Chapter 94: The Tenth

Lexa flies the ship as fast as it can possibly go, which must be at least over 500 mph.

We are almost there.

She sits in the pilots' chair, focused on keeping us just above cloud cover but low enough so as not to be picked up on any radars or satellites. Adam sits co-pilot with Dust in his lap, watching our pilot with keen interest. Learning the controls and functions in case he needs to take over, I assume.

John and I sit on a cot, Six at another one nearby.

Since we left Ashwood, all I can think about is that girl.

Dark jet-black hair with green eyes. Stuck under several tons of debris. Unharmed. Unhurt by their blasters and swords. No cuts or scratches or bruises or broken bones. Invincible.

How could that be? Is it possible that a child can receive legacies? No matter how dire a situation seems? Does she know how to control it? Did she develop any other legacies since the fall of Lorien?

Apart from the images I've seen of her already, on Lorien and in the cave, the only other image that comes to my mind is what could've happened to her in her time in Mogadorian imprisonment. All those years.

A girl in chains, as I have been. Spine against a cold stone wall. Hanging for days by the wrists. Not knowing if you will be let down. Not knowing how long you can hold out for without breaking.

Alone. Helpless.

Doubting if there is any way out.

Unknowingly, I rub the green scars that cover my wrists, remembering my time in captivity and the pain I endured; my heart breaks thinking that she might've experienced the same.

Only when John places a hand on top of mine do I snap back to the present. "Everything okay?" he asks gently.

I don't meet his eyes; pause. "I was only imprisoned in there for a week John," I start. "I can't imagine that girl going through the same as I had for longer; for years."

John is silent, unsure.

"I know," he eventually replies lowly. "I wish it wasn't true..."

I still find him staring at my wrists, in which case, I grab tightly onto his hand to have his eyes settle on mine.

"I promised her that I'd get her out of that cave," I say. "I promised I'd free her. If I fail..."

"You won't."

I am too invested in my own thoughts to realize that the interruption didn't come from John. But Six.

When I do realize the change in tone, however, I look to her.

"But if I do," I say again. "If I'm not able to get her out and Setrákus Ra gets his hands on me again..."

"We will get to her Emily," Adam states firmly, anticipating my thoughts. "Whatever happens, she'll walk free today. And so will you. I give you my word."

I only nod.

The rest of the trip is made in silence.

When we finally arrive to the familiar mountain, it is near noon. The sun high in the sky, beating down on us. There are birds in the nearby forest chirping their afternoon tunes. No vehicles pass on the faded gravel road, overgrown by vegetation.

I take a step toward the entrance of the luring foreboding cave, the bush and wild plants brushing against my calves.

"Take the ship a few miles off," I hear John instruct to Lexa behind my back. "We'll contact you telepathically when we're ready."