Chapter 145: Destiny

"You can what?!" Nine shouts in astonishment and skepticism, bounding up in his office chair yet without getting in our faces. I only smile.

"That was my first reaction too," I say, remaining calm and in my seat on the couch. "But I believe Pittacus Lore is right. I believe I can restore Lorien."

"What makes you say that?" asks Five, glaring at me in confusion from his seat across from me.

"In the vision, when I walked on Lorien's deceased grounds, I didn't walk on ash," I explain. "There was ash all around me and all around Pittacus, but under my feet was life. And it makes sense."

"Makes sense? How so?" Malcolm questions curiously, at an angle that leaves him perpendicular to the desk that Nine sits behind.

"Even Setrákus Ra said it," I state, my expression seeming to sadden when I mention his name. "My legacy, Eneration, can be used to give life and energy to living things. It would explain why black turned to green only under my feet."

"Whoa, let's say, for just this moment, that this is possible. That you can bring life to a dead planet with your legacy. Why didn't you know this before?" asks Nine.

I shrug; reply, "I never had the opportunity to test it. It's not like I ever came across a barren wasteland in need of restoration. Isn't that a good thing? But, Earth has many dead spots. If I can find one, I might be able to try it and see what will really happen."

"There is a lot to consider," Malcolm says as he scratches his chin thoughtfully. "If we decide to do this. There is lots to prepare for and a lot that we don't know. Risks that we could encounter and unknown factors that may come into play. Not to mention that we'd need to assemble everyone if you were going to go through with this. Are you sure you want to do this Emily?"

Malcolm has a point.

There are risks involved. There could be dangers that I have never faced.

As great as it seems to restore an entire planet and rebuild an entire culture, it may not be so simple. It may not be as blissful as we make it out to be.

Pittacus Lore's voice echoes in the back of my mind.

To reach the core brings a heavier price.

Yet I know where my heart is at.

And I know what I want to do.

This is my destiny. This is what I was meant for.

All that time on the run. All that time in hiding. All that time wondering why it was me that Lorien chose to hold the most powerful and rarest ability of the Loric.

This could be it. This could be the reason.

"Emily?" says John, bringing me back to our conversation. "If you don't want to do this, you don't need to-"

"I do," I answer at last. "I do want to do this, without a doubt."

"To restore Lorien?" Agatha jumps in. "Wow. That's, uh, that's a huge task. But, it can't be that simple, can it?"

"Bae is right," Nine agrees, tone all serious. "There has to be a catch."

"There's no catch," I lie. "Pittacus Lore said I have the ability to restore Lorien and that is exactly what I want to do."

There is a silence for a brief moment where they all look to one another as they process what this means.

It isn't long before I sense the excitement within all of them.

"Alright, if that's what you want," Malcolm says, being the first to break the silence. "We should start preparing. If I'm not mistaken, the journey to Lorien is supposed to take a year, correct?" John and Nine both nod their heads in confirmation. "It'll be a lot to prepare for the journey," he continues. "Food, water, your Chests. We'll need to contact the others and tell them the news; I'm sure they would want to see Lorien be restored as well. And-"

"Whoa, slow down Malcolm," Nine interrupts with a chuckle, holding up his hands. "Babe and I can handle supplies. I'll talk to Lexa about running a full diagnostic on our ship. Johnny and Fivo, do you think both of you can get in contact with the others?"

"Why? Just because I can fly all over the world?" Five questions back in a critical but semi-playful manner. "It takes time and effort tough guy."

Initially, Nine only stares. Then replies, as steely as can be, "Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. How'd you know?"

John rolls his eyes at Nine's and Five's continued banter, and instead focuses on the tasks at hand, "I can handle gathering the others. Five, can you inform Karen Walker? We still have a problem on our hands."

"What's the problem?" Agatha asks.

"The Human Garde?" says John. "If we leave Earth, there'll be no one to train or protect them."

I stop and freeze, my gaze automatically shifting out the office window behind Nine; at the overlooking campus.

I promised to protect the Human Garde.

We said we'd train them and hone their legacies. We can't just leave them on Earth for a whole year to fend for themselves, especially since there's people out there waiting to get their hands on them; the Foundation or Magdalena for instance.

"Damn, you're right Johnny," Nine says. "We can't just leave them here."

"There won't be enough room on the ship to take them with us to ensure their protection," I add.

"I don't think that will be a problem," Malcolm says. We all turn to him, urging him to elaborate. "Nine, your students are strong; you've trained them well. They'll still have the academy to stay at and train. Their families will still be safe. They'll still have the training exercises to work on while you're gone. I'm confident that they'll be alright. Besides, I'll still be there to help them," he finishes.

And at that, John and Nine look at one another in consideration.

"Malcolm, you can't possibly expect us to think that you're staying here. If there's anyone that deserves to see Lorien, it's you; you've helped our people since the beginning," John says in instant reply. "Plus, Sam would love to see Lorien," he adds.

I slide my hand into John's casually and smile. "He's right. Come with us Malcolm," I urge.

Malcolm smiles at the offer and thinks it through.

Finally, he replies, "My son would kill me if I didn't let him visit another planet. Although his mother would miss him, it doesn't seem like I have much of a choice, now does it?"

We all smile and chuckle at that.

"We'll be back in a couple years or so. I get that it's a long time, but it won't be permanent," John states, his expression fading into a serious one.

"I'll get in touch with Sam and tell him the news," Malcolm concludes with a smile.

"Great," I reply. "In the meantime, I'd like to visit my family before the preparations are set. Is that-"

"Of course," John says, as if he knew that I was hoping it would be alright. He pulls me in close to plant a soft kiss on my forehead. "Of course it is okay."

"They deserve to know what is going on Emily," Malcolm adds. "Be honest with them."

Five smiles. Agatha nods in agreement.

"Are you sure?" I ask them all. "I don't know how long I'll be away. I might end up spending the rest of my time on Earth with them before we leave for Lorien. I want to help – I hate for you all to make all the preparations without me – but-"

"Hey, don't worry about it Em," Nine chimes in. "Enjoy the time with your family. You haven't seen them in over a year. They'd want you to return home."

I simply nod, again, feeling the guilt of leaving them in the first place and having not returned when the invasion was over.