn is a difficult task. I am not used to this kind of precision.

My eyes focused on the lock, soon I hear the click.

The door slides open slowly and I let go of the telekinetic hold.

Five smiles and I smile back, wiping a bead of sweat off my forehead.

"Nice job Emily," Five congratulates as he stands and walks out of the cell. "I knew you could do it."

"Thanks," I reply. But as soon as Five stands free in the empty hallway, a siren sounds.

A single wailing shriek from an alarm on the opposing wall, staring at Five and I while it emits a long ding.

Thinking fast, I use my telekinesis to yank it from the wall, where it falls to the floor and ceases its scream. Although that doesn't stop the others from continuing.

"We need to hurry," I continue. "Setrákus Ra is expecting me in the docking bay soon. I'll descend with him to the Sanctuary and you follow behind."

"Sounds like a plan," Five responds. "And if he suspects your loyalty wavers?"

My eyes fixate on Five's gaze, expression turning cold. "Then he suspects it," I respond firmly. "I'm going to stop him from stealing what doesn't belong to him. Or I'll die trying. Then I'll run. I hope you will too."

Five says nothing at that; only nods.

"Make sure no one notices you," I remind. "Stay hidden. Don't let anyone see you."

"Obviously," he says though not in a disrespectful manner.