Chapter 41: Let Me Go

I leave the letter on the bed and exit my room, giving Pixie a pat on the head and encouraging her not to follow me. 

I prepare for the journey back to the cave, stopping by the Lecture Hall to grab a gun off the shelf along with plenty of ammunition. Since I can't exactly replicate that power inside me on my own will, I figure a simple pistol should do the trick. It's small, portable, and I can easily hide it away in my back pocket. I also take a knife just in case and strap it to my waist.

Then, as quietly as I can, I head toward the elevator. I push the button and wait.

As I am about to enter the elevator to leave, I hear a voice speak delicately behind me, "What are you doing?"

I turn around, startled, to find Ella standing a short distance behind me. I instantly feel embarrassed; I don't know what to say.

"Ella, you startled me," I start, still settling from the moment of surprise.

She merely shifts her weight from one leg to the other. Then asks again with her head tilted to the side, "What are you doing?"

I look into her big brown eyes and remain silent, not wanting to tell her my plan.

After a brief awkward silence, I come up with a small lie, hoping she won't ask any further questions, "I, uh, couldn't sleep. So, I was just going to take a walk in the park to clear my head."

I hate the idea of lying to her.

She looks at me innocently, like she knows it can't be true. My palms become sweaty.

After a moment, she begins once more, "No one must've told you yet." I watch her intently with a hint of confusion on my face, urging her to elaborate. "While you and the others were out, I developed a Legacy."

I look away, thinking back to what Pittacus mentioned. When I meet her gaze again, I respond, "Wow. A Legacy huh? That's, pretty exciting. Which one?"

"Telepathy," she answers. "Crayton has been helping me control it. It's hard, but I'm getting better."

I figured as such. Same as what Pittacus told me in his novels. Now I'm really nervous. Has she been reading my thoughts this entire time?

I stay silent, unsure of how to continue.

"Emily, I know you just want to keep John and everyone safe, but please don't go back," she starts again. There's a moment where I'm surprised to hear Ella say my intentions out loud, though that stunned reaction only lasts a few seconds.

I turn away and look down at the floor, not wanting to admit it.

Uncomfortably, I reply without making eye contact, "I'm sorry Ella. Setrákus Ra said all of you would die if I didn't go back in the next 24 hours. I have to go."

The elevator doors hiss and begin to close, and I put a hand in the way to keep them open. Ella then unexpectedly wraps her arms around me, burying her face in my stomach. "Please don't go. We need you," she whispers.

My only initial response is a simple rub on her back, and I let out a quiet sigh.

I step back and turn toward the elevator, staring down at the floor to avoid Ella's eyes. Though I can feel her watching me.

"I don't have a choice Ella. I wish I did, but I don't. All I know is I won't be the cause of anybody's pain. I have to go," I say with sadness in a quivering voice. "Just, stay with Crayton. Watch each other's back."

I step into the elevator before Ella can stop me and press the button for the parking garage. As the doors close, Ella and I lock eyes. I'm tempted to say something more but decide against it. When Ella's innocent and concerned expression leaves my view, I find anger lurking inside me; for what Setrákus Ra is forcing me to do.

I take a deep breath to settle my hands from shaking.