Chapter 132: A Deal of Two Sides

Upon arrival at our destination in Engelberg, Switzerland, Bea has a meeting point set up at a flattened clearing in the Alps. Not too far from the abandoned village above us and just large enough to set up an effective perimeter of armed mercenaries and snipers.

We are currently waiting for Wade Sydal, the founder of a corporation called Sydal Corp, to show up and make this deal.

Bea requested mine and Nigel's presence for this gathering. Along with another by the name of Jiao, a healer for the Foundation. All for protection it seems. Protection from Einar. I don't know why, but Bea suspects that Einar will make an appearance. Though that isn't what bothers me.

What bothers me is that she is expecting a threat. And whether that threat is Einar or John Smith, things could get tricky.

"He should be here soon," Bea says while a brisk wind blows through my long wavy hair.

And sure enough, he is. Though not by the transport I expect.

It isn't a car or helicopter that shows up to the chilly Alps, but a spacecraft instead. And not just any spacecraft. A Mogadorian spacecraft. One that I have not seen in over a year.

A Skimmer.

Just seeing it land and the ramp extend downward to the firm grounds brings a shiver down my spine. I can feel my Eneration summon on nerves and thus need to put in a conscious effort to keep myself cool.

An older man exits the ship followed by a young girl that is easy to recognize. She is the face of Earth Garde after all.

Melanie Jackson. Daughter to the President of America, Arnold Jackson.

They approach and I keep my attention alert, wondering where the hell John and Nine are with Karen Walker.

"Great to see you again Bea," starts Sydal in greeting. "Quite a spot for a distribution like this, ain't it?"

"Do you want it or not?" Bea questions strictly, not very keen on engaging in small talk.

For a moment, Sydal says nothing. Then continues with a slight judgment, "I see you picked up a few Garde. As far as I am concerned, you aren't authorized to have them. Whereas I was given one for matters of protection."

There is a judgment in his tone but there is also a touch of jealousy. I don't know if the others can sense it – Nigel or Jiao or Bea – but I am grateful that I can under the effects of my Eneration.

"That is great for you. A suitable selection," Bea responds nonchalantly. "However, mine have willingly chosen to be by my side. They are not authorized by anyone but themselves to be present here today. I prefer to keep it that way. I trust that you will keep our alliance in secret, Wade?"

The old man sighs; replies, "You are a piece of work Bea, but I am nothing if not a man of my word."

At that, Bea simply nods and a mercenary standing near steps forward to hand over a silver briefcase of sorts to Mr. Wade Sydal.

Sydal takes it and the mercenary steps back. Then he and Melanie both wander back to their Skimmer. Though just as they do, a helicopter comes swooping by over all of our heads.

The rotors loud in my ears and blowing my hair into a mess. It lowers close enough until something drops down from it with a large thud.

And there, Nine stands.

In the way of Sydal and Melanie's departure and in front of us all. John flies down with Einar and joins him at his side. Along with Five.

"What the shit is this?" questions the old man with the silver briefcase, using his free hand to shield his face from the wind of the HGA chopper.

Though as sudden as the confusion and surprise is, it is quickly washed away when I notice that Einar has his face contorted in concentration.

Everyone is suddenly brought to a neutral state of mind and their expressions shift from one of panic to one of calm. That is when I remember that these aren't the only ones we have to deal with.

"Careful. There are snipers up the mountain," I mentally inform.

I see John glance up toward where the snipers are placed, his eyes searching about, and before he flies off, I hear him think in return, "I'll take care of them."

With John off to deal with the snipers, I take Bea by the crook of her elbow. She does not react by my touch and only stands idle as I say, "Beatrice Barnaby. I appreciate everything you've done to get my legacies back, but I'm afraid we'll be taking you into custody now."

"Hurry," I hear Einar mumble through his teeth. "I can't sedate them for long."

And just as I hear him say so, the first shot rings out.

Then, everything goes to hell.