Chapter 50: Think Telepathy

The night has passed.

My family and I and Pixie are safe. Resting thoughtfully in an old motel room nearly 200 miles east from the mountain, though none of us were able to get an ounce of sleep except my Brother.

I managed to communicate with Ella; heard her in my head via her newly developed legacy of telepathy. I must admit, she is getting better. Whenever I hear her soft voice in the back of my mind, it is clearer and sharper than the last time. Often times, I find myself looking wildly around the room I'm in to see if Ella is nearby, and yet never finding her. How real it feels.

"What's going on?" says my Father abruptly from the silence of the motel room.

My parents keep asking questions; that being the most frequent one. I've told them everything I could. Informed them of the Loric, Mogadorians, and threat to Earth. Even of Pixie. I haven't explained it all, only the vaguest details. It's for their own safety, I decided. I wish I could tell them everything, but I worry that the more I expose the less safe they will be. They've already been captured once and used as leverage. I cannot let it happen again.

I've caught my parents eyeing my wrists and the nasty scars encircling them from my days in Mogadorian captivity not long ago. Though I haven't said anything of it. As difficult as it was to look back, I didn't want to burden them.

"We are here," says Ella's gentle voice in my mind.

It is still dark outside. There isn't much near the motel apart from the surrounding forest and a small lot enough for a dozen cars. The closest plaza is likely ten minutes away, only a lone country road visible leading to this isolated place.

There is a white Mercedes Sprinter idling at the entrance. All the Garde and Cêpan are standing near outside, including BK.

My family and I walk out front slowly, Pixie flying ahead in the form of a hawk.

On approach, John comes running and wraps his arms around me in relief, burying his face in my shoulder. "I'm so glad you're alright," he says.

I'm more than a little flustered with his sudden display of affection, especially with my family near. Though after a short moment, I hug back in return.

After some brief introductions from my family to the Loric, I suggest laying low in the motel for a few more days before traversing elsewhere.

"Where are you going?" my Mother asks, latching onto my hand.

"I have to help the Loric," I say initially. "I have to stop the Mogadorians from hurting others like they did to you."

My Mother smiles earnestly. Though my Father doesn't seem approving.

"I'll be fine dad," I add, pulling him into a tight reassuring hug. "I'll come back to you. I promise."

When we step apart, my Father emits a deep low sigh and simply nods. "Be safe," is all he says, and I can tell by the look in his eyes that he is scared.

It's not easy, leaving the people I love to fight in an intergalactic war that no one seems to know exists. I don't even know how I manage to do it.

One moment I am standing in front of my family, viewing my young Brother hide away from the Loric behind my Mother's leg. And the next, I am watching them in the side mirror in the back seat of the van while Henri drives us southwest.

I am only sparked to life when they disappear from view and John's arm is placed around me.

"You alright Emily?" John asks, holding me close.

It takes me a moment to put thoughts into words.

"I'm just so worried about them," I finally say, keeping my gaze keen on the mirror that holds nothing but passing forest in its reflection.

John tilts my chin up to give me a delicate kiss on my lips, saying once he pulls away, "They'll be okay. We will be okay."

I smile in his touch; reply, "I know."

"So, where to Johnny?" Nine asks, leaning onto John's lap and thus intentionally getting into our business. "Can't exactly go back to Chicago now that the mogs know where my penthouse is. Where're we headed?"

Although he doesn't express it, I know Nine is disappointed in losing his 2-story luxurious home. I feel sorry for him, and I can't help but feel it is all my fault, which of course it is. I could've never responded to those messages that gave away our location. I could've chosen to ignore. Deep down, I know I could never, but still, I could have.

I know I should apologize for leaking our location to the mogs, though I am unsure of what to say.

"I'm sorry Nine?" I think initially before deciding that it isn't enough. "It's my fault they found us. I wish I didn't. I wish they didn't find out...?" I shake my head subtly. "No that sounds terrible."

I catch Nine smiling in my direction, though I don't understand why.

"Doesn't sound so terrible Emily," he says casually, as if he heard my thoughts. "Top notch apology in fact. I appreciate it, but it wasn't your fault."

I'm shocked. I can tell everyone else is too, the van gone silent. Nothing but the sound of other cars cruising past us on the highway.

"How'd you know what I was going to say?" I ask.

"I heard you. In my head," Nine answers coolly. Then, with an impressed smile, adds, "Emily, I think you're developing another legacy."

My jaw drops open ever so slightly, in disbelief.

"Telepathy!" Ella shouts, understanding. "You're developing it too!"

At Ella's excitement, the surprise is out the window and I smile at the possibility.

John takes a hand of mine in his for the second time in the past 15 minutes and gives me another soft kiss on the cheek. "That's amazing Emily," he says, and my smile only widens.

"So, uh, we're going to...?" Marina restates with genuine curiosity, bringing the group back to the original question.

"Mexico," Crayton answers after a pause. "Head to Mexico. I've got an idea."