Chapter 125: Living to End

John is out of bed before I am, showering and making a pot of coffee while I still lie under the covers in fuzzy pyjama pants and bra. Pixie is at my feet, resting at ease.

As John walks back into the bedroom with his morning cup, I don't notice him watch while I focus on telekinetically bringing my white t-shirt on the wooden chair to my hand.

It doesn't move; doesn't rise in the air unhanded by the physical at all.

I feel as stupid as ever.

"It'll come, don't worry," John says, walking over to the chair to hand it to me himself before sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Only if I don't die before then," I say blandly, not willing to meet his gaze in the disappointment of my still missing legacies.

John reaches for my chin; tilts it up so I meet his eyes.

"Hey," he says with such purpose and drive. "I am not going to watch you die. Never is that ever going to happen. Never is it ever going to become an option. Don't even think about that. We will find a way Emily, trust in me."

He leans in to give me a quick lingering kiss to my lips. Then stands and heads to the kitchen, allowing me to get changed and ready for the day.

"C'mon. We'll go see Nine and Malcolm in the administration building," he adds on his venture to the kitchen.

I only nod, still short of hope yet willing to face it all with John at my side.

I shower, wash my face, change, and cannot help but glance at the four pendants lying on my chest. For the fallen and for Lorien.

My pendant seems to glisten once in its blue cobalt nature. If I had blinked, I would have missed it. A small glimmer of hope to prove that Lorien is still with me and that I am not alone.

12 days left.

John and I visit Nine and Malcolm in the Professor's office, trying to come up with plans for not only my situation but the whole situation with the Foundation.

"Bullshit!" Nine shouted as soon as I finished retelling what happened with my encounter of the psychotic triad.

"Excuse me?" I say while the others remain silent.

"Not to be rude or nothing, but who said you are weak without legacies Emily? Did Drac tell you that?" Nine elaborates, emitting a laugh. "In case you didn't know, rule number one of being a superpowered badass is never listen to your opponent."

"Really Nine?" says John disbelievingly and almost annoyed.

"Yeah, really Johnny," Nine continues. "Em is literally the strongest out of all of us. Like seriously? Having your wrists scarred and being tortured by that shithead Ra? Nearly dying against him when we fought him the first time? Being kidnapped and scarred by a charm he was desperate enough to put on you? That shit he pulled during his grand appearance in New York City? Not to mention destroying that big bitch herself at the Sanctuary. All on your own! How could you not tell her of the strength she had through all of that Johnny?!" he says, glaring at John with an almost playful shame before turning to me. "Emily, legacies or no legacies, you are one hell of a fighter. Always have been and always will be. Don't let any shitheads tell you otherwise. Knock their teeth out if they try. And if they try to knock out yours in return, well, you just come get me, you hear? I'll put 'em in their place."

While the pain of my past still lingers at the forefront of my mind, I offer a grim smile. As usual, Nine is telling me what I need to hear. Lorien give me the strength to hear and believe it.