Chapter 73: The Traitor Returns

In a state of unawareness, my eyes snap open and they glow a vibrant cobalt blue. As does my body. My skin, my eyes, my hands. They are all an azure glow. My entire body is an azure glow.

The crowd grows silent.

I approach the stage. I approach Setrákus Ra.

I stand in front of our enemy and look him in the eyes. Through my own vocal cords, Pittacus Lore speaks in his own unique voice, "The end is nigh old friend."

My body turns to face the crowd and rises, hovering at least twenty feet in the air.

When all eyes are focused on me, Pittacus begins, "I am Pittacus Lore. Recorder of the fates. Chronicler of the Legacies. I tell the tales of those who would shape worlds."

He pauses.

"I was once an Elder on the planet Lorien, meant to protect my people. Until a threat arrived. That threat, is right here," he continues.

My arm gestures to Setrákus Ra, who stands motionless and in awe. Though I have no control; for this is Pittacus Lore's doing and it does not feel forced.

He continues, his voice echoing majestically through the air projected out at the crowd.

"He decimated our people. Destroyed our sacred planet Lorien. Took its resources to continue his detrimental research. Now he's come to Earth to continue his work. The Garde, are a group of our people who survived the fall of Lorien. They carry legacies, powers granted by our planet in a matter of defense. Now they are here to protect you."

He waits; scans the crowd.

"The body of which I am temporarily occupying is of Emily De Silva. A human who was once like you. I have granted her with the most powerful legacy held by my people, so that she may be able to fight back against this threat and protect those she cares about. However, she is hurt. Setrákus Ra has gotten to her. He injected her with toxic chemicals, not found on Earth, of which prevent her from using her gifts. She is currently incapable of fighting back and is forced to endure his own desires. All I ask, is for you to give them your support. It is up to you to decide what that looks like. You may join the fight if you wish, under your own risk. Or you may simply support them elsewhere by other means. Do not let governments or hierarchy tell you what is right. Listen to your own values. Follow your instincts. And this world, shall flourish."

My arm rises once more, and I point my glowing palm out toward Setrákus Ra again. It glows far brighter than it ever has before. A bright blue beam of pure Loric Energy projects outward from my palm directly at his staff – The Eye of Thaloc, leaving it shattered into a million pieces.

Setrákus shouts in frustration.

His real face spreads through, revealing his unnaturally pale skin, black eyes, and thick purple scar.

The crowd gasps.

Before Pittacus sets me down, he speaks one final time, "His name is indeed Setrákus Ra. He is not only our enemy, but now yours as well."

As I float gently down to the edge of the stage again, the glow from my body fades back to my previously tanned skin colour – tanned as it was before the circumstances of Setrákus Ra's experiments. My eyes return to normal.

When it is clear that Pittacus has left my body, I collapse to my hands and knees, feeling weak and faint.

I can tell everyone is trying to make sense of what they have just seen. Though I have no idea what happened.

The crowd remains silent.

Setrákus Ra eyes his broken staff. Then looks to me in rage.

I don't notice him start toward me; don't even sense him approach. The electrifying pulse buzzes to a higher frequency and the black ooze that he injected me with resumes its vicious lively nature, churning through my body.

Still too weak to do or say anything, I remain frozen on my hands and knees, catching my breath.

"You will die for this embarrassment child," he says as he forcefully grabs me by my wrist and pulls me to my feet. I shout as my knees leave the ground.

I pull. I twist. I even try telekinesis or my Eneration.

None of which work.

He forcefully takes me to the ship that we arrived on.

I hear John yell my name. I know he's following us. Though Setrákus' pace is fast, and his grip is strong. I have no choice but to follow.

Before Setrákus reaches the ramp to the tiny white vessel we arrived on, Five lands in his way.

"Five. What is the meaning of this?" Ra asks with impatience.

"Let her go," Five demands simply.

"I gave you everything boy," Ra protests.

"You gave me nothing!" shouts Five.

Setrákus stares at Five and Five does not avert his gaze.

"You think they value you boy?" Ra starts again. "They don't. They only want to use you. You are nothing but a pawn to be used in their battles. If you joined me, you'd be treated better, as my right hand. I am willing to offer you another chance."

Five goes silent, avoiding eye contact.

Even in my weakened state, I can tell he's unsure of what to do. Even while Setrákus holds my wrist tight enough that it hurts, I know what I have to do.

I use my telepathy to reach out to Five's mind, ignoring the agony inside as best as I can.

"Don't listen to him Five. He's lying. You're more than that to us. You're our ally. Our friend. My Garde that I promised to protect and train. You're better off with us than with him; you know this. Please. I'm begging you. Don't let him take me again."

There are tears in my eyes now. I realize that I'm desperate. Desperate to get away from him. Five stares at me. He heard me, but what comes out of his mouth next surprises me.

He looks back to Setrákus Ra and replies, "I know. To them I am just a kid that can fly. They don't care for me. They don't see what I can do. Hell, some of them even mock me. I wasn't thinking straight. I wasn't in my right mind. Ever since you sent me to act as a spy among the Garde, they tried to get in my head. Tried to turn me into something I am not. But now however, I see clearly. You took me in when I had nothing. You trained me; molded me. You were a better Cêpan to me than the Elders could ever give. Please. Forgive me, Beloved Leader. I wish to rule beside you, like you told me so long ago. I know the Great Book doesn't allow for forgiveness, but I hope you will make me an exception."

As soon as he says it, Five goes down to his knees and bows before Setrákus Ra, practically begging for forgiveness. I can't believe my eyes.

Still struggling through the pain inside me, I try to speak, my voice quiet and weak and in disbelief, "Five... why?"

I stare at Five. The need to pull away from Ra's grasp has completely left my mind.

Five doesn't have a chance to reply.

"As you wish boy. I will give you one more chance Five. Come on. Inside!" Ra commands.

Five picks himself up off the floor while Setrákus turns to me, still holding my wrist by a firm grasp.

I gulp.

His fist meets my stomach so fast, there is nothing I'm able to do to prevent the blow.

Blackness unfolds around me as my consciousness wavers.

I'm picked up off my feet and held in his arms. My body goes limp and both Setrákus and Five continue hurrying up the ramp.